Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

My computer

Started by FallenStar, September 14, 2009, 10:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

To All concerned

My computer has gone down.  I will be unable to do any RPS or member promoting until I can get it fixed.  I'm just glad this PS3 works well enough for this. 

Star

Maelstrom

Did you say PS3? :o

What games do you have? I have a few multiplayer ones... I wish I had a HDTV though, I can hardly read the text in most games because the game designers are too inconsiderate to compensate for people without HDTVs.

packrat

You're comp failed?  Damn, that sucks.  Well, at least you acan still access the site....sort of. 

PS- Hope it gets fixed soon.

FallenStar

Everytime I tell it to turn on,  it starts to boot up then shuts itself off. If I can't get it fixed the site is liable to go down because I won't be able to make the payment to the host... =/

Serika

If you're running out of time just PM the details to me. I don't have much money left these days but i'll cover you for this month.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

TaintedLove

I wholeheartedly wish you success in getting your PC back in working shape, and offer any assistance I may be able to provide.

FallenStar

Unfotunately, I get the feeling that what I need is an honest to God computef expert to help. >_>

EDIT - Serika, it looks like I might be able to get the payment in with this PS3.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Stargazing Wanderer on September 14, 2009, 11:16:49 AM
Everytime I tell it to turn on,  it starts to boot up then shuts itself off. If I can't get it fixed the site is liable to go down because I won't be able to make the payment to the host... =/

Maybe your fan/cooling system is broken - that's very characteristic of overheating issues. You may have to get it replaced if that's the case, but it's much better than having to replace the whole computer, not to mention lose everything on the hard drive.

FallenStar

Fan works fine.  The temp. monitor on the front was only about 113 and it was cooling. No, what seems to be the trouble is a lightning strike  that may have done something to the USB ports.

TiaMaria

I doubt fucked USB ports would be messing with you computers boot settings. If you've got one available, I'd suggest using a CD based OS, like Knoppix, and see if that gets past the boot problem.

Serika

Quote from: TiaMaria on September 14, 2009, 03:19:52 PM
I doubt fucked USB ports would be messing with you computers boot settings.

Something like that happend to me before. I tried to connect a printer/scanner to my old computer and it only ever worked on 1 of the ports. When i moved the cord to a different USB port my computer would keep restarting before it could even boot up.

What do you have in your USB ports right now, Star? Would it be possible to take everything out, or does your mouse go in there?
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

FallenStar

I've tried plugging in the keyboard into every USB port on the computer with no power making it to the keyboard.  I don't know what else to try. :S

Poowrite

Poor guy, can't catch a break. First your internet gives you grief, now your computer itself.

What OS you using? I've had success against reboot loops using Recovery Console and chkdsk if you're on XP and have your OS CD.
*If you've got the XP CD, stick it in and boot up. Should take you to the windows XP setup (you may need to press a key during boot to get to boot to CD)
*Should eventually get to a screen with an option that says something like "To repair Windows, press R." Press R :P.
*You should be taken to a command prompt interface. You'll have a list of windows installations to log on to ... probably only going to have one. You may need the password to your administrator account.
*After that, type "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes) and let it run (it may take a very long time).
*When it's done, type EXIT and reboot if it doesn't happen automatically.
I've only had to do that twice, but it's 2/2. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, I wouldn't. Take it to a shop if you can or make use of the warranty if you've got one. It's just a suggestion.

If you're on Vista, your guess is as good as mine. I've never seen it outside of XP.
In any case ... good luck. Hope to see you on IM again soon. Me an' Mia will miss you :P.

If you own a PS3, download the demo. Give this game a shot. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

FallenStar

Yeah, I know. My life has gone straight to hell ever since I had to move. =_=

As for your idea... not only does my computer use Vista, but I don't even seem to have an OS disc. All I have is the damn key.

I  swear... sometimes, I just wanna say fuck it all... =_=

Eternal Dragon

It's possible the problem Star is having has to do with the motherboard. Had it happen before the motherboard got fried for some reason or another on one of my old computers and it kept booting and restarting and kept repeating the process. If the mother board is fucked then basically any USB jacks and everything else might not work at all.