New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

UFC and MMA in general.

Started by Ocelot, June 23, 2009, 02:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocelot

Anyone watch it or train in MMA on this board besides me?

Tru

Oh, B.u.S., it's a demonstrable fact that all sports are gay. The grappling just makes this one more obvious, not really any gayer. :biggrin:

Personally, I've seen a few MMA matches before, and it seems to me that it has a lot of skill involved in it. In that way, it seems more interesting than most other violence-sports out there. I did see the one where Chuck Liddel got knocked around by the other guy and was forced to retire because of it. Poor Iceman. I've never seen a big macho fighter like that look like he was on the verge of tears before. I felt sorry for him. :icon_frown:
This is an experiment of sorts. I don't really expect most people to care about my music listening habits.

Tru

Er...no, you're right, I haven't. Wow, what a 'roided up loser.

Now, I don't know what you're saying about a lack of variety. God knows I'm hardly an expert on what's going on in there, but I can see a big difference between some of the fighters there. Like this guy Machida, who uses Karate. He doesn't look like anyone else in there! Then there's Muay Thai, and jujutsu, and all that, and it seems to me that you can tell the difference between fighters who use those styles.
This is an experiment of sorts. I don't really expect most people to care about my music listening habits.

Ocelot

The gay jokes are kind of lame in my opinion. Have you nothing better to do than to berate individuals who have trained to get where they are? Also the reasons some martial arts aren't seen is because they do not work. Why try to look impressive and cool when it is just going to lead to me getting ktfo?

Tru

QuoteAs for looking impressive and cool, there's a reason why I enjoy wrestling and not MMA. Wrestling allows you to be flashy, and if you suspend your disbelief it enhances the effect.

Wrestling, B.u.S.? Pro wrestling? Man, if I want to watch a "flashy," "impressive," or "cool" fight, I'll watch a kung-fu movie. I just can't suspend my disbelief when it comes to the weird, unbelievable stuff that takes place in the WWF (or WWE, or whatever they're calling it these days). Like, they'll have someone do a move, and it somehow hurts both people, and one of them is laying on the ground just rolling in pain while the other is standing but "stunned" and kind of wandering around in a drunken haze, maybe leaning against the ropes catching his breath, or whatever. And neither of them are doing anything.

WAT

That's not just unrealistic, it's BORING. In a real fight, you don't see someone just kind of break away and take a quick breather while the other guy reacts in pain to some move.

You know, reading all that makes it look like I have some seriously strong opinions about pro wrestling? :lol: I don't really...I just think it's some seriously goofy shit...and I guess I'm in a combative mood today? Oh well. Don't take me too seriously, B.u.S., I don't mean to condemn your taste in entertainment (even if I happen to think it's "some seriously goofy shit," lol).

FallenStar

Pro Wrestling is, in the words of one of the wrestlers himself, a high-impact ballet. Considering the boredom that a lot of people feel when watching ballet at the theater, is it any wonder that some people may find Pro Wrestling boring as well?   :lol:

Also, let me point out that "Pro Wrestling" isn't really so much professional as it is a fantasy - a fantasy story where people still get hurt and injured (and in the case of Owen Hart, death... R.I.P.), yes... but a fantasy nonetheless.  You got the good guys (face), you got the bad guys (heel), and then you got the wild and crazyass guys that flit between both (Sting, Ken Shamrock for a while, and Macho Man, Randy Savage).   :lol:

That being said, I still found it enjoyable back in '96 when Ted Turner ran WCW; he actually had a knowledge of what people wanted to see and for most of its run, WCW outperformed WWF time and time again.  It wasn't until he stuck with the same storyline for too long (the n.W.o  storyline), that he started to lose viewers, then the fucker sold out.   :death:

Vince MacMahon, on the other hand, is nothing but shitty, shitty, shitty - and his old "Kiss my ass" club just reeked like nothing before it.  And I wish they'd stop doing Bra and Panties matches;  that shit ain't nothing but a cocktease...  I WANNA SEE SOME DAMN WARDROBE MALFUNCTIONS, DAMNIT!   :lol:

I did see a little UFC once in a while and I do know who Chuck Liddel is...  but like B.u.S., *most* of the fighters seem to have similar styles - there are a few that I can tell that are vastly different, but to me, for the most part, it's punch, dance, punch, dance, take down, dryhump, get up, dance, punch, and maybe a few kicks thrown in from time to time. 

TaintedLove

Goddamn I hate UFC.  Thank god MMA's out of vogue.

Poowrite

My parents love MMA stuff. They prefer WEC to UFC, but everytime I go home to visit they're watching and I watch too. I enjoy it. The matches are fun to watch and my dad and I go all MST3K on them which makes them even more entertaining.

Personally, I'd rather watch boxing than MMA. But, MMA isn't bad either.

If you own a PS3, download the demo. Give this game a shot. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

FallenStar

Quote from: Poowrite on July 16, 2009, 12:42:51 AM
My parents love MMA stuff. They prefer WEC to UFC, but everytime I go home to visit they're watching and I watch too. I enjoy it. The matches are fun to watch and my dad and I go all MST3K on them which makes them even more entertaining.

Personally, I'd rather watch boxing than MMA. But, MMA isn't bad either.

You make me jealous, Poowrite. I've always wanted to do MiSTs of my fanfiction (or have other people do it), but I guess I just didn't attract the right crowd.  In fact, in one of my Sailor Saturn fics, I specifically put an author's note that it was a good fic for that.   :lol: