New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Cartoons of the 80's and early 90's

Started by FallenStar, September 30, 2009, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingInfinite

My point with the grunt comment is that if you saw Bruce Timm's work anywhere, you'd probably think 'Oh yeah, this looks like that Batman cartoon', solely because nobody else draws like that. If I saw the work of whoever did Spider-Man or X-Men, I don't think I'd be able to do that. That's why I'm thinking the Batman cartoon is more visually original, and if not that, certainly more visually distinctive.

In and of itself that doesn't make one show more enjoyable than the other; a lot of good work is not drawn to be particularly distinctive (I'm thinking Watchmen, but others may disagree...).

FallenStar

Yeah, you probably don't want to badmouth Watchmen around here... You'll probably get your head bitten off, lol

And quite frankly, I've never seen anyone do something special about Batman; the artwork is good and solid, but not something that stands out like you're saying. Same for Spider-Man or X-Men. Solid artwork, solid stories, but nothing that you're going to remember, except in Spider-Man's case, the CGI sequences which were far ahead of their time.

Welp... I'm fucked...

LivingInfinite

Well, I wasn't saying Bruce Timm was an amazing artist...I don't think he is. Just that I can tell when he drew something. Like this:

http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/vampirella-timm.jpg

Nothing to do with Batman, but it looks just like the Batman cartoon, for better or worse.

P.S. I love Watchmen

FallenStar

I've never actually been interested in that particular body style; it looks like she should have a bone sticking out of her hip or something. Sure, that might be seen as B.T's work, but you've got to figure that for its time, Batman was an Emmy Award series and many people are bound to notice that.

You might also recognize the art from the B.T. there on the side.   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

LivingInfinite

Well, I also googled 'Bruce Timm' so I knew it was him to begin with :P And you're right, there should be two bones protruding there, the iliac crest and the trocanter. But the fact that he consistently doesn't draw them (either out of ignorance or because he chooses not to) is one of the 'tells' that it was him.

FallenStar

It's also the thing that bugged the crap out of me the most.   :lol:  He drew such tiny waists it's like the girls should have imploded instead of being able to stand up.  One thing that makes Spider-Man and X-Men ten times better, IMO. 
Welp... I'm fucked...

hashish

Don't forget the Gummy Bears (bouncing here and there and everywhere) I used to have gargoyles pyjamas! Don't forget Dragon Flyz and Insektorz, Johnny Quest and Highlander. I used to LOVE conan the barbarian SO much but I cant find anything to do with it nowdays  :crying: The Silver Surfer animated series was my favourite ever Marvel, although all the animated superheroes cartoons were IMO the best in the 90's. All the marvel ones and that superman one too.

The_Enigma

Well, I was around the cartoon watching age in the mid-90's, so all of this stuff is just a tad before my time.  Some of my favorites as a kid were Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, AH! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers, Spiderman, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and of course, Pokemon!  Man, those were some classics.  They really don't make cartoons to the same caliber that they used to...unless it just seems that way because I'm older...

anastyanax

It's all about Reboot, Escaflowne, and Dragon Ball Z. Also Timon and Pumba...and Darkwing Duck. :D

FallenStar

Quote from: anastyanax on October 28, 2009, 10:55:16 PM
It's all about Reboot, Escaflowne, and Dragon Ball Z. Also Timon and Pumba...and Darkwing Duck. :D

Reboot was quite the kickass CGI show. Escaflowne, I think was an anime and thus, not part of this topic. (to be honest, Voltron shouldn't either, but I'll allow it). Again, DBZ is anime and not part of this topic.   Timon and Pumbaa was partially good, I'll grant you that.  Darkwing Duck rocks.

LET'S GET DANGEROUS! I AM THE TERROR THAT FLAPS IN THE NIGHT...!
Welp... I'm fucked...

D_guy10

I fucking loved Silverhawks back in the day, I always stuck around to watch the trivia sequences at the end too. I wish I could watch some Tailspin episodes again, I have the love for the show still, but barely any memories. Darwin Duck didn't hang around much on the network that I watched it back then sadly, but yeah I got into it easily. X-Men is classic Marvel, classic in general really.

Does anybody remember M.A.S.K? Can't go wrong with, big rigs, flying cars and planes blowing up everything on the screen,

For that matter there was the original Transformers. Nothing else need be said, I think, just... Transformers. Yeah. :gunsmilie:

FallenStar

Quote from: D_guy10 on November 06, 2009, 10:15:58 PM
I fucking loved Silverhawks back in the day, I always stuck around to watch the trivia sequences at the end too. I wish I could watch some Tailspin episodes again, I have the love for the show still, but barely any memories. Darwin Duck didn't hang around much on the network that I watched it back then sadly, but yeah I got into it easily. X-Men is classic Marvel, classic in general really.

Does anybody remember M.A.S.K? Can't go wrong with, big rigs, flying cars and planes blowing up everything on the screen,

For that matter there was the original Transformers. Nothing else need be said, I think, just... Transformers. Yeah. :gunsmilie:

Silverhawks was quite simply one of the best cartoons I ever personally saw and hey, it was educational too!  =D  Who was your favorite character?

I downloaded a torrent for Darkwing Duck recently. Great series, really great.  Talespin was loads of fun too. I especially liked Baloo and Louie (cos  :P  )
Welp... I'm fucked...