New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Karma Disabled

Started by FallenStar, January 17, 2010, 07:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

Due to the number of complaints about getting negative Karma and because it doesn't do anything at all, I have finally found how to disable the stupid thing and have done so. There will be no more usage of Karma and I must insist that nobody ever post another complaint about it again.  =|

Welp... I'm fucked...

Newp

WHAT! 9000!?!?!

Seriously, though, people were complaining about Karma? Watch you get complaints that you took it away, now  :icon_twisted:

tenck5k

I approve, long live the death of Karma!
Not that my approval means much, but...meh.

|\/|
</ ̄ ̄丶
__彡ノメノノレリ〉
\ルリ゚ヮ゚ノリ
><(つiつ
∠_く//」」             Br⑨s Unite!
STILL The STRONGEST Ex-Lurker!

JackO

*goes to give Star +1 Karma for disabling Karma*

Its finally....hitting home...karma is gone forever :crying:

Good Riddance  :lol:

Iku Nagae

Good riddance. And for the people who complained about it, shame on you.

Taiki

Well, I fought hard the first time this issue was brought up, to keep karma on here. But with my only ally gone, I knew it was only a matter of time until the issue returned and that victory would be overruled. I've been dreading this day since Maid was banned, but that's given me more than enough time to mentally prepare for it. After all, it was only a silly point system. That first debate, we had won that battle. But even back then, I was pessimistic that we could win the whole war. And it looks like that pessimism paid off. It mentally prepared me for this inevitable day.

I would have suggested merely promoting proper use of the karma system and instruction on fair point giving and receiving, but oh well. Truth be told, I was expecting this day to come about sooner than it did, and I'm surprised the system existed so long.

"Oh well" says me! Goodbye Karma system. It's not like I received any points recently anyway, and it's not like they were useful for anything. Just a feel-good aid for some, but not for all. I guess I can see why you'd want it gone.

So I say it again. Oh well.

TiaMaria

Oh no! My utterly worthless points are gone!

Ah well. I kind of liked it but it's not like it's a big deal.

reseph

It's for the better. The Steam forums use only positive karma to avoid this problem.

JackO

Quote from: reseph on January 20, 2010, 06:28:44 PM
It's for the better. The Steam forums use only positive karma to avoid this problem.

The problem was never really about negative karma. Even if we only had positive Karma, people wouldn't know what they were doing right, to get the positive karma, and people could even give it for no reason. Also, if people who were doing good things, weren't getting karma, they'd think they were doing something wrong.

Even only using positive Karma is pretty useless, and now karma is disabled, we'll just have to say well done to people in threads, and if we have a serious problem with what they're doing, PM them. This way at least people know what they're doing right or wrong, and personally I'd prefer someone to say well done in writing than give me a 'good point' or whatever.

Serika

The karma counter was a bad idea from the start, mainly because you could only have a vague idea at best of how you got your points. Maybe a post rating system like what Youtube uses for it's comments would have worked. At least that way you would know how you pissed someone off. Example...

Poster: "O yeah? Well ur mom!"
(Thumbs up = 0) (Thumbs down = 37)
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

FallenStar

Quote from: Serika on January 21, 2010, 11:01:42 AM
The karma counter was a bad idea from the start, mainly because you could only have a vague idea at best of how you got your points. Maybe a post rating system like what Youtube uses for it's comments would have worked. At least that way you would know how you pissed someone off. Example...

Poster: "O yeah? Well ur mom!"
(Thumbs up = 0) (Thumbs down = 37)

I've tried to explain this to people for months and they just don't get it. Maybe now, with your explanation, Serika, people will finally understand.

And Chang, stop bringing up old history, will you? If you have a problem with my decisions, tell me in private, okay? Do *not* do what you've just done here again or I'll strip your banhammer from you and give it to someone else.

Welp... I'm fucked...

Taiki

Star, I'm not trying to make you look bad. I made several conclusions in my initial post as to why you made the right decision. In no way was I trying to say that I had a problem with it. I was merely remarking on the fact that it had finally happened. But after this awkward moment, I could go for a private conversation of another nature. Not a hostile or aggressive one, just something on private mod matters.

FallenStar

All I ask, Chang, is that you not word things in the manner that you did. As long as you understand that much, there is no harm and no foul.
Welp... I'm fucked...

oramisho

the karma system on a board went to showed which posts recived the karma and how much. this unfortuantely led to an effect where one person would mark a post frop bad karma and a million people would follow suit just because someoen else marked it . it was comon for a single post to give someone either +10 or -11 karma, and i had never seen a single post that recived karma get less then 3.

karma systems down work period, or rating systems for that matter.