Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

"Car Trip" the desperation game 0.51 Last update 6/13/2010

Started by none, May 10, 2010, 09:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamic

Yeah, none, put some newlines up in there! \n\n

I was having the same problem in my OpenGL project, but I got it figured out mostly.
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

Ameboes

Quote from: revenge on June 05, 2010, 02:03:31 AMAm I just downloading it wrong?
The "way" you download it has no incidence on the data you're receiving... It's not generated dynamically, it's a static file.

none just needs to implement soft wrapping and maybe smaller dialogs.

none

Quote from: Ameboes on June 05, 2010, 09:38:03 AM
Quote from: revenge on June 05, 2010, 02:03:31 AMAm I just downloading it wrong?
The "way" you download it has no incidence on the data you're receiving... It's not generated dynamically, it's a static file.

none just needs to implement soft wrapping and maybe smaller dialogs.

Dang I hate it when the debugger works fine but the actual build acts weird... I'll take note to fix it.

Dynamic

Technically it's not a logical error.  I think you just need to manually format the text so it wraps nicely in the window.  If you don't, it'll just run off the screen.

gophergun

Quote from: none on June 04, 2010, 12:52:24 PM

Sadly I have no experience with  Linux,Mono, or Wine.  :crying:

Ah well, alas, I can't get past the first screen to see if it actually does work! I believe it might, but the link is below the screen edge. It may be worth considering to try and make the window less than 568 pixels high (600-the 32 pixel XP taskbar IIRC) for lower resolution screens.

Dynamic

I have no idea how flexible VB is with screen resolutions, but would it be possible to have a configurable resolution, so everyone can be happy?  It doesn't even have to be in the GUI, the program can load a config file when it first runs, and if so desired the user can edit said config file to their preferred resolution.  What think you, men?

Ameboes

Dynamic: Ideally, everything should just be resizeable, and the default size should be in terms of % of the current monitor's resolution (with min/max perhaps), in my opinion.

(I say current monitor, not full virtual display area, because some people do run multiple monitors, and I think that the technique would make a rather wide window if you have three monitors in a row... =P )

Dynamic

Ideally, yeah, everything would be resizable.  I just wonder about aspect ratios, though I suppose that would be easy enough to keep.  I'm having trouble with window sizes in my own project... any of you guys know Windows API with C++?

none

Just wanted to say I'm taking a bit of a break from the game for personal reasons maybe I'll get back rolling on it next month.

Dynamic

We will wait as patiently as possible for your return to the project, none.

revenge

So I Got past the options screen finally :clap: just had to zoom out the display on my comp a bunch. But now I have another question about the game that probably has a very simple answer: When I do status check, none of the girls names appear and I can't do anything but drive. There isn't an option to pull over or change the girls. Nothing. Is there a way I can fix this? I really appriciate you guys for putting up with my terrible computer skills.

Faust

Quote from: revenge on June 10, 2010, 01:16:42 AM
So I Got past the options screen finally :clap: just had to zoom out the display on my comp a bunch. But now I have another question about the game that probably has a very simple answer: When I do status check, none of the girls names appear and I can't do anything but drive. There isn't an option to pull over or change the girls. Nothing. Is there a way I can fix this? I really appriciate you guys for putting up with my terrible computer skills.

Did you make sure that you actually put in names?

And which version are you playing? if you're playing the newer one, there is no pull over or changing option.

Dynamic

I encountered the same issue when playing version 0.50.  Seems to be broke.  The nearly identical strings are printed each time i click drive, but when entering status there isn't anything.  Version 0.46 or whatever is still up for DL (lol, get it, DL?) and that one works.

I don't know about you guys, but to me six girls is really killing the fun.  One is fun, two seems ideal for some reason.  Three might be a crowd, and six is... well, it's a lot.  Especially when there's no variation between them.  They get desperate and wet themselves in sync, like some kind of bizarre para para dance.  Not that I'm against such a performance, it's just that it's a little pointless to have a bunch of girls all doing the same things.  I'm tempted to mess with none's code, but frankly I don't wanna learn VB.

I'm curious:  how important is portability to you guys?  That is, a program that is easy to install and run without any fuss.  Maybe even a port to Linux or Mac?  Or do you guys mind getting runtime packages like .NET?  I'm really wanting to put something together, but I'm a novice Windows programmer and it would be really easy to fall back on cheater's tools like C# instead of doing everything in C++ and having it just work without any add-ons.

Sound off.

Kenichi123

A really good idea would be attitudes, Having one girl like carefree or another one is like shy and stuff. it would make the game a whole lot more interesting. The shy girl wouldn't tell she has to go, the carefree one will be like don't worry about it and stuff.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't take whatever I said seriously, Unless it has to do with anything I do-er-we-as-sh-... yeah. Just read what I wrote :(

none

So I Got past the options screen finally :clap: just had to zoom out the display on my comp a bunch.
Hmm.. You were having troubles with viewing the game windows? Could you give me your system specs?

But now I have another question about the game that probably has a very simple answer: When I do status check, none of the girls names appear and I can't do anything but drive. There isn't an option to pull over or change the girls. Nothing. Is there a way I can fix this? I really appriciate you guys for putting up with my terrible computer skills.

Unfortunately before my time was clogged up I decided to change the way the game code works, in short nothing on the status screen works just yet. I simply have to fix it on my end to make it work on your end you're not at fault in any way!  :blush:

Quote from: Dynamic on June 10, 2010, 07:17:36 PM
I encountered the same issue when playing version 0.50.  Seems to be broke.  The nearly identical strings are printed each time i click drive, but when entering status there isn't anything.  Version 0.46 or whatever is still up for DL (lol, get it, DL?) and that one works.
See above.

I don't know about you guys, but to me six girls is really killing the fun.  One is fun, two seems ideal for some reason.  Three might be a crowd, and six is... well, it's a lot.  Especially when there's no variation between them.  They get desperate and wet themselves in sync, like some kind of bizarre para para dance.  Not that I'm against such a performance, it's just that it's a little pointless to have a bunch of girls all doing the same things.  I'm tempted to mess with none's code, but frankly I don't wanna learn VB.
Para Para dance!?  I was aiming for Hare hare yukai! But really I intend to add more customization after I get the current code stable and running.

Also I need more input on how much you like (or hate) the addition of the six girl upgrade! Even if you don't like it if you give me a sentence or two on why you don't like it would be very useful.

I'm curious:  how important is portability to you guys?  That is, a program that is easy to install and run without any fuss.  Maybe even a port to Linux or Mac?  Or do you guys mind getting runtime packages like .NET?  I'm really wanting to put something together, but I'm a novice Windows programmer and it would be really easy to fall back on cheater's tools like C# instead of doing everything in C++ and having it just work without any add-ons.

Sound off.

Sadly once you leave the windows realm my experience falls hopelessly short. If some one is willing to pick up my slack in that regard I certainly would not turn you away.