New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Leechers

Started by packrat, August 25, 2007, 11:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime_God

it is pretty hard to get 10 posts. I've taken part on forums, and I'm generally a pretty passive poster. I do say something when I feel need be, but most of the time I'm pretty quiet. Also, with the current lack of active members, 10 might be a stretch for those of us who aren't into RP.

FallenStar

I'm sorry you feel that way.

If you don't feel capable of being part of a community of FD-loving fans, perhaps Nyou2 and Nyou Fiction is more your speed.

FallenStar - Head Admin

Omega#1

Some very good points.  However, I see this forum as a way to find new friends, and with new friends come new conversations and topics.

ppfan

I'm somewhat confused.

You have something that people appear to want in the pictures and stories. And you have something that isn't as wanted in the forum. Why have the site revolve around the less popular part? Why not have comments on the pictures count as well? That way you'd get input and feedback and people would get to see the pictures and read the fics at the same time?

Fostering a community is nice, but if you keep kicking people out who aren't part of it every day, you're going to turn off a lot of people. If you were really interested in growing the community you would let positive word of mouth spread to build up membership. Then when it's big enough, you can impose some restrictions. Like on Peesearch, where I came from. The post minimum is 15. Even though that's more than yours, it doesn't matter because over a dozen new threads and 200 posts have been made since I visited last night. Making a quality post isn't hard when there are quality threads to start. I agree with Penny_Arc in that there so seems to be too many restrictions.You delete accounts after 10 days? Gimme a break! I've been busy with school and other obligations for 10 days or more several times. Are you trying to punish people for having a life outside of the forum? 90 days makes much more sense. Even better, on Peesearch, they just delete a post from your score every month. That way a person at 10 will only have to make one more post instead of 15, which they might not even bother doing.

FallenStar

I'm sorry... but I'd rather have a small forum full of people who post every 10 days at the minimum, than to have people who go more than 2 weeks without posting.

Further, if you don't like it, you can always just pack up and leave. No one's forcing you to be here. If you don't like it, you don't have to remain a member.

Also:  I am looking into the idea of a system to let me know if someone hasn't posted on the forum but has posted pics or fics in the downloads section. When I work something out on that, all you will need to do is sign on to the site once every 10 days (I believe that's all that's needed - you don't even need to post) to show that you've been active on the site...)

And...

Again, if the forum doesn't have topics you wish to talk about, for god's sake, man... suggest some new ones! Suggest new boards or anything! If you don't like the current topics or the boards aren't to your liking, suggest new boards! It's not that hard if you've already typed up this!  =)

FallenStar - Site Admin

packrat

Quote from: FallenStar on January 31, 2008, 01:04:54 PM
Further, if you don't like it, you can always just pack up and leave. No one's forcing you to be here. If you don't like it, you don't have to remain a member.

Ouch...that's harsh man.  You really aren't going to get many members with an attitude like that....>_>

QuoteAgain, if the forum doesn't have topics you wish to talk about, for god's sake, man... suggest some new ones! Suggest new boards or anything! If you don't like the current topics or the boards aren't to your liking, suggest new boards! It's not that hard if you've already typed up this!  =)

FallenStar - Site Admin

I completely agree.  I just wish everyone else would do this.

FallenStar

Quote from: packrat on January 31, 2008, 01:51:57 PM
Ouch...that's harsh man.  You really aren't going to get many members with an attitude like that....>_> 

Yeah, I know...  I'm just really tired of people complaining about those rules... >.>

No offense meant to anyone, of course.   :death:

ppfan

Quote from: packrat on January 31, 2008, 01:51:57 PM
Quote from: FallenStar on January 31, 2008, 01:04:54 PM

From what I can tell, that's the standard moderator response when their dominance is questioned. They aren't interested in making the place better, just remaining in control. If several people have complained about the rules, then that should be a cue to you to change them.

FallenStar

Quote from: ppfan on February 01, 2008, 06:54:41 AM
From what I can tell, that's the standard moderator response when their dominance is questioned. They aren't interested in making the place better, just remaining in control. If several people have complained about the rules, then that should be a cue to you to change them.

It's the standard moderator response when people try to get things for free when they really shouldn't...

I've already explained to you that I do not like leechers...  If you want to know how I define leechers, go and look at the topic in the Announcements board.

Now, if you can't post or even log in once every 30 days and you do not upload any pictures/files to the site, I'm afraid I'll have to delete your account.

It is really your choice, dude...  Again, no one is forcing you to be here. You can make your own choice. 

No matter which forum you go to, you are always going to have rules. Rules that you can either follow, or leave. 

I'm sorry if you don't like the rules, but they are what they are and they will *not* be changed  just to suit a few grumpy members, okay?

FallenStar

nagato

personally, I agree with FallenStar's stance on the rules. They are good rules I have seen many forums with rules laxer than here that after awhile collapse under their own weight and drown in the cesspool of shit they created. There are other forums where the rules are much stricter and the members feel repressed. From what I have seen most people here fall into neither category and are happy with the rules. So why should the administrator change the rules that the majority approve of for the small minority that disapprove. However when I read posts about people being banned and the rules on the front page it sounds like everyone who gets banned is banned on the first offense without even a warning. So maybe a good compromise would to put them on watch if they can't fallow the rules and if they still have trouble give a temporary ban and if they still have trouble after the temporary ban then they get a permanent ban.

p.s It is not hard to get 10 posts on this forum. I was able to get my first 10 from my intro post a reply to my intro post and posted in 6 of the 8 anime general topics and posted in 2 of the video game topics.
"The fastest way to flush a rat out of its nest is with a little bit of carpet bombing." - Char "The Red Comet" Aznable

FallenStar

Actuallly, no one is really banned unless they do something really stupid like blab to everyone they are underage...

The only thing I do is delete the account (which they are free to remake if they so desire)... and that's simply my way of "warning" them as this forum doesn't really have (or at least, I don't know) of any means of warning someone short of banning or deleting them...  =/

packrat

What about that "Karma" thing?  That messing with that affect a member's abilities?  If it could, may be you could use that as a warning too.  (Like setting a limit to the number of negative karma points one can recieve and have the deleted if they go past that limit.)

FallenStar

Quote from: packrat on February 02, 2008, 10:53:54 AM
What about that "Karma" thing?  That messing with that affect a member's abilities?  If it could, may be you could use that as a warning too.  (Like setting a limit to the number of negative karma points one can recieve and have the deleted if they go past that limit.)

S'far as I know, it doesn't affect anything...  =/

I should speak to Doom_Guard about it... He seems to come up with lots of good answers for SMF type forums... That's why I made him an admin...  xD

rianswings

While I think the ten posts are a good idea, it would help if there were more forums open to post in right away.  All I can post in is this forum right now.

nagato

Quote from: rianswings on May 07, 2008, 11:48:32 AM
While I think the ten posts are a good idea, it would help if there were more forums open to post in right away.  All I can post in is this forum right now.

that's not right you should have access to the anime, video game and final fantasy forums.
"The fastest way to flush a rat out of its nest is with a little bit of carpet bombing." - Char "The Red Comet" Aznable