New Board created - Goofy Pic Posting. Go populate it and stuff.  :P

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

My first Story

Started by aptom203, June 01, 2008, 06:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aptom203

My first Fanfic ^^ I uploaded it to the downloads section, it's a Naruto-based one recounting the academy years of the three 'rookie' girls. Let me know what you guys think.
"...but her bladder would broker no delay..."

Sipplewat

The story is good, but the writing is odd. Don't tell us what the girls are thinking, have them think it.

aptom203

I don't like 'thought as text' I actually find it confusing, and would rather clearly differentiate by refering to it in third person rather than have them internally vocalize.

Sipplewat

Well you can do that but the way you write seems very unusual and odd.

anathema

Bravo! Great first story.  :clap:  I want to see many more from you.

I think you did fine with detailing thoughts.  I had to go back and re-read the story to even see what sipplewat meant. It's just a style of writing, both ways are perfectly valid in my uneducated opinion. I think theres something missing from the way you describe thoughts, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm sure once you develop a voice as a writer any awkwardness in your prose will go away on it's own.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended.
That we have but slumbered here, whilst these visions did appear.

aptom203

Heh, I don't mind the review, I got straight A+'s in English at High School, and I've been RPing for 11 years now, so I must be doing something right ;) Just, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Serika

Agreed with anathema. Neither style is "wrong".

I use thought as text so i can have characters think in their own dialect. Bad grammer, slang, and other such things wouldn't work in third person so i sometimes find it easier if the character makes the point and not me.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Sipplewat

That's kind of my point, it fleshes out the characters in a way describing thoughts doesn't.

ckhs15

Wow. That story is awesome! You can improve on the writing style a little bit, but it's pretty good to be your first story. Keep up the good work!