New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Daily polls

Started by Mighty Oracle, January 06, 2010, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Oracle

I think it would be nice if daily polls were implemented to the forum. Specifically, a forum could be made for that very purpose. For organizational purposes, were such an idea actually implemented, I think it would be best if only a few people at most made the polls. In order to have other members not feel unjustifiably left out, there would be a "Poll suggestions" topic, wherein a given user could suggest ideas to be used in future polls.

The polls would come in a similar fashion to that of GameFAQs's. Namely, one question per poll, and not several, as is the case on another forum I frequent.

Thoughts? We do daily polls at my own forum, and I think it works rather well.

Ranpalan

/support

Not quite sure if it should be daily or weekly, though - the forum isn't quite active enough to warrant daily, but maybe it'll become so once the polls get implemented.
Always happy to get PMs/IMs

Mighty Oracle

Quote from: Seriy on January 06, 2010, 09:58:52 PM
/support

the forum isn't quite active enough to warrant daily, but maybe it'll become so once the polls get implemented.

Well, I have them daily on my site, even though it has only like 8 active members. Ultimately though, it's not up to me, it was just a suggestion.

JackO

Well if you had daily polls, would you only have them open for a day for people to vote on?

If so, surely the point of a poll is to represent the thoughts of the whole userbase of a site? If not, then surely, there'd be like 5 polls open at a time.

I also think that while it'd be nice, it may be more effort than its worth, but obviously that'd have to be up to Star, I just think that you'd need more than a few members to make and mantain the polls to keep such a thing running, but hey what do i know? :D

Ranpalan

Well, if each poll is in a new topic, we can make a new poll each day, and then we unsticky it and make a new one the next day, etc. Then, those who are late can still vote, but the new one will be the main one.

JackO

Quote from: Seriy on January 07, 2010, 01:41:50 AM
Well, if each poll is in a new topic, we can make a new poll each day, and then we unsticky it and make a new one the next day, etc. Then, those who are late can still vote, but the new one will be the main one.

Well if its unstickied, then people won;t see it to vote, and even if they do not a lot of people will check back to see the result, and also I would think that after a while we'd run out of topics, surely?

FallenStar

I'm working on a plan to run some poll contests (essentially, like the character battle contests on GameFAQs.).

As for daily polls, from what I saw on Kori's forum, the members that were regulars voted every day, but here, you'd have members voting only once in a while, so I doubt I'd be into daily polls.  Maybe weekly polls.
Welp... I'm fucked...

Ranpalan

Erm, I'm assuming a special board for them - with the daily poll + rules sticked, and the rest loose. If we really can't think of anything we can re-sticky something, and people could just use it for discussion.

But, yep, weekly, please. Maybe switching to half-weekly and then to daily as more people vote.

Mighty Oracle

Quote from: Seriy on January 07, 2010, 01:41:50 AM

This is how we do it on my forum. Though, I would like to add that in addition to this, we had a subforum (contained within the actual forum specific to the daily polls) where we stored all the past daily polls. Users could still vote in these polls if they so desired, though the main one was stickied.

oramisho

weekly might be better, unless you can somehow think up 365 poll questions per year.