New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Underage User Ban - redux

Started by FallenStar, October 22, 2008, 05:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

The user known as pissherself has been banned due to being underage and admitting it on the forum.

People, please... you have to be 18 or over to access this site!   :S

Taiki

Underage girl on the internet?

It was probably Chris Hanson in disguise. Have a seat right over there, Mr. Star.

oramisho

Even when not 18, don't most people just lie about thier age until they are old enough? I used to do it all the time since i was 12 up until I actually turned 18.
(Im 20 now, had my birthday last week and no, I'm not lying.)

Serika

Quote from: oramishoEven when not 18, don't most people just lie about thier age until they are old enough?
Maybe they think we won't care. They don't realize that bragging about being underage puts the site itself (and Star, and mods) at risk.

That rule should read something like this.

Rule 1: Don't post anything that would endanger the continuation of this site.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

packrat

"You must be 18 years of age or over to join this site.  If you lie about your age you will be subjected to sexual images that are not suitable for minors (17 and under).  If you feel that you are mature enough to view these images and are not over the age of 18 then you must not go around the site saying that you are under age.  Doing so would put the site, and its members, at risk for lawful retribution."

Think it should sound something like that?

Serika

Telling them to lie about their age wouldn't keep us completely safe. They need to be smart enough to figure it out by themselves while we continue showing the exit to those who don't get it.

packrat

QuoteYou must be 18 years of age or over to join this site.  If you lie about your age you will be subjected to sexual images that are not suitable for minors (17 and under).

Then how about just that?

then again, like oramisho said, most people lie about it any way.  (I know I did)  Telling them to lie may not be a good idea, but not saying anything won't stop them from lying.  We could say "DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE" in the rules, but we can see from the numbers of leechers and spam post that most people just fail to read them. 

Maybe we should have it set up where your age is required when you sign up and it HAS to be 18+ for you to be allowed an account.  I think there's a way to do that, but I don't know how to do it.

Serika

Quote from: packratthen again, like oramisho said, most people lie about it any way.  (I know I did)
I think that's how it was for a lot of us back in the day. At least we realized we have to say 18 to keep websites/stores safe, otherwise they can't help us.

Quote from: packratMaybe we should have it set up where your age is required when you sign up and it HAS to be 18+ for you to be allowed an account.
This could work pretty good. If were talking about someone who ignores the rules putting this in the sign-up would force him to notice the age requirement.

FallenStar

There's no way to really stop people from joining a site like this if they *are* underage.  All they have to do is lie about their age when they go to put their birthdate.  =_=

I tend to enforce a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.  If no one knows, then no one can be banned for it.

When people are insanely stupid enough to actually post their age, that's why I have no choice but to ban them.   :S

lurker

The only real way I can think of to ensure that people are of age is to have credit card fees....which is a pain...I really hope people are either honest or don't admit that they are underage otherwise everyone else will suffer and the site itself will be in jeopardy.

FallenStar

How about I say that in 48 hours we'll be switching to a credit-card ONLY system and all people named Taiki are officially banned?   :lol:

Not, but seriously, I hate the things, myself... and that fact that everyone's going to either them or cash is ridiculous...  Checks used to be a safe way to be in the middle, but...    :S

whereintheworld

Quote from: B.u.S. on October 24, 2008, 06:00:07 AM
Reason why I lurked for years before becoming B.u.S. shortly before my 19th birthday :D

Seriously though, there's no way we can stop this from happening - however, if we force people to read all the rules or something, maybe in the form of a quiz they get access :P Stupid, I know - BUT MAYBE JUST STUPID ENOUGH TO WORK! :D

Wouldn't they just be able to cheat and put the rules in a seperate tab?

wait they would still read the rules then...

lurker

I would hate it if it came to that...to where everyone had to pay...but it seems like the only safe way..

oramisho

Quote from: Star on November 04, 2008, 04:41:27 PM
How about I say that in 48 hours we'll be switching to a credit-card ONLY system and all people named Taiki are officially banned?   :lol:

Not, but seriously, I hate the things, myself... and that fact that everyone's going to either them or cash is ridiculous...  Checks used to be a safe way to be in the middle, but...    :S

I almost never use checks, or my credit card. Most of the time, I use my debit card, which works pretty much like a check, but instant and without waiting for it to clear. Its a pretty nice alternative to credit cards as you can't spend money you dont have with it (though it still doesnt stop you from making impulse buys)

Fullmetal99012

it seems stupid that you would admit that you are underage, just as it would be stupid to bring drugs to school....(I konow that people at our school would do that, and have)