New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

"Car Trip SA" My version of None and Faust's original

Started by turtlbrdr, October 05, 2010, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamic

10-4, good buddy.  Glad you got more time 'cause after that teaser shot you posted I got very curious about how your finished product will look.  It's obviously a lot more involved than the source material, and I'm really curious as to how the game will be played.  How much variation can the player's own decisions introduce?  I realize that the more functionality you add the workload increases exponentially, but I can already tell you have some grand things planned.

So, keep up the awesome work.  I'm sure there are more people than just me who are excited about this project.  Also, feel free to call on us for help (even if it's just to backup files).  I'm more of a Java/C programmer myself but as you know it all boils down to the same logic.  I also consider myself a capable creative writer, so there's that.

Dude, my phone is multitasking too much and this is sloooow.  I really should post from one of my PCs...

Whatever, Android never let's me down!

"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 16, 2011, 04:37:09 AM
10-4, good buddy.  Glad you got more time 'cause after that teaser shot you posted I got very curious about how your finished product will look.  It's obviously a lot more involved than the source material, and I'm really curious as to how the game will be played.  How much variation can the player's own decisions introduce?  I realize that the more functionality you add the workload increases exponentially, but I can already tell you have some grand things planned.

So, keep up the awesome work.  I'm sure there are more people than just me who are excited about this project.  Also, feel free to call on us for help (even if it's just to backup files).  I'm more of a Java/C programmer myself but as you know it all boils down to the same logic.  I also consider myself a capable creative writer, so there's that.

Dude, my phone is multitasking too much and this is sloooow.  I really should post from one of my PCs...

Whatever, Android never let's me down!

The player themselves can give the girl many of the various items put into the game. And the check menu will also offer a few options for interaction. However, the vast majority of player-girl interaction will be based upon the events system, which is what determines what actions happen (And is consequence the most pro-logic intensive portion in the game, because it has to be carefully sculpted to accommodate all of the current 48 events, and will continue to expand while I think up more)

The player's actions can have a profound effect on the gameplay, even if it's only a backside reach. Giving the girl a soda will cause her to have to use the bathroom, and the caffeine in it will cause it to happen earlier than if she had just drank water. In other words, the player has a very powerful influence on the gameplay, however, I feel it is in a more reach-around way than I'm used too.

This is another thing I hope to fix in the "full version" of Car Trip, I want to add that direct functionality, and it is literally the first item on my "improvements list".

I would love the help, especially since I think I'll have to outsource some of the code in the full version to C++ so that it can run faster, but it really depends on how much modularity I can build into VB. I haven't gotten into the main part of the engine (because of the aforementioned reason), and that will really define if it will be a pure child of VB or a bastard child with C++. As for backing up have enough backup hard drive now, and it's backed up regularly so there is little to no work that could be lost.

Dynamic

Call me a crazy, but I think Java lends itself well to this kind of project.  Execution speed isn't on the level of C++, sure, but it's plenty fast for something like this.  Also, building GUIs is a hell of a lot easier than with just straight C++ (Windows programming being an entirely separate discipline).  Also, Java is cross platform, so users can run the program on Windows, Linux, Mac, what have you.

I think of Java as being a lot like C#, only not strictly Windows.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 16, 2011, 07:12:39 PM
Call me a crazy, but I think Java lends itself well to this kind of project.  Execution speed isn't on the level of C++, sure, but it's plenty fast for something like this.  Also, building GUIs is a hell of a lot easier than with just straight C++ (Windows programming being an entirely separate discipline).  Also, Java is cross platform, so users can run the program on Windows, Linux, Mac, what have you.

I think of Java as being a lot like C#, only not strictly Windows.

I may try Java, I don't have known experience comparable with it though so it might take a while longer, adding more delay to a project I wish I could have out now. I'll look into it though. Though, I should rephrase my previous statement, while C++ is much faster, the real reason is the ability of modularity it allows. VB seems to be fast enough for my uses, and most of the stuff in Car Trip is control structure based so that only a fraction of the actual code is getting used. Fat amount of code? Yes. Fast enough for even semi-modern computers? I would assume so.

As for an update, I ran into a blundering stupid. I realized that my function for displaying the state of a girl's underwear in the check menu was completely useless. I stupidly forgot to add in variances for clothing. This also reminds me of another level of stuff that will be required to be accounted for in the modular clothing items files.

Dynamic

I know next to nothing about VB (my only experience being wading through none's source code for the original Car Trip).  I assume it's object oriented and runs on .NET (which means it's restricted to Windows and requires the runtime).  Aside from that I'm clueless.

Modularity, you say?  Could you be a little more specific?  Are you referring to OO, or something I'm totally missing?

Java essentially locks you into the OO paradigm, but it's stupidly easy to use.  C++, with it's multi-paradigm approach, is certainly versatile and it's lightning fast when used well, but it's quite complex.  For a project like this, I would certainly wanna use Java.

That said, if you DO decide to port to Java (or use C++) at some point I will offer what I know for the cause.  I'm no expert, but I think I know enough to be helpful.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 18, 2011, 07:03:01 PM
I know next to nothing about VB (my only experience being wading through none's source code for the original Car Trip).  I assume it's object oriented and runs on .NET (which means it's restricted to Windows and requires the runtime).  Aside from that I'm clueless.

Modularity, you say?  Could you be a little more specific?  Are you referring to OO, or something I'm totally missing?

Java essentially locks you into the OO paradigm, but it's stupidly easy to use.  C++, with it's multi-paradigm approach, is certainly versatile and it's lightning fast when used well, but it's quite complex.  For a project like this, I would certainly wanna use Java.

That said, if you DO decide to port to Java (or use C++) at some point I will offer what I know for the cause.  I'm no expert, but I think I know enough to be helpful.

I have to revise what I meant. I'm terribly sorry. I went around and studied a little more, and it happens I stupidly forgot that VB is basically created for internal server integration.

What I meant by modularity is the ability for much of the code to be appended by files outside the programs code. IE: The next version is going to have most of the dialogue and item specs in text files, in folders where they can be added to (with the addition of say another "personality" file). These files, once added to the folders can be added to the game (presumably from an in-game content manager, which will work in removing them as well).

As for object orientation, I'd just wiki it, I think it is, but I've never really know the difference.

Dynamic

Object Oriented programming is a paradigm that is defined by the use of classes for pretty much everything (all components being an instance of a class, aka an 'object').  It's a great method of programming because it greatly simplifies the task by introducing modularity.  I *think* VB is an OO language, but I don't know if it forces it (like Java).  OO is a bit complicated to learn, but when used correctly it's a beautiful thing.

Classes are self-containing, so they can be reused in different programs and modified freely without affecting the rest of the program (so long as the same inputs and outputs are present - the internal functionality can be changed as desired).  Also, it allows the programmer to think of the code as physical objects, rather than simply abstracted machine instructions.

Anyway, my offer to help is officially on the table.  I don't know how much I could contribute on the coding front as I am not familiar with VB (I do have Visuam Studio 2010 collecting dust on my harddrive though), but I am a capable writer and understand logic fairly well.  If you think of any task you'd like to off load on someone else, PM me.  I check the site every day.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 21, 2011, 04:07:46 PM

Anyway, my offer to help is officially on the table.  I don't know how much I could contribute on the coding front as I am not familiar with VB (I do have Visuam Studio 2010 collecting dust on my harddrive though), but I am a capable writer and understand logic fairly well.  If you think of any task you'd like to off load on someone else, PM me.  I check the site every day.

I don't know if it's what you meant by "...a capable writer...", but I could use some more dialog strings. That is what is taking up most of my time. There should be a text document a page or two back which explains a good portion of what I need. However, it was written a while back and I need several more situational strings. If this is what you meant by it, reply and I'll draft a new copy for the new text.

Dynamic

Yeah, I mean, I consider myself a capable creative writer.  I've located the document you mentioned, and am now looking it over.  Admittedly, I've never written anything like this (just lines detached from a story) but I'll mull over it for a while and see what I come up with.  If you do draft a new version, please try to be as specific as possible.  Include some sample lines to get the ball rolling.  That way I can understand exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT:

After looking it over, I'm a bit confused at how cleanliness preference should affect the lines.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 22, 2011, 01:23:21 AM
Yeah, I mean, I consider myself a capable creative writer.  I've located the document you mentioned, and am now looking it over.  Admittedly, I've never written anything like this (just lines detached from a story) but I'll mull over it for a while and see what I come up with.  If you do draft a new version, please try to be as specific as possible.  Include some sample lines to get the ball rolling.  That way I can understand exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT:

After looking it over, I'm a bit confused at how cleanliness preference should affect the lines.

It will be a couple days before I can get back to you (family circumstances), however, I will look into getting the document revised. Honestly when I writ that I was focused on other projects (hence why I writ it, so that people could get it back before I approached that part of the program). I will try to get that revised and redone so that it fully explains itself to what I'm comfortable with (I'm trying to keep most of it under wraps, so it'll be a surprise).

Anyway, like I said, it will be a few days before I can get back to you (or anyone else who's floating around out there - you know who you are). However, I will still try to keep up with anything you write, however, don't expect an in-length response until wednesday or thursday.

Dynamic

S'all good!  I'll spend the extra time practicing and researching (ie playing lots of desp themed games... for science!).

turtlbrdr

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Last week turned hectic with scheduling, and this week I need to take getting ready for my summer classes. I will try getting the list done, but I'm not sure how long it will take. This especially considering that I will return to school, with roughly the same schedule as before, next week.

turtlbrdr

Once again I'll soon be coming to a lull in m college career so I'll be having more time to work on Car Trip and it's sequels.

turtlbrdr

I haven't been working on Car Trip as much as I have, but today I have made some progress to planning V2.0 (the full version). I've found that at least a modular item system is possible using VB, and if I'm right it should be fast enough to suit many needs as long as I limit the amount of items of a reason able limit (100 items per category?).

The format for the list will also allow the use of custom scripts along with the standard stat modification. As of right now; Girls, Drinks, Food, Medicine, Toiletries, Clothing, Maps, and even the dialog system are due to be modular and each will have it's own specialty Editor for those who download what I deem the (Development Pack)

I will continue to work on version 1, as completing it will likely yield even more experience and possibilities for the the full version. However, even now I am realizing the version 1's sturdy but constricted architecture. Today, I realized how limited the current item system is: Each item being hard-coded and handled inside the program, it makes it a nightmare to change anything.

And so, I get to the resolution of my message; in short I am now looking for who will help with the development of Car Trip 2.0. I'm am not sure of the current list of things I would like to incorporate but I am looking for the current people

• Those who can make digital art. I wish to add some kid of visual aspect to car trip, specifically giving the girls faces and bodies to reflect those in the game. As I posted earlier in this thread, this would involve a small mountain of images to do, but it should be possible to do. The images would be handled in much the same way as a dress up game, but only the final visual aspect would displayed by after the computer "plays it"
  • Those who are somewhat creative about thinking about objects. I will complete the devkit programs far before the program and if I could put together a collection of fine items to start the game off with, I think it would benefit the game for the better.

Finally, for those interested in helping, I don't really have any money to pay you back with, however, if it means anything, I'm willing to give those who participate alpha, beta, and early final version access.

Any questions or replies will be answered as soon as possible.

none

Quote from: turtlbrdr on September 07, 2011, 04:55:58 PM

• Those who can make digital art. I wish to add some kid of visual aspect to car trip, specifically giving the girls faces and bodies to reflect those in the game. As I posted earlier in this thread, this would involve a small mountain of images to do, but it should be possible to do. The images would be handled in much the same way as a dress up game, but only the final visual aspect would displayed by after the computer "plays it"

Does 3dcustom girl art count? I've seen a lot of people use it, a VERY SMALL portion of which use it for wetting stuff (I.E. Creates the girl in-game and then adds the "pee" in Photoshop). I tried my hand at it myself:

Pros: No real heavy duty 3d modeling experience needed.   

Cons: ALL of the material including the stuff needed to import custom mods (Pee, poop, wet panties ect.) Is in Japanese and is not really all that easy to get to without being fluent.

Also I don't have Photoshop.   

[/list]