New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

List and discussion of japanese doujin FD/WS games

Started by Lisk, September 23, 2011, 03:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newp

It's a dummy title, there isn't an actual way to get it, sadly.

Lisk

And thus, the translation of Angel's World Map is completed! Turned out to be faster than I thought it would be. The game itself is ready to be played, I fixed everything I could find in the script, but if you find anything that looks wrong/weird, I'm always open to suggestions and will be more than happy to implement them. But now a much more difficult task is awaiting me: I need to make a readme file (as if someone reads them >_<) with a detailed guide of setting everything (locale, RTP, that kind of stuff) up, make it as simple yet detailed as possible and avoid making it look like I'm thinking that the end user is a complete idiot. Because some people are really beyond salvation. Or maybe I should just say that omo games are for advanced users only ^_^? Anyway, you can grab the game at the usual place, I'll move it to finished projects post once I make a proper description for it, which would be right after I grind this dungeon one more time. Or two times. Or three times. I need to get new clothes for my doll, after all. Or at least a proper maid skirt!

Franklin

Congratulations on finishing the translation for yet another game, Lisk. I eagerly await what's in store for us next.

Lisk

It is something that should have been done a long time ago. Something that started all of this. Tidying up the very first project ever made here. It's been three years since the idea of translating these games came across my mind and I never imagined where it would take me. But, while the quality of the first product was acceptable back then, it still have its flaws, typos and a few occasional mistranslations and even untranslated lines (that nobody told me about over the course of these years >_< ). But the times have changed, I (hopefully) have improved, and it's time to give the project that was the start of all of this the glory that it deserves.

So, without further ado:
Database - edited
Field - edited
Dungeons - 1/7
School - unedited
Event - unedited
Rev 1.1

Pass: nyo

There's also another thing that I'm slooowly working on. It's currently just an interface patch (which is almost ready, but requires some testing and image editing) and my experiments with an unfamiliar game engine, but it has a high priority on my to-do-if-possible list. It's just that, you see, we're waiting for a lot of good things to happen. First, TinFoil said that he's working on extraction/insertion tools for LiveMaker. That's what Yah-Yah-Doh games are made with. Lewd lolis for the lewd loli throne! Then 毒くらげ scheduled the completion of Hamuko-chan game in a month (7月20日). One more month, and we will have this. And I think to myself, what a wonderful summer.

EnragedFilia

Take heart, Lisk. My translation of Shikkin128 was quite a bit sloppier than that, and I'm way too lazy to make another attempt at fixing it up!

On top of that, I even copied the text for Nyo Time to a text file and got about a quarter of the way through my pieced-together translation before I lost interest. Compared to that, you're a regular professional.

SunnyDay

Franklin

I thought you were finished with it. Had I known you were going to go back to it, I would have told you about the untranslated lines. If you need any help with phrasing; feel free to ask.

Lisk

It's done! Wetters Taiken updated!

Contents of the update:
- Fixed a lot of typos and spelling/grammar errors. It's embarrassing how many of them there was.
- For balancing purposes, added new typos and spelling/grammar errors. Please report them if you encounter any.
- Fixed untranslated lines in some of the map and combat events.
- Fixed mistranslations of some subquests, most importantly, North-South Divide and holding contest.
- Made correct descriptions for some of the classes and generally made the script less rigid.
- Changed the .dll this game uses from 202E to 200J so the music note sign could appear correctly in the text box; added said .dll to game archive.

It's never too late to correct your past mistakes! You can fins the updated version at the usual place, but here's something more. A little bonus. It's a short, no, tiny puzzle game made with RM2K. It takes about fifteen minutes to complete, there's no art and not much of a story, but... why not? Think of it as of some news from JBBS. Anyway, here it is: Sanbon E.

In other news: after all these years, Feria is still a tsundere. I've been fiddling with the resources of a game that's so old that it doesn't even support 32bit color, and you have to change back to 16bit to play it. But what's even more dazzling is the problem I faced when I tried to modify its resources. Normally the problem is a) how to get game resources out and b) how to put them back. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it requires hacking tools (TinFoil, IRL when?!) because of encryption, proprietary archive formats and so on. But with Feria it's exactly the opposite: game script is stored in .lsr file that can be viewed with anything you want, as long as it supports Shift-JIS, but if you change even a single symbol, the game shows you this: game file not found! Okay, Feria, don't think that I will go easy on you. But... Renai95? This is going to be as much fun as ComicPly was.

Drying

Haha awesome! A Wetter's Taiken update!

I should fire up ye olde Windows VM again to play some games.

And the game you're having problems with... I don't know your technical skill Lisk, but I can have a look for you if you point me to some binaries.

Lisk

A fresh look at this problem would me most welcome, even though I've started poking around just to see what can be done with this game, so here's the archive. The binary file that holds the script is called feria.lsr. When I try to modify it, even if it's erasing and re-typing, say, Renai95 from the first line, leads to "cannot find game file" message, so I'm obviously breaking some header that tells the engine that game resources are there. I can probably figure out what I'm doing wrong on my own, but currently my hands are tied with making interface patch for a game about a certain selfish magician, so if you give me a hint on this one game, I will really appreciate that.

Franklin

Hey, Lisk - I'm having trouble with the dialogue cutting off in the latest update of WT.

Lisk

Oh, I didn't expect that. This is caused by the use of different .dll. It looks fine in the editor's preview (which uses 202E.dll), but the actual text is a few fixels wider than that. I will look further into that and probably switch it back to 202E, but for now you can get rid of this problem by manually editing game.ini file. Change Library=RGSS200J.dll to Library=RGSS202E.dll and it will fit the textbox again.

EnragedFilia

Quote from: Lisk on July 05, 2013, 10:53:26 PM
A fresh look at this problem would me most welcome, even though I've started poking around just to see what can be done with this game, so here's the archive. The binary file that holds the script is called feria.lsr. When I try to modify it, even if it's erasing and re-typing, say, Renai95 from the first line, leads to "cannot find game file" message, so I'm obviously breaking some header that tells the engine that game resources are there. I can probably figure out what I'm doing wrong on my own, but currently my hands are tied with making interface patch for a game about a certain selfish magician, so if you give me a hint on this one game, I will really appreciate that.
It's also possible that whatever you're using to modify the file is changing it in a more significant way while saving. I expect you've already accounted for changing from Shift-JIS to Unicode, but I've seen other differences such as that which results from whether an OS encodes a newline with one character or two. If you could compare them in a hex editor or something it might help to figure out what if anything is being changed.

edit: or on a more basic level, if Feria or whatever Feria is attempting to use to read the binary file in question is using a hardcoded offset to locate something within the file, simply changing the number of characters would break that behavior.

Drying

Took me a bit to figure out, but I got it working.
I'll write up a quick tool for you.

(the data file contains a header with offsets)

EDIT: Done!
Took a little longer than expected, because it turns out I missed a length header, and I kept working with a corrupt file -_-

These are small Python scripts. They evolved from the code I typed in my Python shell to test stuff, so it's really ugly.
It should kind of work though. This was written before I figured out the format, so if you want a better version, I can write up a new one.
What you need to do for these to run without code modifications, is place them in the feria directory, and then run them using Python 3 (tested using 3.3.2 on Linux).

Extract.py extracts strings in Shift-JIS from the file and inject.py inserts them again, updating the pointers.
After running extract.py, feria.txt is created. This file should be in unicode and can be edited with a regular text editor.
Now, running inject.py created feria_injected.lsr which can be renamed into feria.lsb to test it out.
For inject.py to work, a valid feria.lsr must already be present in the same directory.
It seems to be quite stable. I used a simple regex to replace a bunch of strings with the word "apples" and it still worked.

extract.py:
http://pastebin.com/ZXCCZEVT
inject.py:
http://pastebin.com/619kY8ik

If you need more help, feel free to ask.

Lisk

I've already said it on the talkbox, but IT WORKS! Now that I can do something with it, I feel obliged to do something with it. Well, this period of silence might also be filled with that. But don't think that I've been sitting around doing nothing! While it's too early to announce this as a project because I already said that I will be working on Hamuko-chan game once Aoi Kurage finishes it (and its subsequent patches), I've been playing around with a certain other game. As of now, it's just an interface patch, and even that is not completely finished, much less tested, but it's being worked on and I will post it here in a couple of days once I'm done with the most obvious gaps (like half of Achievements menu being translated and other half still in Japanese). I've started mastering Wolf RPG editor on hard mode - Circle WC used a lot of custom menus, which led to many confusing database entries and common events. But I figured most of it out (except card descriptions), and editing the actual plot text is not much different from RPG Maker, so... who knows?