New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Daily Posts and Spam Termination

Started by packrat, October 06, 2008, 04:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packrat

*read I'd like to suggest a daily posting requirement for seeing the image section and download section. 

For example:

If you attempt to view either the image section or the downloads section but haven't posted within the last 24 hours, you have to post at least 3 times before you are allowed access.

I also thing we should be a little bit clearer on the definition of "spam" around here and start deleting posts that are considered spam instead of just banning and deleting members.  It might improve the members base.

These ideas may be a bit harsh (and a bit hard to enforce), but I've seen the one about the "daily post count" work on other boards.  I'm also hoping that it will get people out of the "I just have to post 10 times to see the goodies" mentality and actually force them to learn to post for more than just an increase in post count.

packrat

Are B.u.S. and I the only ones who think these ideas needs some thought?   :crying:

FallenStar

Quote from: packrat on October 10, 2008, 04:06:39 PM
Are B.u.S. and I the only ones who think these ideas needs some thought?   :crying:

Yes, yes you are.  :lol:

No, but seriously, *I* don't even post *every* day so if I'm going to be fair about the whole thing, I'd have to follow the same rules and... I don't wannaaaaaaaa!  :hang:

ghost sherlock

i don't want to have to post every day either. sometimes i will come and post a whole lot in one day and then the next day, not post at all. that rule is a little too strict.
(violence + randomness = a happy me)

packrat

*rant *rant If you think it's to strict then extend fucking the deadline!!! *rant *rant

But seriously, we've got too many people who will post 10 times and then never post again giving us more leechers than members.  If you don't like the daily post thing, extend the deadline.  Make it 3-4 days or something like that.  If nothing else, we should delete all the one-word post and filler post that are clogging up the forum and be less forgiving of spam.

This is all I've got, so if any of you have any bright ideas, please share them.... :45:

Serika

Quote from: packratThis is all I've got, so if any of you have any bright ideas, please share them.... :45:
I sometimes wonder about making a fake gallery for leechers. A folder with just 1 poor image that can be viewed with a post count of 0 through 9. That way nobody signs up and posts just to see the gallery because they think it sucks. Then at post 10 the gallery link takes them to the real gallery.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

packrat

....i dunno, that migh piss people off and deter them from posting.

Then gain, it's easier to enforce than my ideas.  (and will probably be more liked)

FallenStar

Quote from: B.u.S. on October 14, 2008, 07:08:18 AM
Speaking of Image folders - Star, are you going to delete the old folders that are empty now? :P

I was waiting for you to let me know you were finished moving everything.  =P

Secondly, I have a firm belief that if you are not able to post once at least every 10 days, you do *not* have enough time to be a member here.  That doesn't mean you have to post 10 times every 10 days, though.

Third, I don't much like the idea of "fooling" people with fake galleries, but if all the staff is agreed, I'll pass on the suggestion to the tech admins Duce and Doom_Guard and see what they have to say about it.

Serika

Quote from: StarThird, I don't much like the idea of "fooling" people with fake galleries, but if all the staff is agreed, I'll pass on the suggestion to the tech admins Duce and Doom_Guard and see what they have to say about it.
It's something i might do, but it doesn't encourage lurkers to become active members like packrat wants, it just kills their motivation for spamming the forum. Let's keep this topic open until a few more suggestions come in. :)
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

oramisho

I've been kinda busy with other forums and such so I haven't been able to post a lot or even come here often. While making a required post every week sounds god, It might just encorage leechers to make one short spam post once a week and that's it. I don't see it solving the problem with leechers IMO.

packrat

Quote from: oramisho on October 19, 2008, 07:27:43 PM
While making a required post every week sounds god, It might just encorage leechers to make one short spam post once a week and that's it. I don't see it solving the problem with leechers IMO.

>_> true, but what else can we do? 

oramisho

While maybe a little unfair to some new members I think raising the posting requirement to see the gallery much higher would be better. Raising it to like oh say....30 posts. Having to make that many actually requires to put some effort to post in the forum and be part of the community.Anyonewho tries spamming for 30 posts just to see the pics is likely to get modded pretty quick.

Also, with a higher post requirement you'll be less likely to find members who join soley just to leech. (hopefully)

packrat

That sounds good. 

What do you guys think, should we go with oramisho's idea?

FallenStar

The higher the requirements, the more the spam.

People come to see hentai on sites such as this and they don't often stick around to talk.  If you guys want it as such, I'll tell Duce, but I'm warning you now, your job as moderator is going to get a lot more time-consuming if we do that.  :S

lurker

I'm kind of torn on this....I can understand the desire to enforce such a requirement since a lot of people just want freebies...but I know there are some people who can't comment daily...I'm in college and working so there are days where I'm just exhausted...not only that but then certain aspects of the site could turn into an obligation (people posting just because they think they have too rather than because the section interests them)....I would hate to see something like that kill the site.  Is it me?