New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

"Car Trip SA" My version of None and Faust's original

Started by turtlbrdr, October 05, 2010, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlbrdr

There comes a time in every person's life when they must admit defeat...and instead of boring you all with a fascinating waxing on metaphors I'll get straight to the point.

My computer's hard drive crashed last Sunday(10/17), and rather than let everything I've worked for go to waste I decided to go ahead with the attempt at recovering the lost data. However, as it turns out this would have cost me in excess of $1600. And as a college student whose income is only comparable to that of McDonald's line worker. I could not have afforded to restore the data. Luckily the only thing seriously lost was my version of Car Trip. Half-done and now and ever to, lost to the world.

I say luckily because I still have the ability to rebuild the version I was working on. However, it will take some time. From now it will take about two weeks to get my computer back in working order, asiding any other problems with it. After that I estimate it will take yet another week to restore my life to normal and even to mentally start working on Car Trip again.

And it is at this time, that with a heavy heart, (I really wanted to play the game too!) that I must say that Car Trip's release is so forth, until I say otherwise, postponed indefinitely. I don't really want to make any promises, but as I see it now, Car Trip may be a Christmas release.

I sincerely apologize to anyone looking forward to Car Trip's upcoming release date. You've all been very supporting to me, and I thank you for that, I only hope I can continue keep and reward your support.

If anyone has any ideas about things to include in Car Trip please step forward soon. I will try to abide by the original details I outlined in my first post, but anything else is open to suggestion. This will help me a lot in trying to get back in the spirit.

In conclusion, thank you for you patience if you're still reading. And know that this isn't Car Trip's last update.

Sincerely, Turtlbrdr

Dynamic

It's on Valve time now.

Sorry about your HDD, yo.  I know how that goes.
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

oramisho

a hard drive's failure rate is in indirect porportion to the amount of progress a person has done on a project.

Lisk

Let's see, I've started to work on Wetters Taiken and my external HDD died a couple of weeks ago, turtlbrdr started to work on Car Trip and his HDD died now... Who's next, lol? Dynamic? I hope you're making backup copies. I know I do. They minimize the amount of rage you feel at the times like this. Luckily, only two of many HDDs I've been through died on me so far, and the other one was a 80MB Connor anyway. Anyway, let's hope there won't be any more casualties.

Dynamic

Oh man.  Maybe I should write out my code on paper and have it laminated  :S

turtlbrdr

Just wanted to update on what is happening on my front. And that is not much.

However, as it seems my computer maybe getting back to me sometime late this week. If this is so, like I said in my last post, I should be able to resume work on Car Trip by the 14th of November. Giving myself a good month to re-create what I lost, and create what was needed, we would most likely be looking at a December 25th release. This isn't set in stone, especially since I don't know where my computer is in the process, and if there is any extra damage that might need to be repaired.

Until next time, thank you for your continued support

turtlbrdr

It was a while coming, but I can finally say that Car Trip is finally on the road(interpret the pun as you want) again to completion. I found one of my notebooks (a physical one, not computer) has most of the item data I put into the first building, however the mechanics behind the game have been mostly lost. The only things remaining include vague references to the internal mechanics and what is still left in my pea-sized cranial hard-drive.

One would speculate that I will be able to recover the mechanics and improve on them, and I only hope so. As progress progressed things for the internal mechanics started to bind with each other, and the whole system got interestingly complex, but they didn't interfere with each other. Which reminds me of the other sad loss I took, the planning of the internal engine that I somehow spat out in a night's time, that would have seemed to work perfectly should it have been implemented.

So this is where I stand, without a lot of what I had and with significantly less enthusiasm (no doubt due to post-system-crash depression). However, I want to see this game done, and I want to see it done and ready to ship for December 25

One final addition, I have found a suitable test bed for Car Trip, the laptop I have been using during my downtime has the specs I am looking for, and will use it to test Car Trip.

So from now on I will again be modifying the main post on the first page, reporting my progress the way I had with the last build. And again I ask that anyone with a wish as to something they would like to see put into the game, please post it and let it be known.

Thank you for being patient I hope not to disapoint.

Mizukine

Glad to hear it... And I await the release with baited breath.
You are being shagged by a rare parrot.

Dynamic

I just wrote a random girl generator.  You should totally use something like that.

You know, that way every time you play it's a little different.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on November 11, 2010, 12:59:10 AM
I just wrote a random girl generator.  You should totally use something like that.

You know, that way every time you play it's a little different.

That's actually already implemented, on the new game screen, all of the girl's traits will be randomized, and there is a button to randomize them again. On a side note, another thing randomized is bladder (and bowel) size. While the user determines the overall size, the actual capacity can be a bit more or less.

Kenichi123

Can't wait for the game, seems promising. Also, if you go by 5-7% every day: you'll be done in about 2 weeks :D
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't take whatever I said seriously, Unless it has to do with anything I do-er-we-as-sh-... yeah. Just read what I wrote :(

turtlbrdr

*sigh* sometimes I think I have too much of an imagination and it often calls me in for more than I can handle.

This morning I figured on several improvements I would like to make to the existing Car Trip source. However, the problem is I can only concievably finish these improvements though a complete overhaul of the source code.

So far the whole project evens out to a bit over 200kb in size (the source of the original Car Trip being just over a Mb in size) however, none of the actual engine has been implemented yet.

There are two options I have thought about in this manor.
1) I could delay the release of Car Trip and redesign it to include these new features. Or...
2) I could complete and release the current project of Car Trip as a Demo or Version 1. And the new source would be the official release.

There is also a problem with time. As I mentioned in my update a few days ago (12/9/10, 20:17). I realize now that with the planning of the engine, and just the sheer amount of things I will allow the game to do is an enormous amount of coding work that still needs to be done. Not to mention the dialog that I have to prepare as well. In other words I want to go with option 2. Though, I still don't know if I will be able to complete the demo/v1 version by the 25th, but I will try. I have exams coming up next week, but after that I will be free to continue work on Car Trip more often.

Mizukine

I'd be happy with option 2. Something is always better than nothing.
You are being shagged by a rare parrot.

Kenichi123

How about:

option 3: Create a time machine and go back in the past, re make the game with your notes you took to the past: and have it done by christmas!

But better: I think you should do Option DOS. *(That's 2 in Spanish)*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't take whatever I said seriously, Unless it has to do with anything I do-er-we-as-sh-... yeah. Just read what I wrote :(

turtlbrdr

First of all I want to thank those who replied to my previous post. It can mean a whole lot when the developers and the consumers get together. (or at least that's what I've heard, have really released anything yet...)

I have rather disappointing news, besides this being the outright worst Christmas/December of my life, I've hit yet another set back on Car Trip. While programming the engine, I made a rather embarrassing mistake that dominoed into the whole source I writ until I noticed it down the line, so instead of having a complete engine right now, I have a couple of windows forms pages and a engine plan, again.

Quite frankly I'm having a hard time with dialogue as well right now, so that isn't helping either.

Right now I don't have a release date, but it won't be this year. One of the things that made this December so bad is my car dying soI will be out searching for a low budget one for what I believe will be the whole expanse of this week.

However, I will go with the popular opinion in my readers, and I will continue working on this source. The upcoming version will be a demo before I completely redesign the interface and release that as the full version.

Another thing I am looking into is developing Car Trip for Windows 7 phones. From the looks of it, the project as it is current can be easily transferred over, however I won't look into it until I am at least done with the demo.