TalkBox v1.0

GOD

Started by butterman100, September 13, 2009, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

animepee

Quote from: FallenStar on October 05, 2009, 07:24:46 PM
Hey, animepee... Love your new avatar.   :clap:

Thanks star ^^

and i have had this signature for a long time, if star or a mod ever wants me to remove it i will :/

and sorry about that, so yeah im a christian, ive been one since i was like, 12 or 13 i believe

hashish

Quote from: The_Enigma on October 07, 2009, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: mdunham1440 on October 06, 2009, 09:16:38 PM
me?
im hardcore athiest,

im into technology and science and this is my theory, bare with me and this is not intended to be offencive(bud if your a super religious type i would turn away)

anyways, my theory is that the world is amazing, the universe is emence, way to emence to even begin to comprehend, i mean it wasnt that long ago that we thought the world was flat, so my theory is that, us humans as it is our nature, always want the easy way out, there is no way for us to even begin to understand how we came to be, so therefore we substitute it with an easy way out, god, its simple, we dont understand it so we make up an answer,

I believe you meant "immense," sir.  And I can see where you come from; logic beats faith.  Answers beat myth.  Absolute proof beats an air of mystery.  However, whether God is real or not, religion in itself bears many prosperous fruits for the betterment of humanity.  Sure, you might say that wars are fought in the name of religion, but I must say that the good that religion brings far outweighs the terribleness of the wars fought over it.  And that's not even to mention that no religion even promotes war...the wars are fought by the people, not by the religion.

I like that what you guys are touching on there, and I kinda think the same way. I believe in intelligent design for sure, to me it just makes pure logical sense as much as I can make of it, but at the same time as I see how logic beats faith, I overrule it with the fact that people make their own truth. If an uneducated child bought up in the deepest jungle was told the sky was blue because it was painted, how could he ever know different. We make human truths and logic within our parameters, but theres stuff out there we don't know and can't explain, supernatural stuff. Stuff so complex im sure it cannot be random.

The_Enigma

Quote from: hashish on October 09, 2009, 06:55:13 PM
Quote from: The_Enigma on October 07, 2009, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: mdunham1440 on October 06, 2009, 09:16:38 PM
me?
im hardcore athiest,

im into technology and science and this is my theory, bare with me and this is not intended to be offencive(bud if your a super religious type i would turn away)

anyways, my theory is that the world is amazing, the universe is emence, way to emence to even begin to comprehend, i mean it wasnt that long ago that we thought the world was flat, so my theory is that, us humans as it is our nature, always want the easy way out, there is no way for us to even begin to understand how we came to be, so therefore we substitute it with an easy way out, god, its simple, we dont understand it so we make up an answer,

I believe you meant "immense," sir.  And I can see where you come from; logic beats faith.  Answers beat myth.  Absolute proof beats an air of mystery.  However, whether God is real or not, religion in itself bears many prosperous fruits for the betterment of humanity.  Sure, you might say that wars are fought in the name of religion, but I must say that the good that religion brings far outweighs the terribleness of the wars fought over it.  And that's not even to mention that no religion even promotes war...the wars are fought by the people, not by the religion.

I like that what you guys are touching on there, and I kinda think the same way. I believe in intelligent design for sure, to me it just makes pure logical sense as much as I can make of it, but at the same time as I see how logic beats faith, I overrule it with the fact that people make their own truth. If an uneducated child bought up in the deepest jungle was told the sky was blue because it was painted, how could he ever know different. We make human truths and logic within our parameters, but theres stuff out there we don't know and can't explain, supernatural stuff. Stuff so complex im sure it cannot be random.

You raise an excellent point.  We, as humans, make up our own facts.  Everything we know to be as fact was actually invented by another person at one time or another.  In actuality, nobody really knows anything for sure.  And that's why religion is good, because it provides an explanation for all of these questions and mysteries.  Sure, we might have evolved since then and "discovered" new sciences and "explained" how things work, so there's not as much mystery to it.  However, how do we know that science, as we know it, isn't completely wrong?  We may have made an explanation for why the sky is blue, but we can't really know for sure.

Serika

Quote from: The_Enigma on October 09, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
However, how do we know that science, as we know it, isn't completely wrong?

Simple, you use it's creations and accomplishments to know what it's right about. Light bulbs and other electronics wouldn't work if our current level of science was wrong about electricity. Airplanes wouldn't fly if science was wrong about aerodynamics. Cars can't exist without engineering, biology is needed to make vaccines, and most consumer products require knowledge of chemistry.

Our technology wouldn't work if science was wrong. But who knows, when we someday learn dimensional physics science might end up proving there is a god, and then all this debate will have been for nothing. Wouldn't that be ironic?
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Phatman_Dover

Quote from: Serika on October 09, 2009, 09:52:48 PM
Light bulbs and other electronics wouldn't work if our current level of science was wrong about electricity. Airplanes wouldn't fly if science was wrong about aerodynamics. Cars can't exist without engineering, biology is needed to make vaccines, and most consumer products require knowledge of chemistry.

Our technology wouldn't work if science was wrong.

Well you know, we could be like the Orcs from Warhammer 40k.

RED THINGS GO FASTER!
"We can't stop here!
This is bat country!"

"O great creator of being, give us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives."

akemi

God? I'm not a believer, i'm a science girl what i believe in is in energy+chemistry what in my opinion is what really let the world go on.
Nothing about something that create us and that stuff. I want believe in god until soemone demostrate that it exists.
Also I have a friend that is super religious, is really a pain in the ass to talk about religion , god... with him!! his a bit closed minded i have no problem to respect others opinion but seriously he's too close about this.
Like last night a friend stated that roman gods could exist, no one demostrate that they doesn't exist yet, and the other guy stated that she was wrong that there was an only god...he's really impossible in this stuff ^^U

Loki275

I'm not trying to be mean or put anyone down but, am I the only one who finds it humorous that we are having a religious discussion on a fetish based website  :lol:

If I had to call myself anything, I would say that I'm agnostic. I can't say that I really feel strongly about anything.

And really, I mean, who gives a shit. Lets just live our lives, be good people, and have some fun along the way.
Would you like to play a game? Heads I win, tails you lose.

The_Enigma

Quote from: Loki275 on October 12, 2009, 01:46:30 AM
I'm not trying to be mean or put anyone down but, am I the only one who finds it humorous that we are having a religious discussion on a fetish based website  :lol:

If I had to call myself anything, I would say that I'm agnostic. I can't say that I really feel strongly about anything.

And really, I mean, who gives a shit. Lets just live our lives, be good people, and have some fun along the way.

I like your thinking, sir!  I am of the same attitude, only I happen to believe in God.  When it boils right down to it, it's not like God himself directly affects anything that we know about, so we might as well just live our lives out anyway.  Is it really that hard to be a good person without something telling you to do so?

The_Enigma

Quote from: Serika on October 09, 2009, 09:52:48 PM
Quote from: The_Enigma on October 09, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
However, how do we know that science, as we know it, isn't completely wrong?

Simple, you use it's creations and accomplishments to know what it's right about. Light bulbs and other electronics wouldn't work if our current level of science was wrong about electricity. Airplanes wouldn't fly if science was wrong about aerodynamics. Cars can't exist without engineering, biology is needed to make vaccines, and most consumer products require knowledge of chemistry.

Our technology wouldn't work if science was wrong. But who knows, when we someday learn dimensional physics science might end up proving there is a god, and then all this debate will have been for nothing. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Prove it.  I demand a third party - someone who has not grown up learning earth science - to perform experiments, or at least confirm/deny our accuracy.

Serika

Quote from: The_Enigma on October 14, 2009, 02:15:03 PM
Prove it.  I demand a third party - someone who has not grown up learning earth science - to perform experiments, or at least confirm/deny our accuracy.

If the computer you're using to read this isn't proof enough that man's science is accurate and legitimate then i don't believe there's anything else i can say. :S

I wasn't even saying religion is wrong, i was just trying to defend the work that scientists have done over the centuries...
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Loki275

Quote from: The_Enigma on October 14, 2009, 02:13:41 PM

I like your thinking, sir!  I am of the same attitude, only I happen to believe in God.  When it boils right down to it, it's not like God himself directly affects anything that we know about, so we might as well just live our lives out anyway.  Is it really that hard to be a good person without something telling you to do so?

I like your thinking to! Indifference Hi-Five!

Alright!l Tolerance 1, Intolerance....4,280,389.....

...well at least we got one ;D
Would you like to play a game? Heads I win, tails you lose.

The_Enigma

Quote from: Loki275 on October 15, 2009, 12:48:16 AM
Quote from: The_Enigma on October 14, 2009, 02:13:41 PM

I like your thinking to! Indifference Hi-Five!

Alright!l Tolerance 1, Intolerance....4,280,389.....

...well at least we got one ;D

ALRIGHT!  Really, people need to learn to respect other people's opinions.  And also to not force their opinions onto someone else.

The_Enigma

Quote from: Serika on October 14, 2009, 05:42:25 PM
Quote from: The_Enigma on October 14, 2009, 02:15:03 PM

If the computer you're using to read this isn't proof enough that man's science is accurate and legitimate then i don't believe there's anything else i can say. :S

I wasn't even saying religion is wrong, i was just trying to defend the work that scientists have done over the centuries...

The point I'm trying to make is that everyone on earth has grown up learning what people on earth have discovered.  There's nothing to compare our science to, so we just assume we're correct.  In actuality, we might be completely wrong about everything we know, but managed to manipulate the correct way into a way that we can use, either by coincidence or accident. (i.e. harnessing electricity)

I mean 500 or so years ago, it was SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe, and that life spawned out of things called "ethers."

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here, so we get both sides of the spectrum.  That's how good discussion is made.

FallenStar

I highly doubt that us using electricity is a coincidence or an accident.  Were it just that, we would have insanely high rates of power failures (even more than we do) and we wouldn't be able to fix any of it.

No... I don't think it's just a coincidence that not only have we harnessed electricity but also safely manipulated not just the technics of rocket propulsion but gravity itself to deliver men safely to the moon and back.

And I don't think it was ever scientifically proven that life either spawned from ethers or gases; that's just an old wives' tail or pure superstition invented to explain something that couldn't be proven scientifically.  It held no more scientific weight than saying Zeus hurled lightning bolts and that's where they came from, which is a more religious explanation than scientific.  =P

Welp... I'm fucked...

ltmt

I believe that people human-invented representations of God are misled, but I also feel that spirituality is an essential part of life- especially to any creature intelligent enough to question it's own existence. A purpose and reason for life are extremely paramount to our well-being and happiness.

I personally have been reflected in all lights of the spiritual and emotional spectrum- depressed, indifferent, exuberant; atheist, agnostic, and devout, and the hues between. I have seen God, and I have doubted it, and I have realized that God is within us, it is a part of us. It is an answer to questions we shouldn't have to answer, but given the unforgivable perversion of nature; the technology and evolution of humans, we have been given this burden and blessing to be able to experience a level of sentience unparalleled by our brother and sister animals. Do they tilt their heads up and wonder what the stars are for? Wolves, perhaps, are howling towards the heavens, asking their God for forgiveness, praying devoutly and wailing away their sins. Is this what humans do? God in a Christian light has been present for many reasons, and these days, a strong sense of family, community, purpose and (some form of) knowledge seem to be important parts of this. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do not think that we are the chosen ones or that we are special, but in the same way that everything is different and nothing the same, we ARE special and God-given; God being the Universe, Space and Time- a Pendulum repeating it's course, each swing so precious and beautiful it tears itself apart. The afterlife is what the beforelife was- we are simply particles that assembled to create a living being. They will disassemble again and relent. It is an enormous burden to keep up living, this is why it must end, and why death should not be frightening, nor relieving, exactly, but ALRIGHT.

Of course spirituality and God in it's many forms are important. If something gives the intrinsic questions a slackening of pressure, or even a pseudo-answer to last our bodies/brains through our lives (because all we are is star matter- dust, nothingness, dark black holes), then GOOD. All we have is a blink of an eye. Why spend it in anger at others' innocent ignorance? If something gives relief, LET IT. This is why atheism doesn't work for me: Spirituality, or God, hopefulness, or enlightenment- whatever you call it- it is a leavening of pressure on our dangerous intelligence, and we NEED it to stay sane- it is indeed built into us.

Honestly, most human religions seem silly to me, but the deep calm that washes over me when I look up to the sky is undeniable. Everything is conceived by the same mother- whoever, whatever that might be, and it is all connected and all intensely beautiful. I wish that these stars called homo sapiens could see that.