New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

ignorance in society

Started by butterman100, August 09, 2009, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterman100

here we go folks. a thread based on all of what you consider ignorance that you encounter everyday in society. lets not get into any flame wars here since i believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. as long as said opinion is an actual opinion and not just some ignorance that un educated people intentionally spout out to confuse the masses. case in point, this website.

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

an entire community based on their "scientific theory" (if you can even call it that) that the world is in fact flat. opinions?
Follow no road, but the one paved by your own hands.

wunderwutzl

I don´t know if my English is good enough for that,but... A ship sailing away does not just become smaller and smaller from the POV of somebody standing  on the beach watching it. It seemingly disappears all of a sudden- first the ship, than the Sails. It looks like its driving down a mountain- because of the Erdkrümmung. A Eclipse is another proof for earth being a ball, but my English is not good enough to explain that, it has something to do with the way how earth´s shadow covers the Moon..

Serika

I have no way to prove this, but doesn't it seem like the Flat Earth Society is just a joke? Like the people who run it don't actually believe the Earth is flat and they're just trolling the rest of us? With 99.99% of the world believing the Earth is round and NASA taking pics from space to back it up it sounds a little silly for anyone to be serious about it's flatness.

But that's the thing about living in today's world. You're free to believe anything you want. Anything at all, even if it's dead wrong and people can prove you wrong. :S
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Phatman_Dover

Quote from: Serika on August 10, 2009, 12:49:10 PM
I have no way to prove this, but doesn't it seem like the Flat Earth Society is just a joke? Like the people who run it don't actually believe the Earth is flat and they're just trolling the rest of us? With 99.99% of the world believing the Earth is round and NASA taking pics from space to back it up it sounds a little silly for anyone to be serious about it's flatness.

Oh, they're serious, all right. And they're so easy to troll it is ridiculous. Just tell them that the most energy efficient shape is a sphere and thusly how the Earth is shaped and they will rage so hard.

What I consider ignorance is the inability of people to spell out words anymore. Everywhere I go it's cya or l8tr. What the fuck? Okay, for texting this is alright, but I have seen this shit inside of academic papers. Jesus Christ, someone please get the lethal injection.

The reason we lovely Americans are viewed as stupid is simple; we don't give enough of a shit about our own language!
"We can't stop here!
This is bat country!"

"O great creator of being, give us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives."

AliasnameTO

From the Flat-Earth Society's webpage:

*arguments removed because debating them is pointless*

As for your everyday ignorance, there is no cure. The only hope is to let natural selection take its place, have the ignorant sink to the bottom and the knowledgeable rise to the top. I won't get into a political rant, but government handouts are mucking with this system and I hope it works itself out in the long run.

BTW Phatman, I agree about the not giving a shit about language. I pride myself on being more articulate than your average bear, and I have no doubt that it will help me stand apart from the herd.

butterman100

I agree with the statements about not caring for our own language. I can never talk like that even when I am sending someone a text message. It makes me feel like a damn fool if I even try. Now as for the problem with the stupid people who do use that on a daily basis, I suggest we take all of the warning labels that were obviously meant for them off of all of our products and let the problem gradually take care of itself. So next time your at the supermarket and see a warning label on an iron that states "Do not iron clothes while on body" just go ahead and do the world a favor by peeling that off.

FallenStar

Quote from: Phatman_Dover on August 10, 2009, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: Serika on August 10, 2009, 12:49:10 PM

Oh, they're serious, all right. And they're so easy to troll it is ridiculous. Just tell them that the most energy efficient shape is a sphere and thusly how the Earth is shaped and they will rage so hard.

What I consider ignorance is the inability of people to spell out words anymore. Everywhere I go it's cya or l8tr. What the fuck? Okay, for texting this is alright, but I have seen this shit inside of academic papers. Jesus Christ, someone please get the lethal injection.

The reason we lovely Americans are viewed as stupid is simple; we don't give enough of a shit about our own language!

That's not exactly the American language - it's essentially English and as such, a few deviations from English such as cya or l8tr does tend to happen;  however, I'm in full agreement with you.  Using shorthand in Academic Papers does not compute.  Does not compute at all.  >_<;

TaintedLove

My least favorite kind of ignorance is bad opinions.  Like that Family Guy, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Harem Anime, and Moe are decent entertainment.  And that Wolverine is the coolest X-Man.  And that the Japanese are better at comics and cartoons than Americans.

AliasnameTO

Quote from: MaidThree on August 12, 2009, 12:56:19 PM
My least favorite kind of ignorance is bad opinions.  Like that Family Guy, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Harem Anime, and Moe are decent entertainment.  And that Wolverine is the coolest X-Man.  And that the Japanese are better at comics and cartoons than Americans.

Well, Family Guy is crude/stupid humor. I think it has its place; not everything can be high-brow entertainment. But yeah, there is far better stuff out there.

As for the X-Men, personally I don't give a crap. :P I was always a fan of Spider Man, nothing else in particular.

Tru

I think this video says it all about the average American level of education.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmVHfOvKWc
This is an experiment of sorts. I don't really expect most people to care about my music listening habits.

Serika

It's even worse when the ignorant look down on others or try to speak with authority. Listen in on a political conversation when you're in public and you'll hear some blowhard going off on things he hates. Notice that most of the reasons he gives for his beliefs come from rumors or bad sources like TV pundits. If you ask the person to confirm that it's factual he probably has no idea what the real source of his info is, but don't bother trying to grab a newspaper and prove him wrong, he'll just attack your character if he can't attack you're arguement. That, is truly irritating. >_<

Luckily it doesn't happen here. :)

Quote from: Phatman_Dover on August 10, 2009, 01:27:25 PM
What I consider ignorance is the inability of people to spell out words anymore. Everywhere I go it's cya or l8tr. What the fuck? Okay, for texting this is alright, but I have seen this shit inside of academic papers.

I hope that's an automatic FAIL when the professor reads it.

Quote from: Tru on August 12, 2009, 06:08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmVHfOvKWc

They can't remember when 9-11 happened? Really? I've met highschool dropouts that would have all the correct answers to that guy's quiz. If that wasn't scripted then at least half of us in this forum should be world leaders by now. :eek:
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

butterman100

Quote from: Serika on August 12, 2009, 08:33:45 PM
They can't remember when 9-11 happened? Really? I've met highschool dropouts that would have all the correct answers to that guy's quiz. If that wasn't scripted then at least half of us in this forum should be world leaders by now. :eek:
lets do it then. im no leader so someone else can take that role. i got dibs on our new world order space program though.

WeAreTheFinale

FallenStar

And people think Mississippi natives are stupid as hell.  <_<'

Those people need to survey their own cities' population before talking down to Southerners  =D

TaintedLove

Implying that Southerners are not stupid is ignorant.