New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Moderator Position Open

Started by FallenStar, September 29, 2009, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

Phatman, I can't deny that I would love to give you modship as a way of mending fences and certainly, your experience and ability to help have no real equal. I remember how you helped me set up my IRC chan and how, if I ever had a computer problem, you were someone I could turn to for advice. I would not like for a momentary lapse in judgment and overall ignorance to ruin what should have been a great friendship.

That being said, I will make every effort to try to remain impartial during this process and try to pick someone who will fill the spot with the exact combination of loyalty and opposing viewpoints that I desire.

B.u.S., my friend, you are like me so much it's really uncanny. Though we may disagree on FFXII and a few things here and there, I don't really think I could put up with another person who would go all emo and post it in the shoutbox; I have a hard enough time just dealing with myself as it is.  Plus, and I hate to bring up old news but I think it's really relevant here, there has been no one more complained about as moderator than you and while I'm sure you meant nothing by it (as I said before, I often agreed with you in principal if not in actions), I must take that into consideration as well. 

Welp... I'm fucked...

Phatman_Dover

I understand that you must remain impartial to this process and that feelings may motivate you. If it helps, my loyalty is to this site and everyone, which by proxy means loyalty to you in some fashion. I'm not going to drive the point home constantly, but everyone please understand before there is a misunderstanding: I am not trying to play on his emotions. I have wanted to mod this place since I saw it needed major work, and it is unfortunate that these two events coincide so close to each other.

That being said, I'll let the rest of the applicants get on with it.
"We can't stop here!
This is bat country!"

"O great creator of being, give us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives."

The_Enigma

XD Judging by some of the experience of the other board members, I'm probably already out of the running!  However, I would still like to apply for a mod position.

Reasoning:

I like to mod.  Plain and simple.  Perhaps it's a power complex, but I enjoy helping others, and I feel I could help others more if I have more ability to do so; relating to a forum, that would mean being a mod.

Experience:

I have been a Global Moderator on two other sites for over a year, and I've been an Admin on one other site.  I've also experimented with creating my own site.  (However, time constraints got in the way...:P)  I am fiercely loyal, extremely dedicated, and I make a point to speak/type with proper grammar and spelling, which is useful for someone that site members look up to.  I have never been demoted from a mod position, and everyone who's seen my mod work has always praised me for it.

In short, I have experience doing that sort of work and I have a good work ethic.

Maelstrom

I can't help but chuckle at all the people who say they'd like to mod. I mean, it can get very rough at times. Probably not as bad in a relatively small community as this though... I'm used to modding communities of 10k+ people, and if you don't know what you're getting into, you're in for trouble. I think Star has the right idea in looking for a neutral mod though. The point of a moderator is to keep the rules enforced in an unbiased manner, so it'd be wise to choose someone who doesn't have extreme opinions, and doesn't have any strong liking or disliking for anyone here. A good mod can be very difficult to come across... you also need someone who's active enough to moderate efficiently. There will be plenty of applications though, but I suggest you watch all the applicants closely before making your decision.

Scoozums

Quote from: Leviathan Mist on September 30, 2009, 05:20:02 PM
I can't help but chuckle at all the people who say they'd like to mod. I mean, it can get very rough at times. Probably not as bad in a relatively small community as this though... I'm used to modding communities of 10k+ people, and if you don't know what you're getting into, you're in for trouble. I think Star has the right idea in looking for a neutral mod though. The point of a moderator is to keep the rules enforced in an unbiased manner, so it'd be wise to choose someone who doesn't have extreme opinions, and doesn't have any strong liking or disliking for anyone here. A good mod can be very difficult to come across... you also need someone who's active enough to moderate efficiently. There will be plenty of applications though, but I suggest you watch all the applicants closely before making your decision.

I've had to deal with situations like that before. :)

The best way to deal with a situation where you, as a mod, are unable to maintain an unbiased state, is to notify another mod and have them deal with the situation.  At least that's how it works with official sites like Darkthrone.  Also situations that directly involve a moderator should be dealt with by another moderator.  This isn't to say mods can't solve their own problems it's just to say that it is usually best to get a third opinion when one is needed.

FallenStar

I have finally narrowed down the list of potential "contenders" for the open moderator position.

Due to her seniority, Phatman Dover is number one on my list, but I am still undecided between her and B.u.S.  I would like to speak to both of you either on IRC or in a YIM conference at the same time to better judge how each of you would take my directives and possibly point out things I might miss.

Leviathan Mist, Jack0, I'm sorry. You guys are still too new to the forum to be considered for this position at this time. The Engima, I like the way you work, but, sadly, you don't have the seniority as of yet. Scoozums, seriously... I told you you wear me out as it is, and that's just in conversations about RPs.  I don't need a moderator who'll ask "Should I do this, should I do that..."  =_=

Welp... I'm fucked...

Maelstrom

You don't need to apologize to me, I only offered my assistance. In fact, I would've been surprised and a little suspicious of your abilities if you had modded me after just three weeks. You seem to know what you're doing and that's fine by me. I do what I can to help, and the mod status means nothing.

FallenStar

B.u.S. , I will say this;  the biggest problem to your modship comes from staff members who think you aren't cut out for the position.  I, myself, don't know as I don't know your moderation record, but I would suggest that if I am to take your application with 100% certainty, then you would need to win back the favor of the rest of the staff in addition to me, okay?

Welp... I'm fucked...

Scoozums

Understandable choice :)

I know how to be a good mod but you also have never seen me in action and only know me for what I'm like as a member so I can't blame you for your skepticism :P

Maybe some time in the future I'll be given a chance to help out.  :clap:

DubiousCharms

Err-hem, I suppose it may be a little bit too late to apply, but I would like to throw my hat into the ring if said ring is still open for hats. Well... right, you get my drift.

Reasons:

I love this forum and I've been wanting to help keep it going strong for some time now. Also, to my understanding, I've been offered the job once before.

Experience:

I can't say I've ever modded a forum before, but I have been a co-president of a school club, and I often take up the role of leader for group projects. I also like to think I would mod with logic and the established rules rather than emotions or gut feelings. That said, I can always see a gray area in a situation.

If it's too late to apply or you don't choose me, I understand completely.

animepee

I support B.u.S for modship, but i suppose ill apply to

Reasons:

I love this site and the community in it, i have been a member here for a while, and would love to be able to help out.

Experience:

I guess you could say i have a lot of experience in moderating. I own my own Inuyasha Anime website with over 12,000 site members, which consists of a highly active chat room and forums page

My site is over 2 years old now, and besides my own site, i am a moderator for a web hosts support forums page (www.Webs.com)