News:

New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Downloading fictions on an apple device.

Started by Rend, December 26, 2009, 11:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rend

Before this poll is taken into consideration AT ALL. The point is to convert the fic's in the download section to PDF's for those mobile users who view this site on an itouch or iphone. Course I'm willing to do this all but I feel it is only right to ask permission to do so. If its out of the question, feel free to delete the topic.

anathema

PDF's will not render correctly on a google G1.  (I've got some e-books I've been trying to put on mine and i've been unsuccessful so far)

I think there's probably a better format to use for this, but I don't know what it is.  So i support the act, but not the chosen format.  :)
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended.
That we have but slumbered here, whilst these visions did appear.

FallenStar

I don't like PDFs nor Adobe...  I much prefer .doc format.  However, I will leave this open in case I'm misunderstanding something. 
Welp... I'm fucked...

Rend

doesn't have to be that format, i should change it a bit, but what im saying is a format thats
more friendly and available for mobile users.

FallenStar

I don't know about mobile users, but I'm too much a fan of .doc to worry about changing things around. 
Welp... I'm fucked...

Ranpalan

Doc is awful... Can contain malicious scripts, is not rendered the same by all editors... PDF is quite a bit better, but cannot be easily edited afterwards, as far as I know, and it cannot be viewed from a non-graphical terminal (again, as far as I know). I would suggest HTML - can be opened on any device, edited freely, and offers plenty of formatting options.
Always happy to get PMs/IMs

FallenStar

What about RTF?  That at least, would keep the formatting as opposed to basic .txt files and doesn't necessitate using Adobe, which I find full of crap...
Welp... I'm fucked...

anathema

well written html should be able to wrap to a devices screen right? I vote for that.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended.
That we have but slumbered here, whilst these visions did appear.

Ranpalan

Well-written HTML should wrap fine. For a story, you'll probably be using h*, p, b, i, u, maybe br, most of the time, which leads to a minimum amount of things that could go wrong.

As to RTF - why? HTML is far more human-readable and (iirc) supports quite a bit more than RTF.

EDIT: Wait, the Adobe comment isn't about HTML, right?

FallenStar

Anything that requires Adobe, in my book, is out. I really... *really* hate that program... It's worse than Java when it needs to upgrade or even load.   :S
Welp... I'm fucked...

Ranpalan

I've not seen anything suggested that would need adobe, so don't think that's relevant.