Author Topic: ARRGGGHHH! When Video game systems/games/emulator FAIL HARD!  (Read 9511 times)

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • FallenStar fail many times, yesh?
ARRGGGHHH! When Video game systems/games/emulator FAIL HARD!
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:53 AM »
I don't recall if there was an older topic about this but if there is, it's more than buried by now and more than likely populated with posts that would constitute thread necromancy if revived anyway.

In essence, this is a topic for us all to complain about those ever-so-special times when, through no fault of our own, our games tend to decide to stick their up-raised middle finger at us and laugh at our misery.

Such as today; after finishing up my latest playthrough of FFIX, I thought I'd go back and try to better my miserable "comedy of errors" against Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time... Everything was going great. I actually managed to play well for the first time in my life - certainly nothing reaching pro or even expert levels, but a far cry from what I'm used to.

I get all the way to the Forest Temple, got the Biggoron's Sword and everything... AND FOR NO FUCKING REASON, THE EMULATOR DECIDES TO CRASH UPON TRYING TO LOAD THE STALFOS ENEMY! GAHHHHHHHHH! Which means that I can no longer complete the game or even get past the fucking Forest Temple (let alone the Shadow temple) all because something got fucked up either with the emulator or the ROM.   :death:

Now, my friends... Let's hear your stories.  =P

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Scoozums

• Advanced Member
  • Laughter, Just an S away from Slaughter...
Re: ARRGGGHHH! When Video game systems/games/emulator FAIL HARD!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
Eh this isn't anything to do with an emulator but my first save of Xenosaga for PS2 had an interesting and inconvenient glitch... A key item needed to get the "double Buster" was inside a room but every time I try to access the room the game simply freezes... I could enter the room after I made a new file so somewhere along the lines the first save developed a bit of corruption.

WoW on free server after a new update... Falling thru the floor in Undercity to my death and then being spawned in Dalaran as a ghost with absolutely no way to get to UC or my body... With the unstuck option not working and all conventional means exhausted I spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to get to my body before making an attempt to ask people for help.  Turned out all I needed to do was use the server's site to port my character somewhere else... Figures... =_=

Also falling thru the floor and needing to use a spirit healer because the glitch caused my body to be too far outside the normal boundaries of the game...

FFX getting all the items for the final summon except for one... Not being able to go back to the temple that it was supposed to be in and only being able to obtain the item required for the summon when I enter the area from which there is no returning... Sucked hard knowing I could get all the items needed but could not go back and actually get the summon I wanted when I had them...

Wonderland Online... Simply put... Translation fails really badly in some cases and Black screens happen when you play another game in fullscreen mode...

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:56 AM »
FFX getting all the items for the final summon except for one... Not being able to go back to the temple that it was supposed to be in and only being able to obtain the item required for the summon when I enter the area from which there is no returning... Sucked hard knowing I could get all the items needed but could not go back and actually get the summon I wanted when I had them...

If you are referring to the Destruction Sphere treasures, you automatically get the one in Bevelle before you beat it - you have NO CHOICE but to get it in order to progress past the temple at all, so you cannot have missed that item at all. And all the rest... the only way you can miss them is if you have to fight the Dark Aeons for them and don't have enough strength to beat them. But that only happens in FFX:International and FFX: Pal versions... neither easily obtained in the U.S.

As for the other summons, you only really need to access their locations to get them, save for Yojimbo (who you must pay for) and Magus Sisters (who you have to beat that training summoner you meet along the way many times) in Remiem Temple.

Also, it doesn't have to be emulator issues; it can be things like scratched discs or such.  =P

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Neil

• Hero wannabe
  • Advanced Member
  • Currently a Chroche Fan Club member!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
I was playing Pokemon FireRed, everything went fine, until I defeated the Elite Four, watch the credits, save the game, and found out the save file is corrupted.. The weird thing is, the file will always corrupt whenever you save after beating the game.

In Xenogears, there is a room that produces many 'save game' icons (these icons will be placed all over the world so that you can save the game), and you can get stuck if you go near any of these icons.
The world of Musubi is the ideal world for me. I get to do what I want, and that includes making girls desperate whenever I want.

Offline Ranpalan

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:20 AM »
That's not all that surprising, actually. Wherever you are after finishing the game may likely not be a location that can be specified in a save file, or it may actively protect people from saving there. Not hard to implement.
Always happy to get PMs/IMs

Offline Serika

• Vile Miscreant
  • Universal Moderator ULTIMATE
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
In Xenogears, there is a room that produces many 'save game' icons (these icons will be placed all over the world so that you can save the game), and you can get stuck if you go near any of these icons.

Are you talking about the debug room? That's the only room that i found unstable, without gameshark that is. Using a "save anywhere" code i once ruined a file by saving in the Tower of Babel.

More recently, i noticed my USB controller doesn't work with ZSNES, bit it works just fine on VirtuaNES. After about 10 minutes on ZSNES the left directional button is constantly activated and i have to restart the emulator.
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Offline Neil

• Hero wannabe
  • Advanced Member
  • Currently a Chroche Fan Club member!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:52 AM »

Are you talking about the debug room? That's the only room that i found unstable, without gameshark that is. Using a "save anywhere" code i once ruined a file by saving in the Tower of Babel.

More recently, i noticed my USB controller doesn't work with ZSNES, bit it works just fine on VirtuaNES. After about 10 minutes on ZSNES the left directional button is constantly activated and i have to restart the emulator.

Yep, that's the one. IIRC that room messes with the frame rate due to those icons.
The world of Musubi is the ideal world for me. I get to do what I want, and that includes making girls desperate whenever I want.

Offline Ultima02

• The Autistic Survivor
  • Advanced Member
  • Autism is not a disability: I have it, and love it
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
Probably the biggest fail for me is more of a player/AI-reaction fail, but I still have to express this.

BGM:

It's the fight against Unlimited Hazama in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift's Arcade mode.

Maybe I just suck at this game, or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I got the game for the 3DS the day before I encountered him for the first time.

BUT I HAD TO DROP THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL TO BEGINNER JUST TO GET A SINGLE HIT IN EDGEWAYS WITH MY BEST CHARACTER, NOEL VERMILLION!!

Forget Distortion Drives.  I COULDN'T EVEN PULL A WEAK ATTACK WITH NOEL ON EASY MODE!!

I could barely pull it off on Beginner mode for crying out loud.

That Ouroburos can hit from anywhere on the  :censored:  stage!

He drains your health if you're in your melee range!!

And omfg that  :censored:  "Eternal Coils of the Dragon Serpent" Distortion Drive...

...GAAAH!!

Psychic/Cheating/Aggravating AI at its finest.

Why does the barrier have to leech HP??

Why does he have to use "Eternal Coils of the Dragon Serpent" as his default Distortion Drive?!?

AND WHY THE F :censored:  DOES HAZAMA HATE ME SO MUCH!?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:56:54 PM by Ultima02 »
Autism is a difference

Autism is NOT a disability.

Offline xXDNAXx

• Advanced Member
  • YarBlarg!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
Ahhh, Console Fails. Though I haven't had an emulator fail...yet,  I have been through too many 360s with a damn disk tray problem. Good ole Micro$uck.

Offline Mydnyght Edgeworth

• Advanced Member
  • BRING BACK HYDROX!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
Emulator fails? About the only one I've had that I know is from playing the Genesis game Phantasy Star IV. One emulator would always crash at a certain point in a certain boss fight. Frustrated me quite a bit until I got me a different Genesis emulator. That worked just fine. I was able to beat the boss and get back on the road to ultimately beating the game.

This loli is not wearing any pants.
That renders your argument invalid.

Offline Ultima02

• The Autistic Survivor
  • Advanced Member
  • Autism is not a disability: I have it, and love it
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Another player/AI-reaction fail.

BlazBlue: CT

Noel Vermillion (player) Versus Iron Tager (AI) in Score Attack mode

Try and win.  I DARE you.
Autism is a difference

Autism is NOT a disability.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
I realize this topic is about 3 years old and no one's posted on it since, but I feel like I really have to rant again about Ocarina of Time and Project 64.

This time, I find myself stuck no matter what I do. I mean before, that issue was random and couldn't be pinned down but this time... AEISH...

My issue this time is two-fold. On my main Ocarina of Time ROM - the one I've been using all this time - for some random ass reason, I can glitch through the floor of the elevator in the Forest Temple and just go and get up to the boss door without doing any of the temple - which would be great except you need the boss key so you have to do the temple anyway. But what the  :censored:?!

I thought perhaps I could get around this by using a different ROM. Fair enough. I downloaded a different ROM, go to the Forest Temple and... YAY! IT WAS FIXED! I could go through the Forest Temple the right way.  Only... SHIT... now the damn issue I've had before with the game freezing during the well-draining (after playing the Song of Storms as a kid in the windmill) is back to haunt my ass.

I swear to fucking God, that God/Fate/Haruhi/Nanoha does NOT want me to ever play Ocarina of Time even though I've had virtually no issues with Super Mario 64 and only a bit of framerate issue with Mario Kart 64 (sorta lags a little). I mean, bloody hell... the only reason I got an n64 Emulator was so I could PLAY Ocarina of Time... but now I can't even do that. WHAT THE  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:?!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

The preceding rant was paid for by... well, no one. It was free so feel free to ignore it. I just needed to vent.   :lol:

Well... we're fucked...