New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Retro things

Started by JackO, May 09, 2011, 03:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackO

It seems retro stuff is getting more and more in fashion thesedays... but is it really all that good? Or is it just fashionable? Is newer stuff over-rated?

I have a SNES, which I bought fairly cheaply at a boot fair and although the games I have for it are fairly fun and it runs alright, I don't find myself playing [it] as much as my Dreamcast or PS2... and I wonder if its because its just not as good... or other reasons... there's other stuff that people seem to be obsessed with such as houseware and clothes that are retro... and some seem to look great and others are probably better off with more modern stuff.

There's also this sort of debate in music, with Classic rock and such genres, and newer music with both sides arguing that their era is better... but does just being old deserve some recognition or is it just better? I really can't make my mind up.

EDIT: Corrected "Find myself playing myself."

FallenStar

You don't find yourself playing yourself?  :lol:

No, but seriously... one of the reasons you might find people liking retro stuff these days is that those fans that liked those things back in the day have now come of age, so to speak, and now run things like big gaming corps, big record companies, etc, etc... so naturally, they like to emphasize things they like when they produce new versions.  =P

Welp... I'm fucked...

JackO

Considering your point, Star I can see that happening pretty widely in music when bands list their influences on an album or something, they tend to end up listing a whole lot of bands they listened to as a kid, that would now be considered "classic". I just don't know whether listening to them today, people like them more because of their age or whether they can objectively compare two eras of music.