Author Topic: lets start an rpg maker 2003 game with ideas from this forum  (Read 2062 times)

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Advanced Member
lets start an rpg maker 2003 game with ideas from this forum
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
i can du the actual rpg maker work myself because i have the skills. i dont however know how to create the graphics so i need ideas and graphics but i can do the rpg maker work myself. rpg maker 2003 is the only rpg maker i have though.

Offline Drying

• Advanced Member
Re: lets start an rpg maker 2003 game with ideas from this forum
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
What did you have in mind?
Also, be aware that the RPG Maker skills are not the problem. It's mainly the time it takes to make something good.

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
i have the skills and the time to work on it. i am currently working on my own game named immortals path 2 but that is my idea. the ideas i have for that is in another topic called wetting sprites for rpg maker 2003. i am however willing to work on 2 projects at the same time if i get the graphics and the ideas for the forum based project.

Offline Lurkerson

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
Look, since you've been asking about you're project in the TalkBox I'll just go ahead and say what I think about it here.  But I warn you, it isn't flattering.

The game is bad.  Really bad.  There is little to suggest anything resembling effort in what I could stand to play.  There is no sense of who the characters are, what an immortal is in this setting, or why we should care.  The maps are nothing but vast empty space with nothing to make them interesting.  While the idea of having guilds is fine the execution is horrible, and the "tests" for joining are broken as you pass before anything can happen.  Not to mention that you can't decide to just not take the test.  If you talk to the wrong person it's happening whether you like it or not.  In addition to this I simply can't agree with having areas appear and disappear seemingly at random.  In particular I am talking about the computer guild, which I wound up joining by accident and afterwards found myself deprived of all offensive options.  And after deciding I needed to go back and try some of their unique equipment to see if that would give me something the place was gone.  Finally, while it may seem like nitpicking at this point, the errors in the text you did have, particularly with regards to capitalization, started grating on my nerves after a while and left a poor impression of the writing in general.  Occasional errors are understandable, but consistent problems are not.  Immortal's Path 2 was just a complete mess of a "game".

I know it isn't easy to make a game.  I've tried it myself, and have yet to succeed in making something I think is passable.  But please, please put some thought, effort, and testing into a project before you ask others for feedback.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:23:31 PM by Lurkerson »

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
the game is far from done but you cant have tested immortals path 2 because that havent been released. i have only released immortals path 1. i used final fantast 1 as inspiration so the characters dont have any back story. my main focus is on making it possible to complete the game. buildings that arent a part of a quest or the story wont be added until the story is done. some quests are still missing though but i am still working on it on a daily basis.

Offline Rainyday

• Advanced Member
  • ;_____;
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Hmmm, even with that in mind, I'm wondering what the appeal of the game is supposed to be.
Graphics and music aside, there are two main things that hold someone's interest in playing a game: the gameplay, and the story.
A very good story can make up for lack of gameplay, and vice versa. (Ignoring the way that some modern games use impressive graphics to make up for the lack of both gameplay and story)

In this case, neither of them stand out.
The battle system is simply a very standard RPG mechanic, and there isn't any variation to make it interesting: All four main characters also all have the exact same skills and minor differences in stats, to the extent that there isn't any reason to play them differently - you might as well just have one main character and let him attack 4 times per turn, it would feel the same. It doesn't bring anything new to the RPG mechanic either, so someone who's played a handful of standard RPGs before won't find anything to hold their interest.
Dungeons have little design sense, there's no challenge except simply walking, and even then you can almost always reach the exit simply by walking in a straight line for half a minute. There's no sense of challenge traversing a dungeon and consequently there's no feeling of achievement upon reaching the end.

I played up until the end of the tower and beat the dragon there, and it seemed like there was no way out except for walking back, which just felt like even more of a chore than the original journey up.

The story and dialogue are a completely different matter: I know you're basing this on final fantasy 1, but at the moment this has even less story than that.
We have no idea who these four people we're controlling are, we have no idea what immortals are, and we don't have any sympathy or motivation to go on their quest. We might as well be controlling anonymous faceless fighters for all we know about them.
The way people talk is completely unrealistic as well: I found it very hard to believe in the character of the king when he don't say anything to establish himself as a person, and talking to him for a second time he just says 'get lost', which completely stops you from taking the story seriously. Hardly any of the characters feel human.

It seems that the idea of the insanity virus is slowly building a plot up, but it's crudely done so far: one moment we're told 'okay, there's a virus' and about ten seconds later we talk to someone who says 'this was a plot and I'm being kept prisoner'. There's no feeling of intrigue about it, and once again not much reason to be concerned.

Overall, I understand that the goal is to finish it, but you need to consider the fact that as the game is now, it's not in a state that would be enjoyable for someone to play. The gameplay isn't enough to keep you playing, and there's no story to make you want to keep moving.

Also, four minor pet peeves:
1) 165MB of the game's 170MB is taken up by background music files. Wanting good music is fine, but it seems like there's a bit of mismatch of priorities going on. Also, I'm not sure if vocal tracks fit the 16-pit pixel feel of the game's graphics and plot.
2) I don't like how you can't run from most random encounters, it feels like too big a restriction of freedom.
3) There's pretty much no point to the tutorial building. Players aren't stupid, and everything you tell them is something that they can figure out for themselves when it happens.

You don't need someone standing next to a fake weapon shop sign to tell you 'this sign means weapon shop'. Not only does the sign have a sword on it, but even if you somehow failed to catch onto that, all you need to do is walk into the actual building with that sign and have the shopkeeper tell you 'welcome to the weapons shop.'

Try and think about it from the point of view of a first-time player that's just as intelligent as you.

4) Most importantly, spelling and grammar. I know english is a tough language, but if a game doesn't put in the effort to use the language properly, then players get the feeling that the creator didn't care, and they lose faith in the game. Really, the dialogue needs to be fixed up so it sounds realistic, flows naturally, and looks presentable.

With all that in mind, though, I appreciate the work you've put into this and I hope you put in the efforts to improve it. Every mistake is just another step to learning.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:16:16 PM by Rainyday »

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
there is several plot twists later on. (spoiler alert)the king for example turns out to be the main enemy. (spoiler alert over) the thing about being unable to run from battles is just a bug. i only found out about it recently. the dialogue at certain points change based on class. i will add a menual that tells the story in later releases. each weapon have different stats. the whips enables first strike, the spears attacks all enemies but reduce speed, the ranged weapons is weaker but increase speed while attacking all enemies while the swords are stronger but lacks special abilities. the mace increase magic. each class gets different battle music. there is also the alignment system which is an important part of class changing. the guilds enable the characters to fast forward to the final good or evil classes though but they will be gainable through the alignment system. an important part of the final classes is the quest system which is the only way to get equipment. the saint and the assasin gains weapon and armor through quests only. assasin armor is gained through quests that involves gathering items that are gained as random drops from specific encounters. the disease is cured through a saint`s guild quest. there is 4 different paths to take.(3 guilds and the standard path.)

Offline Rainyday

• Advanced Member
  • ;_____;
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
Yes, but that's not really enough variation to really keep interest.
Since all four characters can equip exactly the same things so far and still have the exact same skills, there's no significant benefit to playing them differently.

A manual to establish the setting is fine, but that doesn't change the fact that the way the plot progresses in the game is still clunky.

And even though the class system has some complexity to it, at the moment there's no reason you'd want to get good classes: their only benefit so far is to make the characters stronger so they can do better in a fighting system that isn't engaging in the first place.

It's all about player incentives.
Imagine if a player asked 'why do I want to keep playing this game?'
What answers would the game present to them?

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
i have changed the boss in the second cave to respond differently based on class. i have spent months on the game. there is class customization present where character can buy items to upgrade one or more character.(one per item.) near the end there will be quests that is required to get the ultimate equipment. (the ultima equipment is required to defeat the final boss.) there is one dungeon that doesnt have random encounters but where enemies are walking around instead. perhaps you should try to see the good things instead of criticizing me.