News:

New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

California judge overturns state ban on same sex marriage.

Started by Mighty Oracle, August 05, 2010, 01:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Oracle

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

I'm particularly happy with this arrangement. Any thoughts?

Serika

I'm VERY happy with it. We don't have enough judges like this one that stand up and say that anti-gay laws are just as unconstitutional as laws against any minority groups.

The marriage ban served no purpose at all, other than to lash out unjustly at gays.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

JackO

Quote from: Mighty Oracle on August 05, 2010, 01:05:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/california.same.sex.ruling/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

I'm particularly happen with this arrangement. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty happen too.  :lol:

But on a serious note, yeah its a victory for equal rights for everyone, regardless of things they cannot help, and a start to changing laws that are biased towards people for no reason.

FallenStar

Somehow, I get the feeling Oracle would want to move to California after this.   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

NotPeepingTom

Watch this go Supreme Court. Those homophobes don't know when to quit. I'm happy for the gays, but sad at the eventual whining that will ensue.

Serika

Quote from: NotPeepingTom on August 05, 2010, 01:49:45 PM
Watch this go Supreme Court. Those homophobes don't know when to quit.
Yes, this is likely to happen. We could even bet money on it.

It's sad that certain groups will go to so much trouble and spend so much money (lawyer fees) just because they dislike the gay population that much. I wouldn't even go through that much trouble to persecute people that talk on cellphones during movies.

FallenStar

You think *this* is stupid, you oughta read about how the F.B.I. is suing Wikipedia because the F.B.I. seal is used on a Wikipedia article about the F.B.I. -  the FBI claims that Wikipedia doesn't have the legal right to use the seal despite the fact that Encylopedia Britannia and any other encylopedia doesn't have to pay for those rights.

At least homophobes have a religious basis for hating gays. Stupid, yes, but religious. The FBI, on the other hand, is just the U.S. Government firing back at Wikileaks because of the recent leak of "classified" documents which shows the Government is fucking up the Wars the U.S. is currently involved in.   :lol:

Welp... I'm fucked...

NotPeepingTom

Quote from: FallenStar on August 05, 2010, 02:26:03 PM
At least homophobes have a religious basis for hating gays. Stupid, yes, but religious.

Eh. I can't remember off the top of my head but there were parts in the Bible that included smiting/stoning people for various reasons. I can guarantee that if people followed the Bible to a T the population would drastically drop due to reasons not involving being gay. I'm stopping here for I don't want this thread to suddenly turn into a religious debate.

FallenStar

As I recall, Sodom (and that G named city that I can't spell) were destroyed by God's meteors because they practiced sex and orgies of types that God didn't like (sodomy being one of them, obviously), but to be honest... I can't believe that if you are gay and you truly love your partner and aren't just someone hopping into bed for random sex, that you are evil in the eyes of God.

I just can't believe that.
Welp... I'm fucked...

Yog-Sothoth

well, if Sodom was destroyed because of the gays, Then it's simple. Just wait for California to be destroyed by meteors. If it gets destroyed, well, I guess they were right about gays. If it doesn't, then all that gets wasted is a little bit of time watching. The homophobes are being entirely overcomplicated about the whole thing.
QuoteChuck Wurley: Finally, do you have any advice for our readers?

Jack Terricloth: "Yeah, sure. Try to be pleasant to each other, get out of the house in the evening, make time to read a good book now and then, depose your government when it suspends the free press, remember having fun is better for you than having money, oh and employ diplomatic means wherever possible to avoid violence." Rule number one of the cosmos is that "unlikely things do happen". Cheers, and thanks!

FallenStar

That's kinda the whole point, though, isn't it? Overzealous religious people who live in California don't want to put themselves at risk just because their neighbors are gay, so they want to ban all gay marriage to save their own skins.   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

I think there's a more important question in religious debate than what the bible actually says. That is... Do you really want to worship a god that would kill off entire cities just because the wrong people are shagging each other?

In this case, homophobes (the religious ones) believe god would commit such senseless violence for such an insignificant reason, and yet worship him anyway. This gives us a good look into their own personalities.

FallenStar

If I'm not much mistaken, God also abandoned Moses as his prophet just because Moses happened to have a slip of the tongue at the wrong moment.

For a deity who seems to think he is just and forgiving, he sure as hell didn't forgive Moses now did he?  xP

Welp... I'm fucked...

NotPeepingTom

Well I'm glad the forum didn't devolve into a religious debate  :censored: storm.

I believe the silliest problem here is that trying to explain inconsistencies with cold hard logic doesn't work, but explaining the inconsistencies the spiritual way makes sense. I believe in God as much as a normal person would, but the bible just has too many things that make no sense if you read the whole book and apply common sense. Combine that with people who both greatly misinterpret parts of the bible and haven't read the whole bible makes for one heck of a mess.

Flyper

Quote from: Yog-Sothoth on August 05, 2010, 05:37:55 PM
well, if Sodom was destroyed because of the gays, Then it's simple. Just wait for California to be destroyed by meteors. If it gets destroyed, well, I guess they were right about gays. If it doesn't, then all that gets wasted is a little bit of time watching. The homophobes are being entirely overcomplicated about the whole thing.
Nah, it just means that California was in the path of some meteors. If meteors happened to target other parts of the U.S. that allow gays to have basic civil rights (somehow, the meteors will have to strike New England without Rhode Island or Maine getting hit) and any other jurisdictions around the world that aren't stuck in the 19th century as well, on the other hand, then I would convert to an Abrahamic religion myself.  :lol:

I don't care about people believing what they want to believe, but there's no denying that opposition to gay marriage is almost entirely religious in nature. I have actually seen a homophobic atheist or two on the Internet, but their so-called logic was based on gems such as "I don't want gays asking me out" and "It's not natural" (a statement which is easily debunked by showing examples of homosexuality among non-human animals). The basic point is that I haven't seen any logical reason why gays in particular should be denied marriage. Banning all marriage, on the other hand... http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/11/20/texans-ban-all-marriage/ :icon_twisted: