Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

I think we need a television forum.

Started by Mighty Oracle, February 24, 2010, 12:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Oracle

JackO

Just a couple of thoughts from me, on why I voted no...

I don't really tend to watch a lot of television myself, so on a personal level, I wouldn;t have a lot to talk about one a tv forum...

People on this site are from different places, so discussion of programmes that are on may not be on in places where other members are, making some threads exclusive of members from different countries to the OP...

While it could be argued that having a TV forum is only the same as the music forum (as they're both forms of audio/audiovisual media...), I think that it'd be hard to maintain interesting discussion for lack of people who know of/like the programs being dicussed...

And finally, I think we have to find a balance between what we're here for (FD/WS), and discussion of stuff we like (Music/Anime/Videogames)

anyway, just my opinion there...obviously its up to Star and the powers that be...also known as Star :D

OnlySupers

See, I don't think this should be left up to votes.  I think, quite simply, it should be a judgement based, decision.  And I think it should be created.  Here's why: If we had a forum, we could have threads for individual shows, and from what I've seen in some threads, there's enough people to carry at least a few shows week-to-week during the on-season.  You see, if there's interest in a show on a forum, I've seen threads where people post their thoughts, and discussions about their content each week, when a new episode is released.  I believe also, that a subforum dedicated to TV would serve as a lightning rod, to draw in people who would be interested in talking about such subjects.

Also, we might consider making it feature both television AND movies.  If we did that, it would definitely at LEAST get more than 135 posts in 7 threads, which seems to be the minimum for a subforum that isn't focused on original content of any type.

FallenStar

See, this is your point really fails, OnlySupers.

You expect this site to be run as though run by a dictator and furthermore, your post gives the indication that you think *you* should be that dictator.

When I created this forum, I already knew that my personal views and objectives were not very popular, so I created the suggestion board (and told those with good suggestions to post polls) to judge how the members would think about certain ideas.

And judging from the votes so far, your own personal viewpoint, which you seem to expose as though you expect it to be carried out, is in the minority, so at the time of this posting, there will be *no* TV and movie forum. If you really need a place to talk about your favorite shows, there IS the General Discussion forum.

Welp... I'm fucked...

OnlySupers

Quote from: FallenStar on February 24, 2010, 10:18:19 PM
See, this is your point really fails, OnlySupers.

You expect this site to be run as though run by a dictator and furthermore, your post gives the indication that you think *you* should be that dictator.

When I created this forum, I already knew that my personal views and objectives were not very popular, so I created the suggestion board (and told those with good suggestions to post polls) to judge how the members would think about certain ideas.

And judging from the votes so far, your own personal viewpoint, which you seem to expose as though you expect it to be carried out, is in the minority, so at the time of this posting, there will be *no* TV and movie forum. If you really need a place to talk about your favorite shows, there IS the General Discussion forum.

Uh, no.  See, you seem to think I want to be the authority on this, but really, all I was doing was suggesting that you take it into your hands, and thought I'd provide some form of logic or reasoning behind my viewpoint.  Hopefully, a post like that might bring on-the-fence people onto my side, thus allowing for it to happen.  I don't, for the record, think this should be a dictatorship, I just think that if even a few people would use a board, it wouldn't go to waste.  Just like I said in the other thread, you don't HAVE to follow it.  But I have a right to post my opinion on things, don't I?  Isn't that what this subforum iis for?

FallenStar

I don't know about others, but saying that I should run this board without checking to see if *enough* others actually care about such boards sounds an awful lot to me like you want me to run this board as though it's my own personal empire or something.

I will *not* create boards that are against popular opinion as I feel that popular opinion (thus, the voting) ought to be the deciding factor in whether or not I'll make a new board.

And contrary to popular belief, I don't want a board used by only those select few who care about the topic; I want the whole forum used by nearly everyone and whilst I may not fully succeed at that, neither will I create boards just for one or two people. Which, right now, is all that would use said board, according to the votes.

Welp... I'm fucked...

OnlySupers

Okay.  I respect that.  And that's completely fair.  I just thought I'd present my POV, in hopes of changing a few minds.

DubiousCharms

So is this forum a democracy, an aristocracy or oligarchy?  :lol:

FallenStar

Quote from: B.u.S. on February 25, 2010, 02:02:40 PM
We could let the inmates run the asylum... but to be honest, we're ALL inmates so quite frankly, we're fucked. :P

Hell, even the Warden is fucking fucked off his rocker.   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...