New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

How sensitive to grammar are you?

Started by Mighty Oracle, August 14, 2010, 06:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Oracle

At what point do you draw the line between "good" and "bad" grammar? Do you care if someone doesn't type perfectly, just so long as it's still readable? Or do you prefer for people to speak/type perfectly?

I happen to fall into the former category, myself. I'm curious to know where you guys stand?

FallenStar

I've been called the greatest Grammar Nazi this side of Germany and I'm damn well proud of it.    :gunsmilie:
Welp... I'm fucked...

JackO

I am have being known to want persons who am addressing me to speak proper language and spellings when online talking is occurrence.  :lol:

anime lover

as long as I can understand what the person is talking about, it doesn't really matter to me. this is especially true for when I read fics, sometimes I don't even notice the errors, my brain just sees the correct word and I read right on by, like the flow of the sentence, you can assume what word is next.

Total Projects: 434
Latest Project: The Geelien's 5-4
Current Project: NONE

Neil

I not sensitive to grammar. As long as I can understand what they're saying, then I don't mind. Besides, I think it's hilarious when people didn't speak perfectly.

Eiko: "You must be Kuja!"
Quina: "I not Kuja. I Quina."  :lol:
The world of Musubi is the ideal world for me. I get to do what I want, and that includes making girls desperate whenever I want.

NotPeepingTom

I'm more of the spelling aspect of a grammar nazi. Grammar I can overlook if it's funny or amusing, but I rage when someone can't spell simple words correctly.

packrat

As long as they don't use 1337 speak or try to shorten entire sentences to the first letter of each word  I don't really care. 

lie2hacker2

I fall under the category of grammer nazi.

animepee

Generally I don't mind that much. If I see someone constantly making the same mistakes over and over again, I'll most likely correct them for it, and continue to until they get it correct. :p

I consider good spelling and grammar to be an attribute everyone should have, but that's just my opinion.

ryuuzakikun

[End transmission.]

Ashitaka

I'd say I'm very sensitive to it - I tend to notice a lot of errors, though I don't tend to pick people up on them. If I notice bad grammar or spelling mistakes in my own posts, I find it extremely irritating...

KawaiiChew2

- When someone fails to use capital letters where needed
- lack or wrongful use of '
- When people confuse you're and your, and there, their and they're
- When people lack the skills to use proper punctuation and stuff

I'm kind of a grammar nazi, but I see through my fingers if with some things if the content of the text is otherwise okay written

Ranpalan

I tend to notice it a lot, although I have to say I'm probably not perfect with my use of commas, colons and semicolons.

KawaiiChew, do you make an exception for punctuation?
Always happy to get PMs/IMs

tenck5k

I'm certainly not perfect either, but I've always been pretty sensitive to grammar and spelling. I can sort of tell when looking at a normal word if it's spelled wrong, even if I don't know how to fix it. As for grammar, when I read a sentence with incorrect grammar I tend to "hear" that something is weird about the sentence. I guess this means I'm decently sensitive.

As for how much incorrect grammar and spelling annoy me, I generally only bother another person about their mistakes if the sentence is very hard or impossible to understand. There are exceptions however, such as using the wrong "their."

|\/|
</ ̄ ̄丶
__彡ノメノノレリ〉
\ルリ゚ヮ゚ノリ
><(つiつ
∠_く//」」             Br⑨s Unite!
STILL The STRONGEST Ex-Lurker!

karlito

oh on the internet it shouldnt really matter as long as u undrstnd wht iz being ritten. see ;) now i no tht ths wil anoy loadza peeps but you can still understand what im writing or at least trying to say.
however i suppose on the other side of things, if english wasnt my first language this may be massivly piss annoying (no pun intended) :)