Author Topic: Do you agree with remakes?  (Read 5262 times)

Offline darklok

• Advanced Member
Do you agree with remakes?
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:56:22 PM »
Hello everybody. I just decided to use Revive on this section and see if I could make everything here come back to live :D... ... ... Yeah, am bored :v.
Well, the topic.

It's being long since companies start making remakes of old video games. But is it for the best? I mean, I admit that I like the idea of bringing old video games to this generation remaking them, that way more people is going to find out the existence of them (And then oldschool players could say things like "HA, I play the original one, pfff"). However, are they taking too much advantage from this "strategy"?
Up to now, the last remake that I have seen (out and about to be release) are the Resident Evil, Pokemon (too long name to write) and Zelda Majora's Mask (probably there are more, but those are the one I know) and I recognize that I'm looking for the Zelda MM one. But after so many remakes, do you think that companies are going to start slowing doing productivity on new games to bring only remakes? I heard that from other. Do you agree with that? I would like to know your opinions :3.

PS: Also, that way we post more :D! Everybody wins, c'mon :D!!

Offline Serika

• Vile Miscreant
  • Universal Moderator ULTIMATE
Re: Do you agree with remakes?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »
I don't think we're in any position to criticize game companies for selling remakes when so many of us buy the new version of FF4 that comes out every few years. I mean, goddamn, i have the SNES, Super Famicom, PS1, GBA, DS, and the PSP versions sitting up on my shelf. I guess you could say... Fool me once shame on you, fool me six times shame on my stupid ass. :lol:

Can't say i would be upset if Sony and Nintendo stopped making new games either, but if they did stop it wouldn't be because they're too busy with remakes. If all they put out is driving, FPS, and social networking games they are going to bore us out of wanting to buy anything new.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • FallenStar fail many times, yesh?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:54 AM »
Do you really have a Super Famicom, Serika? You're making me jealous and envious now. xD

Also, I have no issue with remakes and with ports of games, so long as they are done well and with full respect to the original title. For example, I absolutely love both the GBA/PSP (for both are the same, really, sans graphics) versions of FFIV (these are known as ports since they don't really alter the programming too much) and at the same time, I love the increased difficulty (read: cheapness) of the DS version (which is considered an actual remake since the programming is changed vastly).

I am also not 100% displeased with the Kingdom Hearts ReMix'd games being that they give us the Final Mix versions for four games that we never got over here in the first place. Although I haven't played it yet, I also think that the re-release of FFX and FFX-2 HD sound pretty damn good as well and I look forward to trying to play it at some point.

However, if they do not add anything to the game and/or alter the game beyond recognition, then, yes... Remakes and ports would not be something I'm a fan of. An example of not really adding anything to a port would be something like Chrono Trigger DS - whereas a bad port might be something like the PSX versions of FFVI and Chrono Trigger. These cheaply made grabs for money ought to be strung up in the streets and shot - Square practically KILLED the Chrono series, lamenting that not enough people bought CT: DS - My response to that is, "YOU DIDN'T GIVE US ANYTHING REALLY WORTH SPENDING 40 BUCKS ON. WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE BUY SOMETHING WE PRETTY MUCH ALREADY HAD?!"

So yes... I'm sorta in the middle on the road on remakes and ports. Sometimes they can be done well and sometimes, they can't. At least the success rate is higher than remade movies, though; those ALWAYS suck. (Ugh, damn Will Smith Karate Kid)

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Serika

• Vile Miscreant
  • Universal Moderator ULTIMATE
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
Do you really have a Super Famicom, Serika?

No. Actually, the SNES doesn't have a regional lock-out chip to keep you from playing Super Famicom games, it has a couple of flimsy plastic tabs that physically get in the way and block you from inserting the cartridge all the way. You can snap them right out with a pair of pliers and start playing Japanese games right away. This is especially useful because Super Famicom games are generally a lot cheaper on Amazon than their SNES counterparts.

Fun fact: The original Game Boy doesn't have any regional lock-out function AT ALL. I bought a copy of the first Magic Knight Rayearth game and it plays just fine on my Super Game Boy.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.