News:

New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Doctor Who (Discussion and Probably SPOILERS)

Started by Omofan1234, December 25, 2013, 08:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omofan1234

Anyone here watch Doctor Who?
Have you guys seen the 50th/Christmas special yet?

Drying

Oh definitely.

50th was awesome because of the references everywhere and the story development, but it was too short, seemed rushed.
A lot of things were simply ignored. There was no continuity between the Name and the Day, where there was clearly a big gap (both the Doctor and Clara should have died >_< ), the characters were rushed all over the place and some things were not shown at all.
For example, what was the result of the negotiations in U.N.I.T., and what happened when the memories came back?
Still, it was great seeing David Tennant back as the Doctor. He is still my favorite.

Christmas special (the Time) was awesome because Moffat finally got the pacing right. Most of his episodes try to do too much in too little time, but this one got it right IMO.
The story was not too interesting, but it tied in quite well with the unresolved plotlines, although I will never understand why the Time Lords listened to Clara, but not once thought about the Doctor, while he lived next to that crack for ages. Also the extra regeneration thing (coming from a random new crack :S ) was kind of lame.
But that speech at the end, and Amy! :crying: Really well done. And suddenly, Capaldi.

I did not like 11 that well, but I think he got a lot better since The Snowmen. I have high hopes for Capaldi though.

Omofan1234

But, see, I disagree about Matt Smith. I liked him up until Clara came. I think Smith is fine, but I don't think that he does so well with Clara. In my opinion, she's pretty badly written. She is very predictable, and unsettlingly quirky. I'm hoping Moffat leaves as head-writer. I'd much prefer if RTD came back.
But, yes, KIDNEYS.

And sorry I haven't posted in a while, I completely forgot about this thread.

Drying

Well you're the one who started this :P
And I don't like the color.

I don't mind Clara that much, although I agree that her personality is not very realistic.
Maybe it would have worked better if she were some kind of alien.

I don't think RTD would work as a main writer again, because his episodes tended to have a lot of wackiness and social criticism, which may not work as well for the large (and very international) audience the show has these days. I would prefer another main writer than Moffat though, because the Moffat episodes I loved most are the ones in the RTD era. They're more episodic and unique. While I do like Moffat's large underlying plot arcs from Eleven's run, I constantly feel like the build-up to the conclusion is either non-existant or way too much, and then the conclusion feels kind of short and hurried, which I feel is a pity for large and complex plot lines. What I would like to see is a mixed bag including both. Some RTD, some Moffat, some others.