New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Learning to draw

Started by Maelstrom, September 16, 2009, 12:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

I have always aspired to become an artist - it's always been the one thing holding me back from being able to complete my projects - lack of art skill. Before I believed I just didn't have the talent for it, but I've been looking at tutorials and practicing on my DS, and I gotta say, it's really not that hard and it's something I could get good at. I wish I could've posted the face I drew on my DS, it actually looked quite good, not professional by any means, but I was impressed with myself. Anyway, if anyone has any helpful suggestions or links on where I can get started, that would be great. I need to go out and get some drawing supplies (can you believe it, I don't have a single pencil in this house!)

TiaMaria

Well, it depends on the style you want to draw in.

In any case, your local library would be a good place to start.

Dissident

Quote from: leviathanmist on September 16, 2009, 12:48:02 AM
I have always aspired to become an artist - it's always been the one thing holding me back from being able to complete my projects - lack of art skill. Before I believed I just didn't have the talent for it, but I've been looking at tutorials and practicing on my DS, and I gotta say, it's really not that hard and it's something I could get good at. I wish I could've posted the face I drew on my DS, it actually looked quite good, not professional by any means, but I was impressed with myself. Anyway, if anyone has any helpful suggestions or links on where I can get started, that would be great. I need to go out and get some drawing supplies (can you believe it, I don't have a single pencil in this house!)

Practice.  Practice a lot.  There are plenty of art books out there and tutorial sites that give great pointers.  The easiest thing to fudge are proportions when drawing people, and I highly recommend paying careful attention to them.  I wish I could link you to a good tutorial, but I'm afraid I really don't know of any that I can recommend.  Go with Google and I'm sure you can come up with something.

Maelstrom

Yeah, I know the main thing is to practice. I also have Adobe Photoshop but I seriously don't know how to use it at all. Before I can start messing with my drawings, I'm gonna need a scanner...

LivingInfinite

Well, if you're serious about it I'd suggest focusing on your lines mostly at first...and if you're going to use digital due to a lack of a scanner, don't get distracted by weird Photoshop tricks and stick with the hard round brush.

The best books I've come across are Bridgman's anatomy books and Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing For All It's Worth (which is actually free online but I can't find it right now...). Another good one is Robert Beverly Hale's Master Class in Figure Drawing. Life drawing is also a great exercise...but you might be best served studying a bit of anatomy before you leap into that.

You should join us in the Original Content Thread too... :p Maybe I'll be able to tell you useful stuff for your art.

Maelstrom

Well thanks for the encouraging words, I guess...it's really up to me to get practicing, I suppose - and when I do get a scanner, I wouldn't mind posting some of my artwork for critique.

Scoozums

Youtube search for "how to draw" and you should get a lot of results.

Also deviant art has some good tutorials on drawing and coloring.

triforce1996

Just like Scoozums said, search either Youtube or Google. I prefer Youtube cause they show to you how to draw on a video and you see how they do it that way. I wonder if they made a book called "Drawing for dummies" yet...
Currently: Trying to get access to the gallery
Specific interest: Lolis, FDs

akemi

The root is practice practice and practice, I love to draw and i made a huge upgrade last years specially in colouring but all is for fun i have other job aspirations.
Deviantart has very good tutorial for almsot everything, well i particulary  use tradicional stuff colour pencils, markers are very good too but never tried
If you want to do it digital, first a scanner, then a tablet... about programms i heard that Open canvas and SAI are good ones
but no more to say I'm a "traditional " girl XD
hey, why don't you try any art school?? they must be usefull and you'll have  a teacher to correct you
good luck!

anastyanax

There are a few tutorials on Deviantart that will show you some basics...there's also google images. Of course, this advice will only be helpful if you practice. Hey, maybe even take an art class or something. Might even be fun! ;)