Author Topic: Man... (Super Metroid)...  (Read 2237 times)

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • FallenStar fail many times, yesh?
Man... (Super Metroid)...
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:24:28 AM »
Man, I just kicked some serious ass (for me, anyway) on Super Metroid.  Not only did I beat the game without cheats (for the second or third time (or even fourth as I only died during the final escape sequence once), but I collected 86% of the items and finished in 2:35, getting Samus to show off her bikini to me.

For me, personally, that is perhaps the quickest I've ever gotten through Super Metroid successfully and that is a new record for me.  I did get a 100% playthrough once before, but that took me like 3:50, so I didn't get the best ending.

Still... this time around, I actually had plenty of time to stop and save those stupid wall-jumping monkeys and that super-jumping seahorse thingie (yeah, so I don't know the real names for these things, sue me  :P  ), and THAT, most of all, is what I feel proud and happy with myself about because I've never had time to go back and save them as well as myself.

So taking stock, I did the following:

Rank C:  I beat the game
Rank B:  I beat the game without cheats
Rank A:  I beat the game without cheats and got 86%
Rank S:  I beat the game without cheats, got 86% and got the best ending
Rank Super S:  I beat the game without cheats, got 86%, got the best ending, AND managed to save those friendly creatures.

:clap:

Well... we're fucked...

JackO

Re: Man... (Super Metroid)...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
I'm so proud of you, Star  :smartass:

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
You people depress me. I finally do something great in an action video game without cheating and no one says anything other than my favorite boy-toy, JackO.   :crying:

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Quagmire

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
I never knew you COULD cheat in Super Metroid...  Though back when I had it, that was before I was internetting.  Anyway, you blew away MY performance in it for sure.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
Oh don't tell me you've never heard of Game Genie or Pro Action Replay devices  O_o;

Mind you, there's also in-game tricks to speed you up with like the mockball, wall-jump, etc, etc, but I didn't use most of those - save for the wall-jump which is the only thing I can seem to do with any measure of success.

Well... we're fucked...

Offline oramisho

• Advanced Member
  • too busy beign lazy.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
Congrats, 86% is pretty good,as some powerups are hidden absurdly well, making the last 10% or so take either hours to find, or gamefaqs.

For your next SS rank, either beat the game in under 2 hours, or perform 100% completeion, or sequance break at least once.

for SSS rank,  either accomplish 100% in under 2 hours, beat the game with less then 10% item collection, or sequance break no less then 2 times.

Offline Quagmire

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
Oh don't tell me you've never heard of Game Genie or Pro Action Replay devices  O_o;

Mind you, there's also in-game tricks to speed you up with like the mockball, wall-jump, etc, etc, but I didn't use most of those - save for the wall-jump which is the only thing I can seem to do with any measure of success.

D'oh, forgot about that!  I even had a Game Genie for my NES and Genesis.  I was thinking of actual cheat codes programed into the game.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
D'oh, forgot about that!  I even had a Game Genie for my NES and Genesis.  I was thinking of actual cheat codes programed into the game.

Haha... you idiot =P   You couldn't see the forest for the trees, there, huh? Next time, don't try to think *too* hard... you'll end up outsmarting yourself the way I always do   :lol:

Thing is, I play Super Metroid on an emulator and as such, I can use Game Genie *or* Pro-Action Replay codes (a far cry better than being limited to that stupid Game Genie apparatus back when the system was new). I usually used to just use Infinite Energy codes so I wouldn't die, so to beat the game for the first time *without* using such a code really made me feel good about myself because I suck SO BADLY at action-based games.   :death:

Congrats, 86% is pretty good,as some powerups are hidden absurdly well, making the last 10% or so take either hours to find, or gamefaqs.

For your next SS rank, either beat the game in under 2 hours, or perform 100% completeion, or sequance break at least once.

for SSS rank,  either accomplish 100% in under 2 hours, beat the game with less then 10% item collection, or sequance break no less then 2 times.

Ora, you missed the part in my original post where I said I *did* get 100% in one of my games, though it took me 3:50 to do so. (I know, generally, where everything is... it's just not usually worth it to get some of the stuff like extra energy tanks, extra missiles, etc) especially considering how little damage Missiles actually do (hell, your Plasma beam does more damage than that).

Well... we're fucked...

Offline oramisho

• Advanced Member
  • too busy beign lazy.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
well you didn't list it as one of your ranks so it doesn't count so there I win.

Seriously though only crazy people spend thier time speed running these games  for 100% and sequance breaking and doing the insane stuff  are in desperate need of new games.(or just those who want to waste hours of thier life soley to brag about it for a day)

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
I know this topic hasn't been posted in for 2 years now, but considering I've just beaten my old record, I think it's a bit time for a revival. =P

This time, my friends, I have:

A.) gotten all items and missile expansions
B.) done it under 3 hours to get the best ending
C.) did it all without cheats
D.) saved the friendly creatures

So, short of doing it in under 2 hours, I've accomplished pretty much what oramisho suggested. It took me two years to do and I lost the ability to use the mockball because my analog stick sucks. xD

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Jackkosa

• Dedicated Gamer
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
This place is not as busy as it use to be huh...

Anyways on Topic; Congratulations! That must of taken quite a bit of skill, memorization, and free time to pull it off.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
A.) I'm pretty sure Oramisho is no longer around
B.) I know this would kinda be considered thread necro'ing but this forum is all but dead save for Lisk and Rainyday and their games and whatnot, so I feel no desire to delete or lock posts for thread necro'ing at this point.

That being said, I've finally done something that Oramisho suggested I do; I actually beat Super Metroid with 100% item collection, no cheats, and with a final time of 1:58. I did a lot of sequence breaking - the mockball in particular - and so I don't really think I can do any better than this as I was going as fast as I could, lol. Short of me learning how to shinespark diagonally (something I still have great problems with), this might just very well be as good as I can get.

Well... we're fucked...

Offline Serika

• Vile Miscreant
  • Universal Moderator ULTIMATE
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:55 PM »
That's impressive. I can't play through this without forgetting a few missles at least. If we were to do a race you would totally kick my ass. :lol:
On the internet you're only as smrt as your spell checker.

Offline FallenStar

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
One of the advantages of playing through the game so many times is that you learn to remember where everything is. I wish, though, that I could do a race with someone, but I have no real means to capture footage - i.e. like with a webcam or something - except for JNES, and that's an extremely *slow* process.  (large files too as you might remember)  =_=

Well... we're fucked...