Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Stopping kids from driving too fast and listening to explicit radio

Started by FallenStar, December 29, 2010, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

According to this article:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/technology/ford_radio_controls/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

Ford has made strides that allow parents to be parents even when their kids are on the road by themselves.

Sounds interesting, a step toward self-driving cars, and yet, partially frightening in the amount of control one can have over *any* driver, if said technology were misused.

Also, I'd like to register my confusion and astonishment that cars are built to go over 80 MPH by design, even though generally speaking the highest the highway patrol will allow a driver to go is around 75 MPH. If the law states that you're never supposed to go higher than that amount of speed, why are cars built for the road that can go up to 125 MPH?  O_o;

I could understand it if it was a police car, but a station wagon or a jeep or an SUV that can go that fast seems really messed up if you ask me. <_<;

Welp... I'm fucked...

Serika

Quote from: FallenStar on December 29, 2010, 02:34:12 PM
Partially frightening in the amount of control one can have over *any* driver, if said technology were misused.
I think it would be pretty hard for other drivers to hack into your system and run you off the road. The police may be able to use it when they want you to pull over... but it shouldn't be too hard to buy a car without this or at least ask a mechanic to remove it for you.

QuoteIf the law states that you're never supposed to go higher than that amount of speed, why are cars built for the road that can go up to 125 MPH?  O_o;
Maybe cars have all the extra speed in case there is an emergency, and you are trusted and expected to not go that fast unless it's an emergency. Too bad there will always be dipshits that go as fast as they can because they think it makes them look cool. They will look REALLY cool as red stains on the pavement. :p

Quoteand alerts the driver at 45, 55, and 65 mph.
Now this might be helpful in saving you a ticket. If you're not paying attention and a voice comes on saying "You are now driving at 55 MPH".

QuoteMyKey technology currently also gives parents the ability to mute the radio until passengers up front buckle up.
What's going to stop someone from just sitting on the buckled belt without actually wearing it?
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

oramisho

FallenStar

Quote from: oramisho on December 29, 2010, 07:18:26 PM
In some countries there are actual roads without speed limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

Yes, Oramisho; I'm well aware of the Autobahn. I was not speaking about any other country but this one, evidenced by my usages of MPH and not the European KPH.  :P

Welp... I'm fucked...

Linkx

Most sports cars already have an electronic limiter that keeps their speeds down, it's been like that for years. I dislike the computerization of cars but I'm a car guy, granted certain things computers just do better on cars, like efi over carbs, timing advance/retard all these electronic gizmos and safety bs just bloat cars adding unnecessary weight. People piss and moan about how low their mpg is yet want every gizmo and option on the planet in their car.

I've got a 1987 Porsche 944S (which is actually taken apart in my garage, just waiting for my intake manifold to be powder-coated before I put it all back together) and it's such a blast to drive, everything is analog connected with actual cables not silly computer programs and a proper manual transmission I can't wait to get it back on the road.

Speed doesn't kill, reckless driving does. I suppose it's a neat idea but I think it's garbage although if I was a father I could see having a different perspective.
"It's the land of the 24 hour party, my fist wrapped firmly around a fifth of bacardi. On the sunset strip's where the orphans play tonight."