Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

We're gonna die (Swine Flu Outbreak)

Started by MKFan200, May 01, 2009, 09:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKFan200

Hey Guys (and girls, god forbid)
I don't know if you heard yet (probably because your too busy masterbating) but we have a problem.
A new strain of swine flu has just appeared over in Mexico and cases are now beginning to pop up all over the world.

Mexcio right now has a high fataility rate of 84, with hundreds more sick. United States has so far only one fatality with about 100 confirmed cases all recovering. However, this is a brand new strain of the virus that has traded genes with different viruses making our immune system almost ineffective against it till we become sick.
While the virus is still just a normal flu and can be stopped with our natrual immune system with time, virologists theroize that it could pontentially mutate into an even deadlier virus when the flu season resumes again in December.
A vaccine is being made as we speak. It will be complete Early May and will be distrubuted sometime in September. However since our president is putting more resources into WHO, we could see it eariler.
SO until then, avoid contact with anyone sick and wash your hands after you leave any public place. Keep your immune system strong. If you get sick, GET BETTER!

Just a fair warning to all who haven't heard the  news.

Oh and just cause ur in another country, your not safe. Theres already cases in UK, England, Spain, etc.
For mroe information, read this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak
or do your own research.

ThornBlues

well, i just wanted to say that i have heard about it, and cant STOP hearing about it, :102: so i decided to do some research, and since everyone is SO paranoid about it, i cant find much legitimate information, so i took what i could find and did some piecing together, and what i figured out is: it is NOT bad at the moment (in most countries, Mexico NOT included) and any disease could mutate int a deadly, world ending virus, this isnt that special just because it's new. that is all, sorry for the rant

wunderwutzl

Totally agree with B.u.S.; even in the worst possible Scenario, no Species dies out from a Disease, there will always be a few who are immune ! The only Reason for the Losses in Mexico was the Lack of prober Medical treatment anyway.

Tru

As much as I'm in agreement that the danger is kind of being blown out of proportion, this:
Quoteeven in the worst possible Scenario, no Species dies out from a Disease, there will always be a few who are immune
Is not exactly reassuring. I'm not personally invested in the survival of humanity as a race as much as I am the survival of the people close to me. If I die, or if I lose the people I care about, what does it matter to me whether the human race as a species dies out or survives?
This is an experiment of sorts. I don't really expect most people to care about my music listening habits.

ThornBlues

tru, you have a very good point, but still, that is only in the worst case scenario, and it isnt probably going to get even half that bad.

Tru

I still think you're blowing this way out of proportion. "Half that bad" is still the destruction of almost half the human population. We've had similar scares in the past like the avian flu, or the last swine flu, but they were both instances of the media going out of their way to try to cause a panic. This isn't the Black Death we're talking about, and I sincerely doubt healthy individuals with access to decent health care are in any danger.
This is an experiment of sorts. I don't really expect most people to care about my music listening habits.

ThornBlues

Quote from: Tru on May 02, 2009, 06:10:15 PM
I still think you're blowing this way out of proportion. "Half that bad" is still the destruction of almost half the human population. We've had similar scares in the past like the avian flu, or the last swine flu, but they were both instances of the media going out of their way to try to cause a panic. This isn't the Black Death we're talking about, and I sincerely doubt healthy individuals with access to decent health care are in any danger.
okay, i see what you're saying, but i am still saying it *could* be that bad but still not likely

Sipplewat

Swine flu is meaningless. There have been plenty of cases in the US and all of them just got over it.

Igotseven

hey if we can survive SARS, then we can survive this.
what has logarithms got to do with our lives

ganduer

This is why I hate the media. They always add their own 'truth' to the real event.
There is no case reported in here in Australia yet but there still is a massive, pointless panic.
My stupid professor thinks that its the end of the world soon and the swine flu will kill most of us. :/

TiaMaria

It's the coming of the apocalypse! Run, you fools!

OK, parodic scaremongering aside, it's a flu bug. We get them every year. Clearly the whole world is having a slow news period. 'Flu kills man' is hardly breaking news at most times of the year, lets be honest. In other news, Tasmanian devils confirmed in Tasmania.

ganduer

The world is always in a slow news period.
They resort to spreading pointless gossip and showing their single biased veiw.
If you ask me they need to show two sides of the story and maybe there will be more to talk about on the news.

(Back to the main topic)

This flu is a new strain there is reason to panic but only to the extent that you are aware that it can Potentionally kill people and not some world wide thing that it is now.

Serika

Fear makes good headline news. I don't believe anyone here will be directly affected (you may know someone who knows someone, ect...) by the Swine Flu, just call it a hunch.

On a good note, i hear some grocery stores are handing out free hand sanitizer at the entrance. It never hurts to wash your hands.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

wittyiswity

10 $ says swine flu is the next bird flu.

Also

Swine flew.

ThornBlues

Quote from: wittyiswity on May 07, 2009, 05:14:08 PM
10 $ says swine flu is the next bird flu.

Also

Swine flew.
speaking of which, random bit of paranoia, someone said the world will end 3 years after pigs flu... thats 2012, coincidence? i think so.