New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Yet another original work from me

Started by FallenStar, September 27, 2010, 09:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenStar

I wrote this about a day after my last work but it's taken me until now to proofread, edit, and get certain permissions from others so I could post this.

"In the future of the  Ap Dat world, a certain Queen begins to realize just how much she misses her friends or family of long ago... but little does she suspect one of those friends and family might just be paying her a surprise visit."

Tags/Warnings: Newhalf/Shemale, Lolicon, Female Desperation, Female Wetting, Female Humiliation, Kidnap, Female Ejaculation

If you actually bother to read this story, I must insist that you review it; if you refuse to read it on the grounds that it's in a .doc file, well then "the hell witcha"  =P

Welp... I'm fucked...

Archane Variant

Is it really so hard to copy the text into a post? I only ask cause some of us are twitchy about opening .doc's. For good reason too. Word has a document recovery feature, and computers have a nasty tendency to cache things which they're not supposed to.

FallenStar

Quote from: Archane Variant on November 06, 2010, 07:56:07 AM
Is it really so hard to copy the text into a post? I only ask cause some of us are twitchy about opening .doc's. For good reason too. Word has a document recovery feature, and computers have a nasty tendency to cache things which they're not supposed to.

I hardly think that Word's document recovery feature would ever give you a problem with caches or things like that; not unless you're having a computer crash *while* you are reading the document.  <_<;

I have a few reasons why I prefer not to post stories within posts:

1.) you lose all the formatting and thus, have to go back through the ENTIRE work to fix said formatting, essentially rewriting the whole damn thing; this gets rather annoying and time consuming when you have a story that is 7 to 20 pages in length.

2.) it stretches the post, and thus, the whole page the post is on - something that looks entirely unneat

3.) Uploading stories into posts completely ruins the hard work Duce and I put into making files uploadable onto the forum itself. Now this might not mean a damn thing to anyone else, but I find it incredibly insulting and annoying when I take steps to accomplish a goal that no one ever uses.  :censored:

If people are so damn scared of .doc file format even despite the fact that I (as an example) have used the damn thing for several years with absolutely NO problems at all - not to mention that I am pretty damn close to being computer illiterate, then I will take two steps:

1.) I will warn and delete any topic that has a story in the post
AND
2.) refer all people to post their works on Nyou Fiction, which uses a different non .doc file format.  I refuse to continue using a system that apparently no one likes nor will I "cave" to pressure and have everyone using a system *I* don't like.

And if I get one more post on this particular topic about the file format and NOT the fic itself, I am going to be *seriously* pissed off.  =|

Welp... I'm fucked...

packrat

Chill out Star, not eveyone is going to agree with the system you've put up.  It's a fact of life, there will always be someone who just doesn't want to follow the system.  If you get pissed at them for not liking the system you've put up, you'll just be wasting your energy.  If you like the system, then just ignore them and run things the same way you always have.  Besides, the fact that not everyone uploads their story in the same format as you doesn't mean they don't like the system.  It just means that they prefer to post it insead.  There's nothing wrong with that.

And as for Variant's post, cut him some slack. He's new, and he's extremely paranoid.  He's probably afraid that downloading this stuff to his computer will let other people find out about his fetish.  While I do admit that Variant's post was out of line, it'd be better to just send him a warning or something.  Penalizing the rest of the forum for one person being...ridiculous...would do more harm than good, in my opinion.

FallenStar

Were it only one or two people, packrat, I would ignore them. When it is every friggin' poster who posts their stories in their posts and those uploaded via file attachments end up with few or no reviews and many complaints, then obviously something is wrong with the system itself.

Hence, my desire to change the system to something people are going to want to use.

Whilst I may have been a bit angry, there is a reason for it. When someone works as hard as they have to implement a system only to be told time and time again that said system doesn't work - (and what makes it worse is knowing said system works in other places) - then they will react with greater anger and frustration than someone who hasn't put their time and effort into things.

Therefore, I would rather you back off, first, packrat and allow me to talk to Duce to see if we can't put up a different system instead that will make it easier for *all* concerned and not just me or those one or two people who refuse to use .doc file formats.

Welp... I'm fucked...

anime lover

if you want to prevent people from copy/pasting their stories into their post, just lower the word count on posts.
If it's possible to make separate boards have a separate word count limit, then it wouldn't effect the RP boards.

You could make the fan-fiction boards word could really low to annoy and turn people back from posting their stories in their posts.

Something like 250 or 300 should be appropriate

Total Projects: 434
Latest Project: The Geelien's 5-4
Current Project: NONE

FallenStar

Maybe... but not yet... I have to speak with Duce and see if there's a better way to upload fics without it being in a post or in a file attachment like .doc.

Welp... I'm fucked...

anime lover

then what about using google docs?
it would be usable by anyone with an internet connection and you can keep any formatting that the story has, PLUS, you can share the fic much more easily as you would just need to post the link to the fic

Total Projects: 434
Latest Project: The Geelien's 5-4
Current Project: NONE

FallenStar

As I told you before, I never got Google Docs to work properly for me. I'm not sure why it didn't work, but I'd still rather find a way to be able to upload files to a forum without it necessarily being .doc or something people are going to dislike.

If I could manage it, I'd prefer a system like Duce has for Nyou Fiction; wherein, you end up opening like an extra tab and you can easily clear your cache out through your normal browser to keep people from finding out about it or something.

Welp... I'm fucked...

Archane Variant

I apologize profusely. I was unaware that this was a hot button issue on this site.

Let me just say, that I am also a fan author - and I have written several 10000 word+ stories (though not omorashi), so I can understand the frustrations of readers not commenting. For example, one of my stories was 15 chapters long and has been read more than 4000 times - but only 29 people have taken the time to comment.

Kenichi123

Quote from: FallenStar on November 06, 2010, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Archane Variant on November 06, 2010, 07:56:07 AM

I hardly think that Word's document recovery feature would ever give you a problem with caches or things like that; not unless you're having a computer crash *while* you are reading the document.  <_<;

I have a few reasons why I prefer not to post stories within posts:

1.) you lose all the formatting and thus, have to go back through the ENTIRE work to fix said formatting, essentially rewriting the whole damn thing; this gets rather annoying and time consuming when you have a story that is 7 to 20 pages in length.

2.) it stretches the post, and thus, the whole page the post is on - something that looks entirely unneat

3.) Uploading stories into posts completely ruins the hard work Duce and I put into making files uploadable onto the forum itself. Now this might not mean a damn thing to anyone else, but I find it incredibly insulting and annoying when I take steps to accomplish a goal that no one ever uses.  :censored:

If people are so damn scared of .doc file format even despite the fact that I (as an example) have used the damn thing for several years with absolutely NO problems at all - not to mention that I am pretty damn close to being computer illiterate, then I will take two steps:

1.) I will warn and delete any topic that has a story in the post
AND
2.) refer all people to post their works on Nyou Fiction, which uses a different non .doc file format.  I refuse to continue using a system that apparently no one likes nor will I "cave" to pressure and have everyone using a system *I* don't like.

And if I get one more post on this particular topic about the file format and NOT the fic itself, I am going to be *seriously* pissed off.  =|

I'll have to keep this in mind when I'm making my next story...... I really don't want to be thrown out a window.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't take whatever I said seriously, Unless it has to do with anything I do-er-we-as-sh-... yeah. Just read what I wrote :(

oramisho

You know, people who don't wanna use word for fear of evidence, can just set thier computers to open it with windows' built in wordpad program, which is basically notepad but able to accecpt and do minor formatting.(it can read doc files)