New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Driving Tests...

Started by JackO, February 14, 2011, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackO

I passed my driving test today... first time, stick shift (for you americans)... and I was wondering what tests are like in different places... like what you have to do on them... I assume some of us on the forums drive or at least know what the tests entail.

Here in Britain there's;

A theory test (before you do your practical test) and then the practical test entails;

A sight test (before you get in the car)
Show me, tell me questions (about the car, and stuff under the bonnet)
A manouvre (Turn in the road, reverse around a corner, reverse park etc.)
An Emergency Stop
Independent Driving (You're told what lefts/rights to make for the next few junctions and you have to do em)

Another strange thing about the test here... if someone crashes into you, and they're totally at fault, but you're on your test... you still fail.

Silly Brits eh?  :death:

FallenStar

Say WAAAAHHHHHT?! They don't make you parallel park in Britain?!   :death:

Of course, I wouldn't know what sort of things are actually on driving tests here; I never even got past the original written exam before learning to drive for a year. Just... never had much motivation for it, I guess. *shrug*

Welp... I'm fucked...

JackO

Well I said reverse park, which is basically parallel parking but without a car behind, because some people are terrible and they don't want to damage other's cars, but if you do it right... then you'd be able to squeeze into any space. So I can parallel park, but they don't make us try and fit into tight spaces on test, just in case we damage things...

Also fun fact: If you pass your test, your instructor HAS to drive you back from the test centre, even though you're more qualified to drive a car than when you started (and you've most likely driven there), but I think its something to do with insurance....

JackO

I think our driving test is perhaps a little longer than yours, zeroin... but that might be just due to the fact that you guys can do that pre-test thing where you take the manouvre seperately...

Other than that... my examiner was fair and pretty friendly, he wasn't all that leinient on the marking though, although I passed by a fair distance...

I dunno the systems anywhere else but here you can have up to 15 minor faults with your driving on test and still pass... although a major fault will result in you failing the test.

Overall I just though that I drove pretty decently and after the driving was up and he was staring at the form before telling me whether I'd passed, i thought to myself that I probably had... as I didn't think I'd done all too much wrong.

Neil

In Malaysia, we have:
theory test
sight test
A manouvre test ( handling slope, side & reverse parking, etc.)

After that is the road test, where you have to drive through a specific route.

My friend failed the test as soon as he started driving, because he forgot to wear the seatbelt. :lol:
The world of Musubi is the ideal world for me. I get to do what I want, and that includes making girls desperate whenever I want.

JackO

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2011, 09:26:44 AM
In Malaysia, we have:
theory test
sight test
A manouvre test ( handling slope, side & reverse parking, etc.)

After that is the road test, where you have to drive through a specific route.

My friend failed the test as soon as he started driving, because he forgot to wear the seatbelt. :lol:

If the driving conditions in Malaysia are anything similar to those in India, I feel for you... as when I visited India... the driving conditions were... terrifying to say the least xD

JackO

Quote from: Chang Coldrum on March 16, 2011, 04:48:55 PM
Something like this be accurate? The video description reads, "The rules are quite different there.", but I don't think there ARE any.

Yeah, looks accurate enough, although I have to say, its a lot calmer to watch than it is to experience first hand inside one of the cars, you'll note that everyone goes when they want to, beeps their horn when they're going to overtake anything (or just randomly... I can't tell) and just generally avoids crashing into anything for themselves... It really is surprising that there's not more accidents over there... but I guess the system works.

Neil

Well, we're not as terrible as the Indian drivers. At least we follow the traffic rules, unlike in that video. However, we tend to get distracted a lot, usually by using cellphones while driving. But it's still better than India.
The world of Musubi is the ideal world for me. I get to do what I want, and that includes making girls desperate whenever I want.

Neil

Quote from: Chang Coldrum on March 16, 2011, 04:48:55 PM
Something like this be accurate? The video description reads, "The rules are quite different there.", but I don't think there ARE any.

Btw, I just found out how easy driving tests are in India.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0&feature=fvwrel