New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

"Car Trip SA" My version of None and Faust's original

Started by turtlbrdr, October 05, 2010, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mizukine

Sorry to hear that. I can help with writing dialogue and actions, if you'd like. I'm fairly certain I could produce at least a decently varied list of unique phrasing and action descriptors.
You are being shagged by a rare parrot.

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Mizukine on December 26, 2010, 09:12:55 PM
Sorry to hear that. I can help with writing dialogue and actions, if you'd like. I'm fairly certain I could produce at least a decently varied list of unique phrasing and action descriptors.

I would like some help with dialogue if you are interested. I haven't even gotten to start writing phrases for desperation and wetting situations and stuff like that. I'll attach a list later of situations where I could use text. If you post another one with your lines I'll gladly give you credit in the program

I've updated this post with a copy of the document. If anyone wants to tackle some of the dialog then go ahead. However, don't feel obligated to do it all. Please read the instructions at the beginning it will help me transfer it into the game.

Mizukine

Is there a limit to the number of characters each line can have?

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Mizukine on January 06, 2011, 11:31:05 AM
Is there a limit to the number of characters each line can have?

Not really, especially right now. The general interface is still fairly soft and I can change things and make them bigger as I need to. But for simplicities sake...lets say around 1000, a little more a little less I won't mind.

Unfortunately, I just wish the programming was coming along just as well, the way I have the engine designed if I forget to put something into the flow, it means I have to start over on the page. I've had to do that about 3-4 times already, and classes are coming up for me, not to mention I may be getting a job soon

Mizukine

I mean is there a restriction to how many letters can be in one sentence or quote.

FallenStar

With the popularity of the FD games topics as they are, I wonder if I ought not make a separate section just for discussion and uploading of those.   :001_unsure:
Welp... I'm fucked...

Mizukine

Dynamic

Quote from: FallenStar on January 07, 2011, 06:20:28 PM
With the popularity of the FD games topics as they are, I wonder if I ought not make a separate section just for discussion and uploading of those.   :001_unsure:

I'm decidedly okay with that idea.  Anything that encourages development from otherwise on-the-fence people (err... like me).  Might even encourage collaboration.
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Mizukine on January 07, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
I mean is there a restriction to how many letters can be in one sentence or quote.

nope not really

turtlbrdr

After more than two weeks without a word, I think I at least owe all of you out there an explanation why I haven't been around and why I have been forced to postphone Car Trip's Release for "Quite a while".

Last week I started my spring semester of college, and with certain doubts, I am convinced that I have blindly walked into the three hardest classes I will ever take in college. With classes on every weekday except Friday, I have come home for the last two weeks exhausted. And while I do have intermittent breaks between classes, unfortunately working on Car Trip during school hours is unlikely to make me any friends should anyone grab a glance at my screen.

While I haven't stopped working on Car Trip my progress has been incredibly slow when I have. I often have to do it in short burst and when I come back to it next I sometimes forget things to do, and when I realize the mistake I have to end up redoing entire sections of code because of stupid little mistakes.

I'm sorry for these setbacks, but it will have to do for now, I can't afford to slip a class.

turtlbrdr

In the last few months I haven't had a lot of time to program for Car Trip (not even to look at it), however, I think I might be able to get a little time in the coming weeks. I'm not sure about it, though.

I have realized though, with as far as I am away from releasing Car Trip, I'm even further from releasing from releasing the "Full version" (those confused look to my post on Dec 11). I am thinking I will likely have to use libraries from other programming languages (not only visual basic) to accomplish what I want it to do. This will take time to learn the language, and then how to integrate it into a VB program.

One thing I was thinking about including was images to go alongside the actions of the game. However, this has three problems:

• I can't draw
  • I can't pay anyone, the most I could promise someone is a name in the credits and first dibs on the released version/beta
  • The game already has enough options that drawing an avatar for each would be tiresome to say the least. (4 hair colors * 4 eye colors * 3 breast sizes * 3 clothing choices = 144 images. Not to mention the extras I have included, which would take that total to 441 images)
  • The Full version is to be so modular, the only way to deal with it would be to build a modular image system to place items on the girls (think dress-up game) which I have no idea on how to code.

This said though, I make it a point to visit the forums at least once a day (often more), so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

[Edit]
I forgot to mention, one of the things holding me back right now are the lack of events. Events are anything that happens during the game (even sitting in the seat looking out the window is an event). If anyone has any ideas about events feel free to post them. They should be things you could do during a car ride.

I've also attached a teaser image of the shop screen

turtlbrdr

Currently, I am making progress on the "Check" menu. This is roughly equivalant to the Status menu from none's version. I still have quite a bt to go, but it's the text that makes it so long, the actual prologic behind it is rather simple.

Otherwise, I haven't had a lot of time to do anything with the game.

Dynamic

I am curious about a few things, such as how you are handling text output in your program.  I have other questions but I'm pressed for time at the moment and am also on a mobile phone.

So, for now I'm just curious as to how you are storing the text messages the player will see (in code or in a file/database?).  Also, I'm sure you said before, but this is in VB?
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

turtlbrdr

Quote from: Dynamic on May 14, 2011, 03:55:47 PM
I am curious about a few things, such as how you are handling text output in your program.  I have other questions but I'm pressed for time at the moment and am also on a mobile phone.

So, for now I'm just curious as to how you are storing the text messages the player will see (in code or in a file/database?).  Also, I'm sure you said before, but this is in VB?

I eagerly await the rest of your questions.

The text for the current version of Car Trip is held in-line. However, I plan for the full version to be completely modular, and since personalities are what Determines most of the text than that will be modular as well and held in text/database/xml files (haven't decided yet) to be popped in a used.

And it is, in fact, VB

turtlbrdr

I decided to release anther update. However, there's not much to report. Recently I have finished exams and after I've finished some personal business this Tuesday, I'll have pretty much free roam until the 6th of June. This means more time for my projects including Car Trip.

My current project is still the check menu, and getting the strings and processes done with that