New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

A little inconsistency in the rules

Started by Maelstrom, September 12, 2009, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Greetings, site administrator. I'd like to take this moment to simply point out an inconsistency in the rules which has more than likely been the cause of much confusion and many headaches among the staff and new members. The rules are not up-to-date. Let me explain:

Rule number 7 states the following:
Rule number 7: (READ THIS ONE!!!!) In order to gain access to all the goodies that this site has to offer, you must first post an intro (to gain access to the rest of the forum), then you must post at least 10 times to gain access to all the other features. This is done to prevent leechers and spam bots! This rule will not be changed, so please do not complain about it!

However, when one rolls over to the FAQ section of the board, they come across a topic which states the following:

You now need an invitation to see the image gallery. This is because so many lurkers were posting spam just for a few minutes of gallery access before having their post counts reset. To get invited, just follow the rules and participate in the forum. If it looks like you want to be here, you will get the invite. If it looks like you're just posting short, useless junk to see the pics, you will not get the invite.

Since I've been paying attention, I know that this means rule number 7 as listed in the rules is outdated, and the new rule is that mods will choose who and when to grant access to the gallery. Well this is all fine and dandy, except that I think it would be beneficial to add that to the actual rules post. Yes, I know that it's mostly the people who don't pay attention to that stuff who you don't want here, but think about it. Some new member joins and reads the rules. Well fine, they say, all I gotta do is post 10 relatively constructive posts and I'm in. So they do that, and they continue posting. They get to 20 posts over the course of 3 days, and they're still not admitted. They get impatient, and they start making complaint topics, thus removing any chance they ever had of becoming an advanced member. Though they aren't aware of it, simply because they didn't check the FAQ section to figure out the new rule on becoming an advanced member.

If you update the rules, then people like this would either just be patient and keep posting and trying to contribute to the community, or not even take the effort in the first place. There would still be complaint topics, there always will be, but I believe it would lessen the amount of complaints. I am in no way trying to tell you guys how to do your job, I'm simply voicing my opinion because I think it will be beneficial to the community.

Scoozums

Good point out :) So the FAQ is updated but the Rules post needs to be reviewed for consistency  :lol:

The 10 post rule was changed because new members were simply spamming 10 posts to get access to the galleries and then leave once they'd had their fill.  In this way with mods deciding who is eligible and intelligent enough to be granted access, many would be leachers can be weeded out.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Scoozums on September 12, 2009, 03:19:10 PM
Good point out :) So the FAQ is updated but the Rules post needs to be reviewed for consistency  :lol:

The 10 post rule was changed because new members were simply spamming 10 posts to get access to the galleries and then leave once they'd had their fill.  In this way with mods deciding who is eligible and intelligent enough to be granted access, many would be leachers can be weeded out.

Indeed, and I completely agree with that method. If I ran any sort of site, I'd do it on an invitation-only basis. You can't be too careful on the internet, you never know what kind of malicious conduct some people have in store. (Including but not limited to hacking, DDoSing or just being an outright prick in general)

FallenStar

Fix'd.  Sorry about that. Undoubtedly, my personal troubles with my ISP have clouded my brain.    :death:

Maelstrom

Sweet, the administrator who actually listens to the people! Karma for you  :clap:

Everything else looks good so far. It doesn't take long for me to notice problems though, and if I do again, I'll be sure to post here :)

FallenStar

Hehe... that was just a stupid dumb mistake on my part.   :lol:

Maelstrom

While I'm at it, I might as well post a few more rules which are obsolete or otherwise outdated.

QuoteRule Number 10: NO SPAMMING THE INTRO BOARD TO GET ACCESS! THAT WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN! (seriously, I'd have thought this was obvious, but apparently, it's not... )

Since all new registered members are now able to post in any board right away, it should just be "No spamming ANY boards"

QuoteRule Number 12:  If you are sure you made 10 posts, but find that you have less than that, make sure that your posts weren't deleted for being spam! Anyone else to keeps asking this question will receive a two day ban!  =|

Since you no longer grant access based on post count, this rule is obsolete. You can still keep the "Two day ban for anyone whining about not getting access to the gallery" thing if you like, but I don't think it's necessary unless it really gets out of hand.