Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Ugh... People are stupid... again...

Started by FallenStar, March 01, 2013, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

http://www.fox8live.com/story/21440323/bad-fresh-prince-rap-triggers-lockdown

Seriously? "The police acted accordingly" - what accordingly? Hauling in some kid just because some dumbass receptionist misheard something? WTF...  =_=
Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

His life got flipped turned upside down over that one.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Drying

He got in one little fight and his mom got scared; she said "I'm suing!"

FallenStar

Will you people get off the Fresh Prince reference and just comment on the stupidity of the police to arrest a kid just because some dumbass receptionist thought she heard something that didn't exist?  :death:

Damn... I'm really beginning to hate that meme now...   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

In this case i would say it was 100% the receptionist's fault. I doubt she told the police his ringtone was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air song, so they had to show up and hear it for themselves. The cops would only know what she told them until they actually listen to it.

I'd say the receptionist deserves to lose her bathroom privileges for a few work days. :D

Receptionist: Uuu, i'm really sorry about yesterday, Mr. Principal. May i please be excused? I have to pee SO bad! ;_;

Principal: Maybe you should have thought about that before having your third cup of coffee this morning. -_-

FallenStar

The police didn't have any probable cause to arrest a kid who hadn't done anything or shown any aggressive attitudes toward anyone. I mean, come on... how many kids do you know say something like "I'm gonna shoot you"? Quite a lot, huh? But they don't ever go through with it; most times, it's just a playful expression. And given how the receptionist obviously misheard the lyrics, it couldn't have been playing too loudly or too clearly for her to hear, so she shouldn't have jumped the gun and the police should have questioned her more thoroughly before removing the kid from school.

This zero-tolerance policy is not helping to stop people from shooting up schools; it's only making things worse because now this kid has a criminal record for something that was a pure accident. I mean... WTF, police?!  =_=

Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

I would agree with you that people freak out too easily these days. Ever since Columbine and 9/11 you can't even talk about these things without everyone else shitting their pants in fear. This is mostly the news media's fault for always using fear to boost their ratings. I was so disgusted by how they played that short clip of the plane hitting the tower 24 hours a day like it was an animated gif, for months following the attack, that i completely stopped watching TV for a few years. Evil has existed since the earliest days of man, but all major news channels would have us believe it's a new thing that was invented in the 90's.

That said, as a general rule, the police always show up when someone calls them, even it's just to deal with some idiot who doesn't know what she's talking about. They would have cuffed that guy only so they could take him somewhere more private, like the station, and question him about that phone. The police needed to remove him from the school, at least for an hour or so, just so lockdown could end and the others could go home.

I'm not a fan of the police or anything, but they would have been fired if they just ignored the call.

FallenStar

The lockdown should have never happened in the first place; again, as I said before, there was no evidence that the kid was a threat to anyone except for some garbled words that some dumbshit receptionist didn't even hear clearly in the first place. If we, as a society, called the police every time we THOUGHT we heard things, the police wouldn't be able to perform their intended purpose, let alone protect us from any of the other REAL threats out there.

The police shouldn't have been called and moreover, they shouldn't have cuffed and arrested a kid who would have shown NO aggression, had NO questionable cause for suspicion... who had nothing other than a "word of mouth" reference from a woman who didn't even hear things correctly. You know what that's like? That's right... Nazi Germany.  Where if you whisper one thing out of norms, you get arrested, a police record, and your life is already ruined before you even get out of high school.

It's wrong and stupid to arrest someone or to lockdown a school without probable cause.

Now, I'm not saying that lockdowns shouldn't occur - there are definitely kids who are messed up... but what gets me is that the zero tolerance policy never seems to target them at all - they slip under the cracks and get to perform their acts as if there were absolutely loads of tolerance; the people who suffer under a zero tolerance policy are the true innocents who end up in trouble just because of misheard words or some stupid shit like that.

I cannot agree that the school should have been locked down nor that this kid should have been arrested just for a cell phone's ringtone. Not when there are kids like that Virginia Tech shooter out there.

Welp... I'm fucked...