New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Music

Started by reirei, May 01, 2008, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reirei

I know this doesn't have anything to do with anime, but  it seemed like the most appropriate subject to put this under.

So what kind of music does everyone here like? metal? punk? country? deathrock? goth? folk?

What artists?

packrat

The Black Mages
Red Hot Chili Peppers
ALI Project

I think that's about it for me...

reirei

Quote from: B.u.S. on May 02, 2008, 04:35:32 PM
Never been a big fan of bands putting across messages - a song is only as good as their lyrics, and if a band starts to get all political or start to send a message, then you're listening only to the music they make. And if that music sucks then the band loses integrity.

For record I didn't laugh at you liking them, I laughed at the fact that you said their guitar playing skills were awesome. Good, but far from awesome if anything. I also said that they were good at taking simple riffs and making songs out of them, and not every band does that well. Green Day are fecking rich so they must be doing something right.

If you like lyrics and simplisity you should check out joanna newsom, she is this tiny little woman that plays harp and sings the most amazing poetry. just beautiful.

as for green day i have bee in the hard core punk sceen for to long to like them anymore, their music is just to poppy for my tastes.

right now i am really into cocorosie, portishead, oingo boingo, opeth, joanna newsom, and whatever else pours out raw talent.

oh and gogol bordello, everyone should listen to them at least once, they are fucking amazing.

Igotseven

for me
good lyrics=good meaning
personally i listen to lyrics and figure out the meaning. that way it becomes a memorable song. and most of the time i listen rock, pop rock etc
if u find it weird then its your problem
what has logarithms got to do with our lives

Ameboes

I'm mostly a fan of symphonic music. Romantic, modern classical, video game or film score (orchestra, of course), baroque/classical, in that order.

After that, heavier progressive rock/metal, symphonic metal, other metal in general (just no raspy/growling vocals, please). Some of my favourite bands include Dream Theater, Nightwish (not since Annette became vocalist though—they sound way too pop-ish now) and Metallica. Jimi Hendrix's style is one of the rare exceptions to my preference of heavier rock.

Can't stand death metal, hip-hop rap. I dislike country. Pop is occasionally tolerable, though save a few rare exceptions, I wouldn't voluntarily listen to it unless the only other choices were rap, hip-hop or death metal.

Ameboes

"Now"? So what about Metallica's older stuff?

MinaMurray

I'm glad to see that this board likes good music!  I have a few favorites myself.

The Mars Volta is among my favorite bands.  Their tracks are all solid and unique.  They all sound drastically dissimilar, but when you hear them, you know you're enjoying some Volta.  Also they usually throw in a few arcane words, which is lovely.

Coheed and Cambria's another great one.  I've heard all their music, and I have to say, they've really made a lot of progress as a band.  They don't just remake their old stuff, but at the same time, they keep what was great about their classics.  Also, they're great live, and I highly recommend you all to see them.

Led Zeppelin is my #1 favorite band, and they need no introduction.  Shit, do I even have to explain why I like them?  I don't think so.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of my choices!

Ameboes

Ah, The Mars Volta! I've heard some of their work, not much, but from what I did hear, I like them as well.

FallenStar

I know I'm going to get reamed for this, but....  xD

My favorite artist/composers would be:

Nobuo Uematsu (official composer of most of the Final Fantasy series)
Yoshinori Mitsuda (official composer of Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross)

Outside of Video Game music, though;

I like *early* Michael Jackson (back when his skin was still black and he was a kickass dancer) with songs such as:  Beat It! and "Thriller".

I also like one song of Garth Brooks - The Dance (though I like Westlife's version better).

Other artists I liked are:

Mariah Carey
Cyndi Lauper
Elton John
Nickelback (just for "Rockstar")
Chuck Berry (for "Johnny B. Goode")
Madonna (Material Girl)
John Williams (his composing is second to none)
Ray Parker, Jr (for "Ghostbusters")
Queen ("We Will Rock You", "We Are The Champions")
Kenny Loggins ("Footloose", "Highway To The Danger Zone")
Bonnie Tyler ("Holding Out For A Hero")
Michael Bolton ("How Am I  Supposed To Live Without You?")

Then, I like some J-pop too, most notably:

Ayumi Hamasaki
Hirano Aya
Yui ("Life")

I can tolerate most types of music *except* "Gangsta Rap", "Hip-Hop" and a lot of general Rap. (I don't say I hate *all* Rap, though, as there's a rather excellent Legend of Zelda Rap floating around somewhere... and some of Will Smith's early Rap seems to be decent.)

I do like some classical, though, such as Beethoven and Bach. (and the William Tell Overture)

MinaMurray

Star, you seem like you have good taste, but a short playlist.  I'd imagine that you hear the same songs quite often.

Have you ever tried just putting the names of those artists in a program like Limewire?  You can find lots of great tunes that way.

As for BuS, it's never too late to start getting the Led out.  A few good tracks to start with might be Dazed and Confused, Ten Years Gone, and the classic Stairway to Heaven.

Ameboes

QuoteNobuo Uematsu (official composer of most of the Final Fantasy series)
Yoshinori Mitsuda (official composer of Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross)

Uematsu wa, not for anything about IX. (He co-composed X with two other composers, and his music isn't the majority I believe.) I think he's overrated, personally; yes, he did write a few gems, but not that many.

And it's Yasunori. :P

Ameboes

Quote from: B.u.S. on May 04, 2008, 04:08:29 PM
I disagree with Uematsu being overrated. He honestly can't do every song single-handedly, but he is good for what he does.
Well, to me, his music's never been as great as people make it out to be, compared to some other composers. He has written a few good pieces, but most of it isn't so great to my ear.

MinaMurray

I agree.  Uematsu is EXTREMELY overrated.  His music is fine while I'm playing the game, but I wouldn't listen to it outside of that context.

A vidya soundtrack has to be really good for me to seek it out to listen to for my personal enjoyment.  Good examples would be Katamari Damacy and Disgaea.

Final Fantasy's music just isn't that memorable, really.

FallenStar

I *knew* I was gonna get reamed for saying it.  xD

Anyway, no to the HELL NO. Uematsu is *not* overrated and no, Final Fantasy's music is *greatly* memorable. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not good. ~_^

As for Mitsuda, well, I always misspell his name so I apologize for that.  :death:

Also, I don't like music just because one person does it; I'm not loyal to artists so much as I'm loyal to *songs*. Therefore, looking for songs on Limewire (which I might add is rather crappy on my computer in the first place - I suggest esnips, personally) is uber fail for me, lol.

Also, I'd like to say that anyone who says Uematsu is overrated, is clearly falling for the "FFVII is overrated" syndrome.  =P

MinaMurray

I think in the end, it comes down to the distinction between good and great.  Uematsu is good, not great.