News:

New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

How many people here use the CCCP(combined community codec pack)?

Started by none, September 14, 2009, 07:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

none

Many Many moons ago I posted a video link:http://www.animegirldesp.org/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=120 which was converted from a .flv  format, the types of videos you see on the net from sites like youtube and nico, converted to an .avi format. But many users only heard the audio which implies that they have probably don't have the codec necessary to play back both the audio and video. Finding out which codec is needed for each type of video is a slow and painful ordeal for me to drag thought until I found the community codec pack  which is a easy to use installer for,most, codecs. Before I dive to deeply into the subject I should say that I am no master of the video formats nor do I have any experience with vista so I'll be of little help there and let me state that if your REALLY don't know anything about how installers can change your "open video files with X player" settings you may want to find a in depth tutorial. But back to the point how many people use it? If I were to upload the other three vids from the series would people have the necessary codecs to see it?

Link to CCCP you want the yellow download CCCP button.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

Also I don't want to make it seem like CCCP is the ONLY option.

VLC and other freeware vid players can handle some of the other funny video types.

VLC player link look under Binaries and click the  operating system that matches yours
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

oramisho

I always use the cccp and install it  whenever i set up a new os or anything, efficient or not it works well and helps with all the 90 thousand codecs you'd have to download otherwise. I dont think the CCCP covers everything though as i've had a video or two that dont play properly, (few and far between though)

I never use the zoom player added in the ccp, but the media player classic has had some use for files windows media player wont accept or even touch.

Maelstrom

I use the K-Lite codec pack and it works fine on my end. Only thing is, it runs with Media Player Classic, and I don't know how many people would be willing to give up their Winamp or Windows Media Player for it. Regardless, it's a great codec and runs all file types I know of.

Excellent video, by the way, one of my favorites.

TiaMaria

I personally swear by Windows Media Classic, with Storm Codecs. I've yet to find a video it can't play.

Doom_Guard

I swear by CCCP. I install it on any computer I repair / format, or whenever people are having trouble playing video. It's hands down the best codec pack I've come across.

JackO

If there's a problem with it working on Vista, couldn't you just run it in XP Service Pack 2 compatibilty mode? I have tons of old games from 98 and xp that work fine with Vista thanks to that handy tool, but I might be misunderstanding the problem here

Doom_Guard

Quote from: B.u.S. on September 15, 2009, 09:36:28 AM
Sadly my Windows Media Player has never worked, and I have Vista :S I have K-Lite and MPC is good... but not great. Any other alternatives? (And not Winamp, that works evens worse)

VLC works well.

Scoozums

Quote from: B.u.S. on September 16, 2009, 10:21:48 AM
I dislike using VLC as it doesn't like playing files when I want to skip them - same issues I have with all media players, so I blame Vista.

I've never had any trouble with VLC before and besides that whatever VLC can't play Media player can usually work with.  Then again I've never tried to use VLC on anything but the XP OS.

JackO

Realplayer should work pretty well, I have it and have never experienced any problems, I mean you do have to download patches to play some video types but they do play after you download the patch.

Either that or VLC player, i think its called, another one with all of the codecs installed.

FallenStar

I've found that with CCCP, Media Player Classic can play just about anything, including FLV files I've downloaded off of Youtube.

Undoubtedly one of the better players is VLC, since, if you watch dual audio anime, or shows that have two sets of subtitles, you can switch back and forth between them on VLC.

Welp... I'm fucked...

Newp

I have both CCCP and VLC. I have yet to find a video that one of them won't play.

I use Winamp for my normal video viewing, though.