New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

What are your religious beliefs?

Started by Mighty Oracle, January 06, 2010, 05:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Oracle

QuoteWhat I don't get is how we can all, or simpler still, just the both of us (who adhere to a moral code) make sure it's the same exact code, that is to say that we see eye to eye on everything.

We can't, and clearly we don't. I admit that perhaps my post with regards to moralism was a bit misleading, due to the lack of clarification on my part.

I believe that our "intrinsic moral code" is only apparent in very specific instances, such as:

- Don't kill, unless someone you care about is being threatened.
- Don't steal, unless absolutely necessary, such as in the case of your family starving and you not making enough money to support them.
- Don't inflict harm upon others, either emotionally, physically, or mentally.

This is what I mean when I claim we have an "intrinsic moral code". I will admit though, that, even though superficially, this seems like a form of objective morality, it falls just short of that, since there are clearly going to be exceptions to the rule, which I even admitted. However, though it is certainly not "objective morality", it is close enough I think, and I feel is an undeniable, intrinsic moral code that we all share. Obviously, people can and do go against these simple morals, but only because they ignore them. Upbringing also plays a part in moral development too, however, so this all a very complicated subject, and I am still not firmly set in my position of moralism.

Mighty Oracle

QuoteYou say there are always exceptions for why one would not follow an intrinsic morality, but I would argue that the exceptions are signs that the basic model is wrong.

You would have a point, had I said that we had an objective morality. Intrinsic is different from objective.

Though I do like your idea of an intrinsic morality, as well.

D_guy10

I approve of it as well, it's broad, but like you say it can be followed regardless of the tastes a person might have.
Has anybody seen the "Penn and Teller Bullshit" episode where they pick the bible apart? Hilarious stuff.

While we're on the subject I encourage you to take a look at the link in my signature, it sums up how I feel about religion and humanity quite well.

hashish

Quote from: Mighty Oracle on January 08, 2010, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: hashish on January 07, 2010, 07:00:59 PM
I believe in a 7 day creation.

I will honor my word and keep this thread respectful, so please don't take this to mean that I'm trying to be condescending or act intellectually superior, because such is not the case. You'll just have to trust me on that.

Anyway, how can you adhere to a literal seven day creation, as described in Genesis, when there is vast amounts of scientific data in support of evolution, of which a mere seven days does not allow for?

- In all respect:
I could write half a library of the amount of scientific "evidence" there is that the (not yet proven beyond all reasonable doubt: THEORY) of evolution is not what most people think it to be. Difference is I'd have everyone jumping up to argue their case in the thread, which I refuse to work with, if you wanna talk we have personal messages y'know.

Also, when you believe in God you only have to think logcally in the sense that, as a perfect being that exists outside of time and is capable of everything God, a 7 day creation is more than feasible.

I don't talk like my arguments are fact, and also, in todays world truth is subjective. One persons view on something (if they decide so) is undeniable fact, regardless of who might disagree because thats non P.C or something.

All I need is people that would really listen, or more prefferrably with an open mind to a potentially equal or greater argument.
Personal messages plz.

Ranpalan

Don't feel like doing this in a PM, ignore it if you want - why'd it take him so long?
Always happy to get PMs/IMs

JackO

This thread makes me miss the old religious and political discussion rule.

While debates are perfectly fine I say this draws attention to our differences, and the real reason we're here is due to our similarities, one similarity, our fetish.

I have my own religious beliefs, but others will disagree with them, so excuse my not posting my exact beliefs in this thread, its just that I like peace and quiet a whole lot.

Phatman_Dover

Quote from: Mighty Oracle on January 08, 2010, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: hashish on January 07, 2010, 07:00:59 PM
I believe in a 7 day creation.
[...] Anyway, how can you adhere to a literal seven day creation, as described in Genesis, when there is vast amounts of scientific data in support of evolution, of which a mere seven days does not allow for?

Sorry, but I've had this discussion topic come up before, and in Hashish's defense, how do you know how long a day is to a divine entity? By 'day' they could mean 'aeons' in God-time. Just something to think about.

I'm primarily Agnostic, but I borrow certain things from other religions. None of them is 100% right, and they all have a bit of the truth. Now if we could just all piece them together...
"We can't stop here!
This is bat country!"

"O great creator of being, give us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives."

anastyanax

Atheist. God is a human concept designed to comfort us and answer unanswerable questions. Worst of all, people use the excuse that they're acting according to the will of something immaterial to justify inhuman actions. Mulling over the issue any more than that is pointless.

peelove64

I believe in God I suppose, and I'm technically Christian (I attend church on Christmas Eve with my family every year) but I mostly just believe in being a good person and whatnot.

Mighty Oracle

QuoteBy 'day' they could mean 'aeons' in God-time.

Which is exactly my point. This is actually how the Genesis creation story was meant to be taken during its inception.

QuoteI believe in God I suppose, and I'm technically Christian (I attend church on Christmas Eve with my family every year) but I mostly just believe in being a good person and whatnot.

Going to church does not a Christian make. Just saying, and I'm certainly not trying to judge you, as it is simply not my place to do so.

However, it is a theological fact, as outlined in the Bible, that in order to be a Christian, one must believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he died and gave his life for the remission of the sins of humankind, and that he rose from the dead three days later and ascended to heaven to be with the father.

Upon believing that, one must invite Christ into their heart, and let him take control.

Dementedlol

Agnostic Deist. There's probably something out there, 'mortal' or not. A lot of religions have parallels, so why couldn't it be different interpritations of the same being?

Super Slash

Flyper

I used to be Christian, but I didn't really do any Christian things when I believed other than pray nightly.  Maybe it was the type of Christianity I grew up with that turned me away from it.  It focused heavily on prohibiting sexual acts.  Since I lived in the ghetto where it wasn't unusual for a teenager to get pregnant, I was in a stage where I just believed that everyone was going to hell.

Also, all the bad things in life were preached as being the result of Satan.  'If God was all-knowing, then why would he create an angel that would betray him?' I constantly thought. This was the biggest thing that made me lose my faith.

As far as morals go, I just the follow the Golden Rule.

xXDNAXx

I agree with OP. Religion plays no part in my life whatsoever. Though being stuck in the south, you have to stare at Christians everyday. lol I just don't have much time for religion. And from what I've seen of the Churches, they just look like "Get Rich Quick Schemes" to me. Donate all your money to be right with God.  :death: Ha. 

hashish

Quote from: xXDNAXx on February 08, 2010, 12:04:52 PM
I agree with OP. Religion plays no part in my life whatsoever. Though being stuck in the south, you have to stare at Christians everyday. lol I just don't have much time for religion. And from what I've seen of the Churches, they just look like "Get Rich Quick Schemes" to me. Donate all your money to be right with God.  :death: Ha.

I've never been to the south of america but I've heard from so many internet people that think ALL churches and organised "christian" establishments are like this ("Get Rich Quick Schemes"). It's the main reason why im so vocal about what I do and don't believe in.

There are like ZERO and I mean ZERO churches that have that ("Get Rich Quick Schemes") attitude in London and the south east of England that i've explored. I don't doubt that theres one or two somewhere in england. And the outsiders and anonymous hatin on those south american "give us your money" "churches" is understandable, but I digress...