New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

How the hell are they going to enforce this law? O_o;

Started by FallenStar, June 12, 2012, 02:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/12/massachusetts-town-puts-20-fine-on-profanity/?hpt=hp_t3

Apparently you can't swear and curse in this town without being fined 20 dollars and only the police can determine what is and isn't profanity.  <_<;

Seriously, is the world so out of far more important crimes to investigate and deal with that they have to go and harass people who do nothing more than curse? This sounds like a ridiculous hyper-restrictive Catholic inspired decision... Not the sort of thing we need in the modern world. =_=

Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

233 out of 22,000 residents showed up to vote. It's nice to see people care about their freedom of speech so much that they would miss an episode of [boring TV show] or show up at the tavern a little late just to oppose a blatantly unconstitutional law or two. With this kind of amazing turnout, surely someone will take the time to challenge this law in court. -_-

Quote"It's not going to be just someone walking down the street dropping the F-bomb; it's going to be when you're actually making it uncomfortable for everyone else,"

Your freedom of speech ends where my ear begins, eh?
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

MKFan200

Quote from: FallenStar on June 12, 2012, 02:15:14 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/12/massachusetts-town-puts-20-fine-on-profanity/?hpt=hp_t3

Apparently you can't swear and curse in this town without being fined 20 dollars and only the police can determine what is and isn't profanity.  <_<;

Seriously, is the world so out of far more important crimes to investigate and deal with that they have to go and harass people who do nothing more than curse? This sounds like a ridiculous hyper-restrictive Catholic inspired decision... Not the sort of thing we need in the modern world. =_=
I'd like to see some proof of your claim of where you think religion is tied into this.

FallenStar

Very atheists and agnostics care whether or not someone curses around them. On the other hand, many different religions tend to frown on excessive cursing and swearing. That alone suggests more of a religious influence than anything else. Plus, take a look at where the law is being enforced - New England. If there's any part of the U.S. that is overly religious outside of Salt Lake City, it is in the northeast.

There's a lot of evidence that suggests this is religiously motivated.
Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

Quote from: Taiki on July 05, 2012, 04:34:16 AM
183 people voted to fine free speech? That's 183 people who ought to be deported.
I share that sentiment, but you know what's REALLY ironic? Voting in favor of punishing free speech is protected by the freedom of speech. These people are attacking the very right that would stop you from deporting them for it.

It reminds me of the commercial for The Smoking Gun Presents World's Dumbest, the one where a guy sits on the end of a plank and cuts through it with a saw. Those 183 people are going to regret their decision as soon as they get their first tickets.

QuoteOh, hi everybody, I'm back. Kind of an interesting entrance I made.

Welcome back dude. :)
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Linkx

When I was in Ok city two summers ago I think for a big concert you can't curse on stage in public events without being fined. One of the bands on the side stages said F that literally and cussed up a storm. Don't remember which band but the singer ended up being arrested and the city fined the band 30k
"It's the land of the 24 hour party, my fist wrapped firmly around a fifth of bacardi. On the sunset strip's where the orphans play tonight."