New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Stereotypes

Started by OnlySupers, January 29, 2010, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnlySupers

Hey net.  I was just thinking.  Why are stereotypes so prevalent in our culture?  While we pride ourselves on breaking down barriers, we tend to go back to certain character archetypes in our fiction.  In particular, we shall focus on the stereotypes about Russians that crop up.  Back in Cold War times, we had a tendency to depict Russian males as tall, dark, and evil, and females as... well, tall, dark, and evil.  Russian characters were conniving, and often intelligent, but always tended to use this for destructive means.  Forget about names and titles, if had dealings with one of these characters, you were always referred to as "Comrade" or "Dahling".  Invariably blindly devoted to communist ideology, unless they were going to be redeemed by the end of the story (which led to Americanization).  And there was so much vodka flowing that it was a wonder that anyone got anything done.  Now, all of this is well and good, because at the time, we were in the middle of a huge pissing contest, and we wanted to see them as assholes.  However, people still go back to this when they make Russian characters.  Sure, it's often complete hacks doing this, but it's still prevalent enough to get me going.  What do you think?

PS, I will add more to this regarding additional stereotypes.

FallenStar

I don't know about you, but my "Soviet" stereotypical character, Tanya, is neither dark nor evil; nor is she simply to be "Americanized" at the end of the RP I am trying to do both in IM with some people and on the forum with Scoozums.  She is messed up inside, yes; being a sub who was forced to become a dom against her wishes can really mess a girl up inside, but she is not inherently evil or dark.

As for myself, I neither think the Soviets nor the Russian people as a whole are inherently evil, dark, tall, or in any other need of Americanization. As a matter of fact, I despise Americanization and I applaud those people who resist this idea to their very bones.

I also think *some* brands of communism, if mixed with some elements of capitalism ought to work great in a new form of government. We Americans pride ourselves on being free - yet, when you give people too much freedom, they tend to take it too far. On the other hand, if you take too much control, like communism, then you squash the main populace so far down that eventually they will rise up and overthrow you.

Quote from: Mr. MiyagiBalance is key; Balance good, everything good. Balance bad: better pack and go home.

Quote from: Monterey JackEverything in moderation!
Welp... I'm fucked...

redeker

Huh, never thought of it like that before... Well, while the US is the great "melting pot" of the world, that doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist to some point. The US isn't really the "free" country it proclaims itself to be. Historically, when compared relatively alongside the rest of the world, the US was fairly late in granting political and civil liberties to minorities. I guess stereotypes are just leftover remnants of the then dominant WASP attitude towards immigrants (no offense), picked up by later generations of Americans.   

Edit: As for the Russian stereotypes, yeah, it's predominantly the Cold War stereotype. A lot of today's media, such as books, movies and video games like to hypothesize about what our former enemies have been up to since the collapse in 1991, not to mention the politicians who have been in office since the Cold War. And then, of course, we have my generation, which grew up under the Cold War generation...

Interesting note, I've heard that my father worked for the USSR back in the day, even had a few run-ins with the KGB. Of course, I can't really confirm this, but he was a pretty shady guy.
All the crazy monkeys
are playing a game that will never end,
caught up in a never-ending "Banana Roulette."

FallenStar

Quote from: redeker on January 29, 2010, 02:42:22 PM
Huh, never thought of it like that before... Well, while the US is the great "melting pot" of the world, that doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist to some point. The US isn't really the "free" country it proclaims itself to be. Historically, when compared relatively alongside the rest of the world, the US was fairly late in granting political and civil liberties to minorities. I guess stereotypes are just leftover remnants of the then dominant WASP attitude towards immigrants (no offense), picked up by later generations of Americans.

From what I've seen and read, American leaders used immigrants as scape goats to divert their own failings, much like Hitler used the Jews, only the Americans never actually slaughtered six million of them.   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

redeker

Quote from: FallenStar on January 29, 2010, 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: redeker on January 29, 2010, 02:42:22 PM

From what I've seen and read, American leaders used immigrants as scape goats to divert their own failings, much like Hitler used the Jews, only the Americans never actually slaughtered six million of them.   :lol:

I guess it was hard enough trying to commit genocide against the Native Americans. Also, as much as those native-born USAians hated immigrants, they needed them for industrialization. 
All the crazy monkeys

FallenStar

They actually started out on Native Americans but after "The West was Won", they found themselves with no other scapegoats, so they turned against the immigrants. 

Funny how that works, huh?   :lol:
Welp... I'm fucked...

OnlySupers

Okay, wow, this got out of hand fast.  Well, first of all, I was in a rush making the initial message, and may have misrepresented my intent.  This was actually meant to be a complaint about a lack of originality on the part of hack writers.  As a result, my second example will be that of the Cheerleader.  You all know her.  She's got spunk, pep, and a mean streak a mile wide.  She may be super competitive, or she may be more interest in drama.  She's almost always blonde, and flanked by her two BFFS.  She may be a slut, or she may be frigid.  And every guy wants her, except the free-thinking "artist".  And I am sick of her.  Anyway, you get the point, sorry about the misunderstanding.

FallenStar

One reason why my cheerleader character is actually the quiet, shy, demure type with short black hair instead of blonde. I hate those kinds of stereotypes, honestly.
Welp... I'm fucked...

JackO

Does this mean that I can't be the free thinking "artist"? D=

My life is a lie  :crying:

redeker

Quote from: OnlySupers on January 29, 2010, 03:48:46 PM
Okay, wow, this got out of hand fast.  Well, first of all, I was in a rush making the initial message, and may have misrepresented my intent.  This was actually meant to be a complaint about a lack of originality on the part of hack writers.  As a result, my second example will be that of the Cheerleader.  You all know her.  She's got spunk, pep, and a mean streak a mile wide.  She may be super competitive, or she may be more interest in drama.  She's almost always blonde, and flanked by her two BFFS.  She may be a slut, or she may be frigid.  And every guy wants her, except the free-thinking "artist".  And I am sick of her.  Anyway, you get the point, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I don't have cheerleader stereotype at my school, Tbh, but I speculate that such people are out for attention. Some are the products of parents who push their children to achieve at an early age, signing them up for multiple activities, such as sports, music lessons, etc. Others are affected by peer pressure, particularly by their girlfriends and/or boyfriends. And I think a few have cases of hyperactivity.   

In any case, it's mostly a social thing.
All the crazy monkeys

OnlySupers

Which reminds me...  The "Quiet Girl".  You know her.  Well, not really.  She sits behind you in 3rd period math, or maybe 5th period English.  She doesn't really know how to tell you this, but she has a crush on you.   She's shy, and likes to read, play video games, and all that.  Unless she doesn't, and she's into "girly" interests.  She's not considered very attractive though, because her low self esteem prevents her from being so.  Of course, a good makeover will turn her from geek to chic!  She'll be a regular hot tamale!  But not until a friendship with "That Nice Guy with a Bitch for a Girlfriend" (who might actually be a girl), makes her realize she IS worthwhile!  In the end, she gives up persuing "that asshole who tries to make it with you in his car", and goes with the sweet one.  Unless she never liked the asshole to begin with.  From there on, she'll be a kind hearted housewife, or a teacher, or something suitably "feminine".  And I'm sick of her.

You guys try!