New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Thinking about a new desp-related game project

Started by Qasim, August 31, 2010, 04:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qasim

Alright, I have laid some groundwork, mainly experimenting with the general handling of bladder fullness and so forth. Although I would really love to put in as many variables as possible (i.e. determination to hold it, current situation and so forth), it all does increase the complexity dramatically. On the other hand, however, we are not working on a deadline here, so that should not be the main concern.

Then there is the question about the protagonist - should the player character be male or female, and should (s)he be affected by the 'rules'? Maybe that could be quite interesting for the player to effectively be a guide to the main character. What do you think?

Dynamic

Quote from: none on September 12, 2010, 08:04:09 AMHopefully we won't be programming this in COBOL or RPG400!

I was thinking FORTRAN 77

I kind of already said why I don't like Visual Basic, but I guess I'm not opposed to it either.  But I just remembered that in this thread we are already using some engine already, so I suppose it's moot.  For now...

As for the player character, I'm a fan of gender neutrality.  That way we don't alienate anyone.  The player name can be entered, such as in none's game, but I think it's best to keep it as neutral as possible.  The whole fun of a game like this is projecting yourself (or how you fancy yourself) into the role of the player, right?  Or am I way off base as usual?
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

oramisho

as easy as a simple radomizer might be, it would ceartinly get old fast unless you added hundreds of different lines to avoid getting the same things twice, and "making a puddle on the floor" wouldn't exactly work if on the beach as said or in a pool. You'd either need to make some really,really generic lines that could litterally fit anywhere, or have to code in  specific sets of generic lines anyway, at which point you might as well write unique ones.

Dynamic

Unless we're feeling particularly adventerous and wanna try writing several small snippets that the engine can parse together into a somewhat meaningful phrase.

Give me a few hours to contemplate on this.  I just got home from skool and the wheels in my head aren't turning so good.
"A routine soul smear confirmed the presence of pure evil."

none

Ok I downloaded Inform 7 and I'll be blunt....I'm not loving it. If you want to use the unique descriptions then this is PREFECT! you won't even need programmers since the language is so natural..  And there lies the problem just to create a variable and attach a value to it I have to type:

The girl's bladder is a kind of value that varies. The girl's bladder is 500

That's great if the "girl's bladder  " is one of two or three variables that we're gonna use here but typing in all of that in just to randomize a variable seems...cumbersome plus in order to set the value to something constant(Like how after the girl wets herself I would have to type)

now girl's bladder is 25;

Am I going to have to type that in every time? If so you are just asking for human error bugs.

Quote from: Qasim on September 12, 2010, 08:08:43 PM
Alright, I have laid some groundwork, mainly experimenting with the general handling of bladder fullness and so forth. Although I would really love to put in as many variables as possible (i.e. determination to hold it, current situation and so forth), it all does increase the complexity dramatically. On the other hand, however, we are not working on a deadline here, so that should not be the main concern.

Regardless of my love or hate of the engine could you post your code please?  :clap: Don't worry about how readable or how finished it is it would greatly help me in my understanding of Inform, and what you want to do with the game. 

Quote from: Qasim on September 12, 2010, 08:08:43 PM
Then there is the question about the protagonist - should the player character be male or female, and should (s)he be affected by the 'rules'? Maybe that could be quite interesting for the player to effectively be a guide to the main character. What do you think?

Like in Poowrite's KWEST?  That could work very well if the writings good!

PS. KWEST was a game written in(I think?) Basic were you took control of a apprentice magician girl who's first mission was to slay an evil Wizard? Demon? REALLY REALLY EVIL GUY! that weakens people who tried to attack his's castle by making them have to go to the bathroom badly. You can guess what happens next. I loved it.