New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Uploads question!!

Started by knuclear200x, April 19, 2008, 12:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuclear200x

What is the upload limit for videos? I have a video i want to share but its 60MB, i guess i zould zip it but i dont know what size itll be since i havent produced it yet.

FallenStar

You would have to separate that into 4 pieces at the least - sorry, but Dreamhost themselves don't allow uploads of more than 15-20 MB for some shitty reason.  >_>;

Once you get it into 4 smaller pieces, rar/zip each one and upload them separately.

MinaMurray

Couldn't you throw it onto something like Rapidshare?  I don't know about you lot, but I prefer videos that aren't broken up into segments.

FallenStar

He could, but it wouldn't be *here* now would it? I mean, I created a video clip section here for a reason. I'd rather try to get *some* content in there.  =/

knuclear200x

u know the video downloads page is looking a little dull, so ill just throw it in there WAITAMINNIT the upload files arent supported! and i zipped it too! whats going on?!

FallenStar

Quote from: knuclear200x on April 19, 2008, 09:08:25 PM
u know the video downloads page is looking a little dull, so ill just throw it in there WAITAMINNIT the upload files arent supported! and i zipped it too! whats going on?!

I'm pretty sure it's a Dreamshit problem. I couldn't upload it either, even when zipped. I'm going to see if I can get Duce or Doom_Guard to look into it.

Clearly, there's an issue here that needs to be resolved one way or the other, but in time, we'll work it out. Just be patient is all I ask.  :)

knuclear200x

well then in the meantime ill use rapidshare, then hopefully by the time it expires the video section will have a new entry.

FallenStar

I have notified Doom_Guard and Duce and they are working on the problem. If it can be fix'd, it will.  =D

Ameboes

Dreamhost? I'm a bit doubtful that the host would put that type of limitation, especially since it's always touted as such a great host (from what I've seen).

If you ask me, since the upload script uses PHP, it would be the upload_max_filesize php.ini setting that's causing a problem. If you want to check anything about the server and PHP's configuration, use the function phpinfo(); alone, which will output a full page of information, this includes php.ini settings, including upload_max_filesize. (For security reasons, I suggest not leaving it on the server where it's publically accessable.)

If your tech admins have access to php.ini directly, they can just change upload_max_filesize to a higher value (for example, for 60 MB, 60M or 62914560 -- remember, computers count 1 KB = 1024 bytes, 1 MB = 1024 KB).

If they don't have access to it, it's possible to do so two ways:

Via .htaccess, use the line
php_value upload_max_filesize 60M

You can also use a command in a PHP script, which would require modifying the source code of an appropraite file:
ini_set('max_upload_filesize', 62914560);

Note that, for the command, you can't use shorthand like "60M"; you have to use a full integer value in BYTES.

Pass this onto the relevant people if you think it might be of help.

FallenStar

QuoteDreamhost? I'm a bit doubtful that the host would put that type of limitation, especially since it's always touted as such a great host (from what I've seen). 

Dreamhost *does* set file upload limits.

I've been made aware of it from other forums whose large sizes are allowed, but yet, un-uploadable because Dreamhost puts a cap on them.

Not to mention that here, if the bandwidth gets too bad, the host may choose to drop me since he doesn't ask for money for this free hosting.  :S

Ameboes

You're sure it's not the PHP upload_max_filesize setting?

*makes a note to look into that thoroughly if he ever considers Dreamhost for paid hosting*

EDIT: Actually, I just did a quick Google, and it is Dreamhost's default upload_max_filesize setting (according to three sources on the first page). According to one of these results, a simple .htaccess directive can be used to override the setting.

Yeah, bandwidth usage might be a problem, though. XD

EDIT2: I read too quickly, apparently the .htaccess method was causing problems for those people. If it causes stuff to break, http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP.ini this lists a procedure (somewhat advanced) for getting a copy of PHP and php.ini that you can edit.

FallenStar

I can't say what the ultimate problem is, but considering the forum type on the other forums is nothing like SMF, I'm pretty sure I *can* say that file uploads of 20 MB or higher aren't allowed by Dreamhost themselves.  :S